x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ESP 8266 webcontroller and Jornada 720

1 2 3 4
ntware Page Icon Posted 2019-06-04 3:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

joval - 2019-06-03 8:42 PM

Ntware...have you seen this, is it of any help? https://www.instructables.com/id/Serial-Port-Over-WiFi/

This is about using WiFi as the transmission layer for an UART communication. What we are trying to do is the opposite, using UART as a transmission layer for WiFi packets (in a very generic way of saying it).
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2019-06-04 3:16 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Dave Wurm - 2019-06-03 2:19 PM
This would address a major shortfall of the J720. But another is lack of a modern internet browser (with up to date SSL and JavaScript capabilities). Would a modern browser be included in an ESP 32 project?

One shortfall at a time... first we need to address the lack of connectivity. The browser will always be an issue since the Jornada is simply not powerful enough to do all the encryption/decryption and rendering needed for modern webpages. To me, the best alternative once we have good connectivity on the Jornada is to use RDP and connect to a Windows XP server somewhere. Then you can have a lot more flexibility. Even though Windows XP is an outdated OS, you can still run the latest Chromium (open source Chrome) in it! Not to mention all those Windows apps you can run! This has been my best use scenario with my J720
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-06-04 3:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I Agree...but RDP frame rates won't work well for video media, so there will always be limitations in that browser issue realm. But having a secure web connection would be a real accomplishment especially for IoT use and file transfer, etc. Go for it !

Edited by joval 2019-06-04 3:54 PM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2019-06-04 10:27 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The Jornada wasn’t ever able to play video reliably not even back in the day of its glory (2001). I wouldn’t expect for these updates we are planning to make it play YouTube or any other type of web video in any way, unless the main CPU is changed to something else.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-06-04 10:42 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ntware - 2019-06-04 10:27 PM

The Jornada wasn’t ever able to play video reliably not even back in the day of its glory (2001). I wouldn’t expect for these updates we are planning to make it play YouTube or any other type of web video in any way, unless the main CPU is changed to something else.
I wouldn't quite agree with that. You had to optimise the video, but you could use DVD Catalyst or the like and happily watch a DVD on it if you had GAPI installed + TCPMP.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2019-06-04 11:02 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I remember back in the day I tried many different codecs and formats, but could only get around 5-6 fps. Apparently the jornada just couldn’t handle the compression algorithms fast enough. If you know a way to play videos at 20-30 fps on the Jornada, I would very much like to try that again
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-06-04 11:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

DVD Catalyst with the optimisation rating you'll find in the Devices & Specifications database + GAPI + TCPMP. I can't remember the frame rate but it was passable from memory. GAPI was the piece of the puzzle you might have been missing. It couldn't cope without it.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-06-05 4:53 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

This works...below attachment. I think the 720 lcd screen is a bit laggy for video though.

unfortunately the 4k file won't upload

Edited by joval 2019-06-05 5:06 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-06-05 8:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, screen refresh and black depth were an issue. How important is quality though? You are already at 640x240 pixels. Probably best not to assume an immersive cinematic experience.

Anyway. Back to topic!
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-06-05 2:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

The ESP32 has a built in temperature, touch, and hull sensor and more memory than the Esp8266. It is also dual core...much faster and has more memory for programs and file storage. No WEP WiFi option though a s the esp8266 has or had in station mode.

Thus it's possible to make a skylight opening program that would open and close at a certain temp, be accessible remotely by say any or the hpc browser as well as by a touch switch. Further, the hull sensor could be used to verify that it's open or closed.

They cost about 6 bucks or so. Think about it as a possible extension of your hpc...

Oh, it also has blue tooth as well. Am I getting you drooling yet??

Edited by joval 2019-06-05 2:38 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-06-05 2:35 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

For what is required to decode WPA, presumably the extra horse power doesn't matter too much?

They are both 3.3v

ESP8266 ( https://bbs.espressif.com/viewtopic.php?t=133 )
56-170 mA

I couldn't see a similar comparison for the ESP32.

As I assume that the plan is to take 5/3.3v rails from the PCMCIA pinout ( http://rtfm.vtt.net/pinouts/data/PcCard_pinout.shtml.htm ). We are better off with whatever is lower power.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-06-05 2:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

They run off 3v but the boards have a micro sub connect at 5v with a voltage regulator down to 3v. There is a sleep mode that uses micro amps as a standby and can be programmed to wake up at certain intervals.

Put one outside and make a weather station for your hpc...log temperature and display on your hpc, turn sprinklers on or off, detect whether the gate or garage or entry door is open. Wifi not an issue for monitoring function...so go for it
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-06-05 2:54 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The thermal sensor could be put to good use to manage the power level and prevent over heat. The problem might be that most PCMCIA slots are pretty much Faraday caged. That could pose a problem trying to get a wifi signal from within the chassis.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-06-05 3:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Maybe this is a step in the right direction https://randomnerdtutorials.com/how-to-make-two-esp8266-talk/

What are Bluetooth options for the 720?
 Top of the page
forbidden64 Page Icon Posted 2019-06-05 3:46 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Has anyone considered designing a PCMCIA type II compatible card with 'internet on a chip' technology and a bluetooth chip[and wifi] along with some other goodies all on one convenient package? Most other computers that run into this problem use something like that to get around some pretty extreme limitations. I bet one could be built into an old PCMCIA card with the antenna in the grey plastic bubble like all wifi cards have. There is no shortage of these cards laying around... In addition, any functionality that is lacking on the host machine could be supplemented on this card. Just pack it on both sides. Modern chips use very low power and have low TDP...

As an example, look at 'basic on bails'(a play on Ruby on Rails). It's literally internet with WPA2 over wifi running on 1mhz machines from the early 80s and then having had basic commands ported in to support direct commands to the chip. The trick is that the integrated hardware is all housed in a chip. I believe there are two of them on the market right now.

Of course, I have my hands full at the moment just learning CE programming...so count me out of designing it for a few years. That said, if someone here is familiar with writing windows drivers, just look at the datasheets/schematics for some of these projects. The 'Commodore Flyer modem' is one example with ethernet and also built in RS232 conversion support for ethernet. In fact, I see no reason why it won't work as is with the serial port on a palmtop.

I can't resist throwing this in the mix as well...since the PCMCIA bus type II is a micro PCI bus, you could actually have 3 or 4 cards packed onto one card. You could put flash memory and map that, then ram and some video hasher co-processor and map that, then wifi and bluetooth and map that...and you could even put a 3g/4g data chip on there! Sky is the limit! Anything that can go on a PCI card/peripheral bus can go onto a pcmcia card and just because it is one slot doesn't mean you only have one slot in theory...as long as you don't exceed the power driving limits of the card slot.

Edited by forbidden64 2019-06-05 3:56 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9