x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Argh. I despise Microsoft Office

1 2 3 4
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-07-16 10:50 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

<rant>
I have just uninstalled Microsoft Office 365 for the 4th time THIS YEAR.

I purchased Office 2016 shortly after it came out - note that I said Office 2016, not Office 365.

Microsoft decided that this would be converted into Office 365 somewhere along the line. They also decided somewhere along the line that my RETAIL key would be converted into a CLOUD key without my approval. So instead of just being able to use my license key, I have to be signed into Microsoft Account 24/7/365 so that they can track "telemetry" from my system and "reward" me with a load of bloated junk features that I never asked for or needed.

It has self-updated Excel in recent history. This morning I've come to investigate a fishy log file. What did I want Excel to do? Open Microsoft's OWN log file format from IIS; something that I have done 10000 times before. Well, apparently Excel has a new Text/CSV import module. Apparently it can't handle this. I can either have the first 6 columns from the log file, or gibberish. Unfortunately as I want column 15 or some such. I'm stuck.

Naturally, because it is using the Click to Run cloud installer rubbish, you can't uninstall updates. The Click to Run "downgrade" feature doesn't work; it asks me to confirm that I'm "connected to the Internet". The contrived level of its design (along with Click to Run itself) is obviously intended to prevent people from attempting to use it in the first place*. So I've wasted an hour and a half trying to solve that, uninstalled Office and it is now reinstalling back to default Office 2016** so that I can look at a BLOODY LOG FILE.

Now I've reinstalled the damn thing. I have to use the "account" section to disable updates. Of course Word/Excel etc won't let me INTO the account tab to do that, because it has updates waiting.

* You have to write config files and execute it in certain ways from certain locations - heaven forbid you could just double click it.
** Luckily back in 2016 I wasted lots of time with Click to Run's config file nonsense and cloned a snapshot of Office 2016 from the Click to Run cloud repository.
</rant>
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2019-07-16 4:07 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Recently I logged into my parents PC (I admin it for fun ) to find that Microsoft had installed Office 365 for me alongside the already existing Skype for Business. How kind of them. Naturally I promptly purged the lot and reinstalled SfB on its own again.

I personally use only two Microsoft products nowadays - an old Vista-era webcam and their old 'Core fonts for the Web' set.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-07-16 5:37 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

How come you wanted to keep SfB? Work?
Seems a rather odd thing to keep on the family PC!
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2019-07-16 5:53 PM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2019-07-16 5:37 PM

How come you wanted to keep SfB? Work?
Seems a rather odd thing to keep on the family PC!
My dad's work uses it, unfortunately.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-07-16 6:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

>_<

Microsoft ruined Skype, which doesn't say much as it wasn't that great to begin with.

What are you using Ubuntu, Deb?
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2019-07-16 6:52 PM
#
H/PC Elite

On my tower, OpenBSD.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2019-07-17 12:53 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Might have to break out the old H/PCs and go back to Pocket Office, C:Amie.
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2019-07-17 2:45 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I have a love/hate relationship with MS Office. I like Word and Excel, but the restrictions on the digital copies of Office available these days mean that I usually use either Office 2000 or 2007 (I have the CDs).

Both versions open the newest files (2000 requires the installation of a compatibility pack) and nothing spectacular seems to have been added to the product in the interim.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-07-17 10:30 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

OpenBSD, that's unusual to see these days!

I have licenses for Office going back to Office 4, with the exception of Office 95 and Office XP (2002). My problem is that I want a working version of Outlook (for user with modern MS Exchange Server). I was quite happy with 2016 (apart from Click to Run and telemetry that is). I never asked to be forcibly converted to Office 365 and have my licensed stand-alone product invalidated and converted into a mandatory cloud account.

Office 2000 was the best version of Office!
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2019-07-17 3:17 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2019-07-16 1:50 PM

I have just uninstalled Microsoft Office 365 for the 4th time THIS YEAR.
I wanted to use "uninstallation simulator" trope but I can't think a way of plugging it.

I do not expect myself to pay for Office anytime in future as long as I am not limited to proprietrary formats and Freeoffice exists.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-07-17 4:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

"Uninstallation Simulator 2019: now with unnecessary reinstallation, guaranteed" ?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-07-17 4:10 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I bet I have Word 97 on 10 computers. Just a phenomenal word processor; even does .docx

Yeah, the missus is doing a business gig in Bogota so we're skyping. OMG, is that awful. Dropped calls, expensive mobile charges--I imagine MS shuts Skype down soon. Run it into the ground, then leave. So funny that they still keep that excited British girl voice for the test calls.

I love her,
Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-07-17 4:37 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you think Skype is Bad, Skype for Business is worse. It is akin to the difference between OneDrive and OneDrive for Business. Same name. Different technology.

MS were supposed to have killed S4B and replaced it with Teams. I remember it was announced back in 2017. Doesn't seem to have happened in full yet; just bits of it
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2019-07-17 8:27 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The only Office I keep on my parents PC is 2010 64-bit because it's still maintained by MS, is reasonably* consistent with the Win7 UI and we own a legit copy. As for my PC...well, LibreOffice/gtk3 is ok but for reports I use LyX more often now.

*Win7 uses 2007-style ribbons for Wordpad etc. so 2007 is a better match.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2019-07-17 8:57 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2019-07-17 7:06 PM

"Uninstallation Simulator 2019: now with unnecessary reinstallation, guaranteed" ?
I do not get the joke. As usually, though.

Edited by Alt Bass 2019-07-17 8:57 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.261 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8