x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: GPD MicroPC

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-07-22 9:23 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The reign of Windows CE may be long-since over, but that doesn't mean that there aren't pretenders lurking in the shadows waiting to steal the Handheld PC's crown. The GPD MicroPC is a curiously designed, if not down right quirky full Intel x64 contender for a 2019 sub-netbook device. Boasting Windows 10 and Linux XUbuntu in a dual boot configuration, for maximum support and user flexibility. GPD are hoping to capture the interests of a number of H/PC-like markets through this more conventional product release that its previous gaming focused GPD XD or GPD WIN 2.

Join Jake Fisher in his first review here on hpcfactor.com as he unboxes the MicroPC and asks the question of "What is to be done?" for a Handheld PC user in this world of x86 pretenders.

Read the review and have your say here on the Forums.

View: The GPD MicroPC Review, or "What Is to Be Done?"

Interested in buying the GPD MicroPC? Please consider buying from our affiliate links, which helps with our running costs and to keep us ad free!

Top of the page Quote Reply
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2019-07-22 8:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

What were they thinking with that touchpad placement? You have to reach over all the keys to access it even if right-handed, so no rest for the wrist. (I'm right-handed, and just had carpal tunnel surgery on that hand back in December.) Even that silly little nub in the middle of the keyboard on old IBM devices made more sense.
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-07-22 9:18 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
It was an interesting commitment to be sure, though given the machine's tiny size, you'd get the same amount of room for wrist rest regardless of pointing device position. If you're suffering from carpal, I would think a touch screen would be the aggravation on a MicroPC's small screen; that would be the true reach. Perhaps less so, with some kind of stylus...

It's a machine that has its challenges, but if you're right-handed, I don't think the trackpad is one of them. I have a nub on the Pocket 1, whose travel time is much more than the MicroPC's pad. THAT'LL work your wrist.

Jake
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2019-07-31 6:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Looking at StartIsBack alongside that background with the calendar, all I could think was that it looked a lot like SQ. Back to the future, I guess.
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-07-31 7:55 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I have almost everything key-stroked, so the desktop is bare save for rainlendar calendar.

I prefer Classic Shell Start menu, which, despite its cessation of development, still runs nicely on Windows 10 1903. But CS's nonadjustable fonts are too small on the 6" screen.

Jake
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2019-08-05 9:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for review.

Have following comments:

- GPD is not a fledgling company....has released quite a few mini portable computing devices. I've had several (GPD WIN & Pocket) and all were of high quality.

Consumer oriented devices include:

- GPD WIN - tiny laptop with gaming controls - 2 versions have been released

- GPD Pocket - 7" display laptop - 2 versions released

- GPD Max - 8.x" display laptop - new model

- Was able to dual boot Win 10 and Linux

- The GPD MicroPC reviewed was meant for network admin's, not regular consumer market. Although device can be bought by all, the design was aimed at a specific niche market and designed accordingly.

Meanwhile, there are several other companies that have released similar small laptops in the past year or so, including:

One Netbook

These are similar to GPD Pocket, however have a special hinge allowing you to flip back display to make device like a tablet.

Very high quality, have 2 of them now and a 3S on the way.....all have 7" touchscreen display, unless noted otherwise. Main difference besides screen size is CPU, RAM, SSD size.

- One Mix Yoga

- One Mix Yoga 1S

- One Mix Yoga 2

- One Mix Yoga 2S

- One Mix Yoga 3 - 8.4" display

- One Mix Yoga 3S - - 8.4" display

In addition, CHUWI, another Chinese company has now released a device similar to the above, but with a bit lower specs and thus lower price.

And in the could fit in a shirt or pants pocket category, there's Planet Computer's Gemini PDA (can boot Android, Debian, & Sailfish OS) and there soon to be released Cosmo Communicator.

Cosmo is similar to Gemini, but designed to also be a phone with a small display on outside of case, and backlit keyboard. Can use Gemini as a phone too, but design is not quite as tailored for it.

HTH,

Mark

Edited by ArchiMark 2019-08-05 9:46 PM
DonniLiem Page Icon Posted 2020-06-03 5:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi...i recently bought the one. Nice to see that GPD keeps developing and releasing new UMPCs. I guess the major selling point of the MicroPC will be its price. I wonder how it compares with the Pocket 2, size wise it seems to be on par, although it is probably more thick.
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-06-03 7:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hi and welcome.

I own a Pocket 1, which is also a 7" UMPC, and probably similar to P2 in size. If so, you're correct that the 6" MPC is thicker, but the P2 is 1 1/4" longer, and both devices are close in same width.

Jake
CellPhoneArcheology Page Icon Posted 2020-09-19 4:36 PM
#
Avatar image of CellPhoneArcheology
H/PC Newbie

This is quite the unique device.. but I kind of like it.
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-06 12:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Not sure why everytime I see the pic of GPD MicroPC I can't help but think of the IBM PC110

Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-10-06 10:40 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, especially when both machines are closed. They each have that "fat nephew at Thanksgiving" look.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2020-10-06 10:44 PM

(micropc.png)

(PC110.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments micropc.png (557KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments PC110.jpg (8KB - 0 downloads)
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2022-10-08 1:34 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Apologies for the necropost but these seems the most appropriate thread.

I've noticed recently there are two now devices quite like the MicroPC but with touchscreens:

GPD Pocket 3: https://gpd.hk/gpdpocket3

One Netbook A1 Engineer: https://www.1netbook.com/one-netbook-a1/

Both are somewhat larger than the MicroPC (8" and 7" screens respectively) but both have a similar design with a wide selection of ports on the back, and the Pocket 3 especially has the same trackpad location. They both also seem to be targeted towards network engineers and or people in similar professions - The Pocket 3 in particular has a very interesting 'modular port' that accommodates amongst other options a 'KVM' module with HDMI output and a USB client port allowing it to function as keyboard and display for other devices.

Jake (or anyone for that matter) - I wonder if either of these caught your eye? They're both a fair bit more expensive than the MicroPC, but not wildly unreasonable given the specs.
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-10-08 9:23 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I use the MicroPC and I think that really is a cool one.
But besides some special settings and circumstances it is really useless and I mainly use it when I am in quick need of the hardware ports or for field programming some devices.

The general problem with all these new "Pocket-PCs" is that they are proud to run just a normal OS for Intel-cpus (like Linux or Windows) and "that you can use the same application software like you do on your desk" *taraaa*

But that kind of software is made for larger and larger displays and it is kind of impossible to use it on these mini-screens. You can do it, of course, but it is no fun to do.

WindowsCE instead hat gotten some software optimized for the small screen. Sometimes only with a subset of functions compared to the PC-version but ready made to use it even on the road or in a shaky train.

I think that is the real beauty of WinCE-systems and since then I didn´t see any hardware-key-based system that fulfills my expectations.

BTW: If you are looking for an Intel-based system without a real keyboard (we called that category "Slate-PC" in our times), try the HIGOLE2022:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/higole-pc-2022-the-newest-touch-m...

Have a nice weekend!
Stefan
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-10-08 5:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I understand. A six-inch screen makes certain apps difficult to use and with no CE-like alternative to these apps, you can't always fix the issues. I can get browsing, email, and word-processing in visual order, as well as terminal programs, but I agree with Stefan--I don't use it as much as other devices.

Apropos of his post, I just unearthed my HTC Advantage X7501 this week and find that despite its age, it's the most transportable of my handhelds, with insanely long battery life, TextMaker, RSS, 68k.news, and PIM successfully syncing everything over wifi/memotoo. It's the one device of mine that's safely pocketable since it can live in its case and still fit in a back pocket. Even the MPC would have a hard time doing the same.

As for the HIGOLE2022, I worry about vaporware. Very few backers, very little money raised, but a nifty approach.

@Robert--I actually have both those devices (I'm married to a loving wife). The P3 is big enough to make for most work (mine is the much-cheaper N6000 model, but still fast enough for me), and so not as mobile as the A1. I would choose the A1 over the MPC, despite its larger size, since its kb is first-rate, not to mention its touchscreen. That said, the A1 didn't appear to sell very well and it did have some battery calibration issues. Also said is that GPD has better support that One Netbook. GPD's kendy posts frequently at reddit and I've yet to find an actual contact person at One Netbook.

Jake
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-10-08 5:56 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Jake, there were some cute and useful devices around y2k. Your HTC or the Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook subnotebooks. I have one in full working order with a CF-card with Win2000 on it and all works fine besides the now usual browserproblems.
Back then I had a Siemens-slate with half-transflective display in a docking station on my desk. Those transflective displays were the best, usable under all light conditions you can imagine (and with nice pastel-like colors)
Unfortunately they are not fast and colorful enough for todays game kiddies

Such an actual micro-PC with transflective display would be a dream.

It´s sad that the touchscreen of those Siemens-slates is one of the gel-kind and has dried out over the decades.

I worry for the HIGOLE, too. They can only present some prototypes. Maybe the same sad story as with the Planetcoms "Astro".

Edited by dl1av 2022-10-08 5:56 PM
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.304 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 12