x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP320LX Serial Configuration

macatprw1 Page Icon Posted 2019-05-09 4:00 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've searched the Forums and haven't found quite what I need, so I thought I'd throw this question out there....

I'm trying to use this device to connect to a computer (not a laptop or PC) running VxWorks, via RS232 serial connection. We have been using Laptop's running Hyperterm and a "straight" DB9 to DB25 cable to communicate with this system. The Laptops are big and bulky so I wanted to try and use this hand-held device. I had used this same device about 10 years or so back and it worked just fine but now I can't seem to get it to connect. We have been trying to configure the Terminal software to make the connection but it insists on a telephone number being entered into the profile. I know ten years ago that someone had figured out a way to "cheat" the profile into making this serial connection without using a Area Code and Phone Number. I seem to recall when you clicked on the profile icon, it would display the small Splash Screen for "Dialing" (but I don't think it had the whole Area Code and Number), then the Terminal Window would open and we'd be connected.

I would appreciate any help with regarding to configuring this handheld device!

Thanks,

Mark

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-05-09 4:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the site.

I'm trying to rack my brain as to whether or not that was possible. It has been a long time!

You might be better off just tring an actual terminal emulation program that was designed to specifically do what you need. The SCL has quite a few options https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/search.asp?freetext=terminal&Search=Se...

You'll probably get a better feature set out of them. For your use, it would be worth considering licensing vxHPC.
 Top of the page
macatprw1 Page Icon Posted 2019-05-09 7:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

C:Amie - Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I work for the government and they are more than likely going to make someone lug around a huge laptop before they spend too much more money. I talked them into 20 USD for the HP cable because they, like myself, recall using the darn thing. Maybe someone else will have ideas. Maybe if I can get it connected to a laptop, I can find a terminal program for free that might work.

Of course I could always go out and buy a Rasberry Pi if I get tired of lugging laptops around and I can't get this HP to work!!

Cheers!

Mark
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-05-09 7:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

In terminal, create a new connection
Set Area Code to #
Set Telephone Number to #
Go to configure
Enable manual dial
Try enabling terminal window before dialling

But do look through the SCL.
 Top of the page
macatprw1 Page Icon Posted 2019-05-13 7:07 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Success! hey thanks for the help man. I was able to connect to our Vxworks processor. Took a couple of tries though as the Remote Connection setting for Manual Dial did not retain the first time.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-05-14 4:55 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Checking that for you was the first time I've booted a 320LX in a l-o-n-g time.
 Top of the page
cgallaty Page Icon Posted 2021-10-19 2:33 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I used to pop on to Cisco switches with my Palm III back in the day, was great fun. Having the *actual* keyboard on an HP 320LX (not to mention 640 pixels of text) would have been a dream. Not light but guessing it gets the job done. Surprised there was never an app specifically for that with macro support and the like.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10