x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

MP900 CMONEX 2.0 wireless modem help

Lost Cosmonaut Page Icon Posted 2019-04-30 2:00 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello all,

I recently got a MP900 from UsedHandhelds and I really like the form factor and all that. I updated it to CMONEX's 2.0 ROM and it's been running great. I also bought a sealed Linksys WPC11 v3 PCMCIA card from eBay around the same time. After I updated the ROM I tried the card and I can't get it to connect to anything. I even went out and bought a cheap router to run in dedicated 2.4ghz 802.11B mode to see if that would help. My 2.4Gghz routers show up in the window when I plug in the card, I can enter all the info and hit "connect" but it just sits there and doesn't do anything, it just says Status: Scanning... and Signal Strength: Low no matter how close I am to the router. Currently trying WEP/Shared security but I also tried WPA-PSK, neither worked.

Any ideas what I could be missing?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-04-30 12:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

LC,

I would suggest that as a first port of call you test it with security disabled completely. This will let you know if you are troubleshooting a security issue or a driver issue.

Have you tried using the driver in the HCL?

I suggest that you install vxUtil as this is super useful for testing and troubleshooting https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/1046/Cambridge_Computer_Corporation/vx...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2019-04-30 4:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Did the card ever work in that Mobilepro? Is it possible the previous owner flashed it with the 4.0 firmware uograde? Or is this only a new problem after installing the MP900 custom rom?

Try a soft reset and try to connect to an unsecured wifi signal.
 Top of the page
Lost Cosmonaut Page Icon Posted 2019-04-30 5:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

So I found the problem. Went to put the card back in and it wouldn't go (was seating fine before) so I shined a flashlight in there and there's debris in the pins and some bent pins. Everything else works so I'll just keep it for now and maybe sell it for parts later on and get another one or something.

Oh well.

It was seating fine before, must have been something along the walls of the card slot that the card pushed further the more I messed with it.

Edited by Lost Cosmonaut 2019-04-30 5:25 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-04-30 5:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Are you feeling brave enough to open it up and un-bend them?
 Top of the page
Lost Cosmonaut Page Icon Posted 2019-04-30 10:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I tried opening it a bit but didn't want to go too far without knowing what I was in for. Is there a teardown guide anywhere?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2019-04-30 11:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yes there is. Go HERE and find the 900C and then follow the link to the downloads, you will see the repair guide there.
 Top of the page
Lost Cosmonaut Page Icon Posted 2019-05-01 5:08 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Rich Hawley - 2019-04-30 11:59 PM

Yes there is. Go HERE and find the 900C and then follow the link to the downloads, you will see the repair guide there.

THANK YOU!

The culprit

Nice and straight now!

Card seats properly now!

AAannnd, it works! IE doesn't access pages and I can't get mail to work, but Opera Mini is working at least so it's something. NetStumbler (always was a dream of mine to have a HPC with NetStumbler) won't see the card for some reason either, not sure what's going on there. Still playing with stuff, but it works!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-05-01 9:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If I recall, NetStumbler/MinStumber are fairly chipset constrained. You probably need the more common Prism 2.5 chip rather than a 3.0 chip to get it working.

Pocket IE won't work because the modern web requires TLS, and it can only just manage SSL 2, let alone anything newer. >_<
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9