x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CF R/W/speed for CE3 (MobilePro 900)

doug-jensen Page Icon Posted 2019-03-21 5:45 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

What is the R/W speed for the CF in an NEC MobilePro 900? I want to add a 32GB CF card but don't want to pay for higher speeds than the 900 can do.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-03-21 8:01 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2019-03-22 7:53 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

My 3 cents
- I have never seen CF speed more than 1,5MB/s on any Windows CE machine I have including PocketPCs
- the pricier card performed almost twice as fast as cheaper card while neither of those were anywhere close to limits
- I learned it too late but even small read cache might drastically improve the speeds because it will at least cache the FAT which is essential to read data and is disabled on each and every device I saw

Edited by Alt Bass 2019-03-22 7:57 PM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2019-03-23 9:11 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

(the pricier card had 266x rating, another had 133x)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2019-03-24 11:59 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I agree with Alt Bass. Save your money and go with the cheapest.

Unless you have a huge file, and I'm talking in the hundreds of Mb range, you will not really notice the difference between 33 seconds to write a file and 27 seconds. Reading data is more limited by MP900 than the card and is impacted by the available space on the MP for data storage, the way the app is designed, i.e. pure code versus an interpreter, and how the data is being implemented while reading it.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-03-25 9:59 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Agreed as well. There is no nominal advantage of faster cards here because they can't write into the buffer faster then it can be cleared, so there is no advantage in having higher cache figures and more advanced transfer technology.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2019-03-30 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Alt Bass - 2019-03-22 10:53 PM

My 3 cents
- I have never seen CF speed more than 1,5MB/s on any Windows CE machine I have including PocketPCs
- the pricier card performed almost twice as fast as cheaper card while neither of those were anywhere close to limits
- I learned it too late but even small read cache might drastically improve the speeds because it will at least cache the FAT which is essential to read data and is disabled on each and every device I saw

BTW, I mean the OS level cache which is set up somewhere in HKLM/SYSTEM/StorageManager
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9