x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Who put the H in HPC???

joval Page Icon Posted 2019-07-06 4:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Who put the H in HPC:Factor??

Sometime in the distant past, circa 2007 I believe, I happened upon this site. I subsequently struggled to get my wifi card to work on the J720, then network shares, later RDP, or opera mini. Most of these attempts looked easy enough, but generally wound up being long and winding journeys into the unknown with unfriendly beasts snarling and hissing from numerous dark corners.

It took courageous persistence to triumph in the end...and the road was filled with a small infinity of lifeless carcasses, all that remained of the various battles and onslaughts necessary keep the "Glorious Federation of HPC's" from facing what seemed to be inevitable: extinction.

We were the Heroes of a Thousand Faces (or perhaps just few dozen) that Joseph Campbell wrote about. Battling against the darkness, but no longer alone (with the Factor at our side), we somehow survived the ordeals, this right of passage. We triumphed at times and we failed far too often. We were the "Heroes" who kept the flame alive. So I ask: Who put the H in HPC:Factor??? H as in Hell, or H as in Hero...you decide...

But, we are not the only ones to suffer in this manner...there have been others who came before us. Although heavily bruised and battered, and ultimately cut down... we will never let the memory of these brave souls be forgotten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFLqw9pCV14

Edited by joval 2019-07-06 5:18 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-07-08 4:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

"Well, how the Hell are ya?"

Hmm, so how NOT to get a response, eh??Actually, I see I need to clarify. In reality I don't find that setting up these retro hpc's is too different than most computer install experiences.

How many times in the past could someone pick up a new word processor or game and try to install it on a windows computer...too often I remember myself saying to myself and others, "oh, this will only take 5 minutes to install then we can go out and have lunch." Several hours later I'm still parked in front of the monitor dealing with alerts and error messages. So some is just the result of/ the nature of the beast.

Looking back at the browser wars...I recently picked up an old copy circa 2000 of the Javascript bible. The author admits that Netscape could render this or that, Internet explorer would render vb script but not javascript functions. Web page designers must have been going nuts...finding in many cases their content would not render. Kind of like the days before USB came into being and trying to hook up a printer.

If we spent hours and hours chasing our tails back then it was a sign of the times...things just didn't work on the Tandy pc clone that Radio Shack sold...pc compatible" was a loaded phrase...too often it meant "not very PC compatible. " So I'm not picking on winCE and hpc's in particular...its just the nightmare of having the battery go dead and then somewhere out in the boonies trying to remember "is it prismnds.dll or prism.dll" to get your hpc communicating again...was unnerving. One learned to backup to the Cf card. Psions were a nightmare that way.

I suppose most of us who look under the hood of all things computerish indirectly attain or deserve some sort of Gold star or Hero status for all our misguided trips into the dark unknown. There was/is a reason some folks just take their device to a computer techie and let him or her work the magic sans suffering and gnashing of teeth.

Case in point...I just spent a few hours re-installing the flashAir wifi sdcard combo...I lucked out and got it working to begin with but discovered problems that led to revisions that knocked it out or locked up the connected win10 pc. It's great though in that whatever I save on the sdcard is available on the win10 pc instantaneously or near so.

Maybe I am just a little lazy, or spoiled, or so...I can type all this out on this luscious MP90c keyboard...but then taking out the cf card and hand transferring it to the big win10 pc just can seem like an insurmountable chore...that I never follow thru and the hpc collects dust...as a result. Kinda like driving down to get an ice cream treat during rush hour...same concept/feeling...sort of a dred factor...or "H" in the HPC:Factor.

For now, I'm hoping this flashair will be the new hero...instead of me.

Edited by joval 2019-07-08 4:20 PM
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2019-07-11 4:40 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well, how the hell are ya?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8