x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Fantastic SD + WiFi Card Hack you're gonna Love

joval Page Icon Posted 2019-07-06 11:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

There is a simple easy sd wifi card hack that is absolutamente muy fantastico !! (IMHO). The FlashAir sdcard was mentioned by Nicmalone as his solution for the J720 connectivity. It is an sdcard with WPA2 enabled wifi in addition to sd card storage. Usually these are used in cameras, with a cf adapter for example and they provide an access ( AP )point to connect to with your cell phone, etc...different from your home router AP...ie, you must connect to this distinct AP to download(usually photos)...unfortunately, in stock configuration there is no upload option. However...drummm rolllll...

Thanks to a tutorial hack by https://mattshub.com/2017/04/11/flashair-sd-card/ , the small Config file on the flashair can be easily modified to 1) allow access thru your router as a station mode client on your network. 2) allow the sdcard storage to mapped as a network drive with lightning speed upload or download ability!!! 3) it can also serve as a simultaneous AP point with internet passthrough as well to avoid having someone log onto your network but still access files, photos, etc.

For example, I am writing this on my MP900c with the FLashAir card in the cf slot. When I save this text file to the sd card storage it immediately appears on my laptop as the same file mapped to drive z: , where I can open it and copy paste into the HPC:factor forum. Best thing...these sdcards are quite cheap...less than $40 bucks for the 64GB on Amazon (they need to be reformatted from exFat to Fat32 to work on J720). You've got to give it a try!
Full Details to follow...

Edited by joval 2019-07-06 11:03 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-07-06 11:56 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Great to know that!

It seems you can use Lua (programming language) for some script on Flash Air. That has always interested me.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-07-07 1:05 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

For modern encrypted wifi hpc access this is incredibly easy to set up, without the now obsolete pcmcia WEP wifi card protruding out and sucking up a lot of power. No fussing with dll's, has DHCP and connects with ease. Very fast too...and the benefit of storage 64GB and wifi using the same slot.

Yes, I see the FlashAir Developers site mentions the LUA scripting options...cloud storage, etc, html file rquests... believe we need to mine that site for treasure and soon: Toshiba is shutting it down in a couple of months.

Here's a summary of capabilities: http://aggregate.org/CACS/flashair.html

Wow, HPC:Factor what fertile territory is found around here!

Edited by joval 2019-07-07 1:18 AM
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2019-07-07 2:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Now if only you could route all the internet traffic through the SD card, that would be amazing. Sadly that would require quite some firmware hacking on the FlashAir card and writing a custom driver for the HPC..
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-07-08 5:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Karpour, yes it certainly gets one drooling at that prospect. So close, yet so far away.

Regarding the FlashAir...mine is the 64GB and was originally formatted as extFat partition. The wince doesn't recognize exFat and there is generally a 32 GB max on Fat32. So I divided the 64GB into two drives of 32GB (well closer to 29.8GB).

Usually, as is the case with the J720, windows can only recognize the first partition on any sdcard. So the J720 can't see the 2nd storage drive. Amazingly though, the MP900c can see both drives which is nice to know...

Further, when queried about disk size...the J720 goes nuts and gives something like 360GB...way out in outer space or 8GB depending on what folder you're in. The Mp900 does give an accurate size of 32GB. winCe.net seems to have some behind the scene gymnastics making this possible.

I don't know if that means the J720 drives are more prone to corruption or not especially as the disk fills up. Stay tuned...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8