x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Talk me out of it (considering sale of J-720/728)

Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2019-04-15 10:23 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi to all,
I have been a die hard Jornada 720 enthusiast... Upgraded my J720 to 728 ROM... Tried everything imaginable (including JLime) to make it retain internet capability, and to get optimal presentation performance... but the device limitations are catching up to me.

Lately, I've been making more use of an Asus eee pc 900 with a light but very capable Linux distro (Antix v.17). This eeepc orginally had Win XP, which had become totally useless, due anti-virus program hogging ALL resources. After removing WinXP and installing Antix, it is a completely usable device, for internet, presentations, etc.

The downside of the eeepc is that it is about twice the size of the J-720, and battery life is less than half that of the J-720 (even with an oversized after-market battery).

But the larger screen, with much better resolution allows preparing graphics and presentations, and there is no need to pack accessories (such as camera, LAN or WLan card, VGA output card, etc.).

So... what to do with the J-720. I hate to see it sitting on the shelf. It has a lot of utility remaining, in the things that it does well.

Here's a list of what I have... your advice would be appreciated (why not to sell?... what price?... where?... Sell as lot or break it up?...)

-Jornada 720 with installed 728 ROM board (720 ROM is spare)
8 GB CF card is installed. It is divided into partitions for WinCE and JLime.
Lot's of CE software pre-installed.
The JLime package also contains the standard included software.
-Charging dock (with compatible USB cable)
-Charger (110 vac, 2.5 amp)
-Extra battery
-Spare replacement keyboard
-HP Pocket Camera (original box, pouch, accessories)
-CF to PCMCIA card adapter
-WLAN CF Card (TEW-222CF)
-Blue Tooth CF Card (Ambicom BT2000-CF)
-Wired LAN Card (PCMCIA) Kingston EtheRx IC PC Card (with adapter cable)
-Margi Presenter to Go (with all accessories and original box)
(I also have a CD of Microsoft PowerPoint 2004. If that is installed on a WinXP machine, the Margi Presenter installater will add a conversion utility to the PPT toolbar, which allows easy conversion and preview of converted presentations on the PC.)
-A separate CF card with backup copies of numerous WinCE and JLime programs.
(including Softmaker office 2006, RedGear, Laridian Bible Reader, and many more...)

Everything is in Excellent like new condition... and works very well, up to its limitations.

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2019-04-16 3:59 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

My opinion…for what it's worth…sell everything as a unit. Don't break it up. Put the 720 rom back in it, sell the 728 rom alone.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-04-16 11:15 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I agree with Rich. As for your EEE 900, you might look at Leeenux: http://www.leeenux-linux.com/

Custom built for the EEE series. It's based on 16.04, but that's still being supported.

Jake
 Top of the page
Nuketank Page Icon Posted 2019-04-19 1:05 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

My two cents:
Try to see if the J720 still has a place in your life.
I keep machines with a fraction of the utility your machine has around, for a wide variety of reasons.
Mostly simple ones, admittedly, such as calculator, PIM, notepad, classic games, and experiment bed.
Then again, I've always loved legacy platforms, so these slot in nicely alongside my other horrifyingly ancient experiments and devices...
Before its backlight went, my T5200 had my favorite "night-time" display. Just bright enough to be visible without blowing your eyeballs out.
Great for wandering around in Monster Tower, playing Solitaire, or even just reading something before bed.

But if you're not like me and don't find joy in pushing ancient devices to their limits, or honestly believe someone like me would benefit more than you, then I'd also agree with Rich, and sell the unit as a complete set.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-04-19 3:54 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I agree with Nuketank, too. The money you'll get for it vs giving up a legend, where does the scale tip? Rich and Richard Plume jettisoned a lot of their stuff, but they were doing that because of moving, retirement, etc.

Unless there's a pressing need for $150, can't see how you'd feel good about this in a year

FWIW,
Jake
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2019-04-22 3:28 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thank you all for your input. I see the wisdom in the recommended sale arrangement.

I have not yet decided to sell the J720/728 and accessories.
But I suspect that I'll be making less frequent use of it, as time goes on.

As you said, I probably would be disappointed with sale proceeds via ebay.
Meanwhile, it is unofficially available, if someone happens to make an offer that strikes me right.
(Send me a PM if interested.)

Again, my sincere appreciation to all.

Top of the page
Diema Page Icon Posted 2019-05-22 3:19 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I realize I'm a bit late to the party, but if I may:

If you feel it's no longer meeting your use requirements, then that's fine. I don't think anyone would fault you for wanting to do what you wish with the device you own, but in my opinion, it's genuinely worth keeping around even if you don't have a direct use case for it all the time. Maybe it's because I have baby hands, but I find the keyboard much more pleasant to use on the day-to-day than a phone touchscreen. This is coming from someone who uses a Note 5 - a fairly friggin' large smartphone. I often find myself reaching for my 720 rather than the Note if I have some ideas I quickly want to type down.

It may be not-so-rational to carry both a Jornada and a modern smartphone everywhere with you, but if you find simple catharsis in just being able to type like you'd want to on a desktop keyboard but in mobile form, I think it's worth keeping the Jornada around for that one rainy day every so often.

And... Maybe I have a soft spot for Windows CE 3.x.
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2019-05-23 6:34 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Diema,
Thank you for your thoughts. I have never owned a smartphone, and do see a lot of functional value in the J720 / 728.
I also have a "soft spot for Windows CE 3".
But with the passage of time, I see the need to reduce the number of things which have been gathered over the years.
To that end, I have already made this unit and its peripherals available for sale.
See https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18595&po...
(I would be happy to consider your offer.)

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-07-01 1:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Use it as a DateTime clock...see my post on HTML based simple, scrolling, and day of week +date + time options...more useful than any clock, color customizable font size and font family.

Use to learn basic HTML 4 webpage design which can be rendered on most any device, using H-bomb...its fun and you can text/send a copy to your friends phone or email. I see it as my version of candy crush game equivalent.

Use it to learn rgb or hex color codes in html browsers...again can learn something universally applicable to nearly all browsers on any device.

Use it as a photo or image slide show device using html files rendered through Pocket internet explorer...and can be uploaded to any device

Use it as a learning tool for all of the above and more...

use it as a dedicated client to control esp8266 microcontrollers like the sonoff switch...control lights at home, sprinklers, or as a weather station,etc.

These are powerful devices even to this day! You just have to be imaginative. I have or will have a demo for each of these uses, stay tuned.

Edited by joval 2019-07-01 1:27 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.183 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10