x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Why choose a retro-HPC?

joval Page Icon Posted 2019-07-28 3:12 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I wrote this a few weeks ago on one of my MP900c's ...which was recently brought out of the closet, dusty and under-appreciated(perhaps like the owner). Just why do these things still command impressive prices...this in the day of nearly dirt-cheap android tablets with all those bells and whistles???

So, I gave some thought as to why I like 'em...warts and all... Will this become Episode One of a continuing true life saga, of goodness and innocence overcoming the brutish forces of corrupting, addicting psychological manipulation?? Perhaps not quite...and then again...well, you decide. And, of course, you're most certainly invited to join in the fray, if you dare...

Le First two "raison de etre" (IMHO):

1. The focus on mental exclusivity, ie. what you are thinking of or wish to focus on mentally is always the priority, the machine is not trying to influence, commmand, distract with Eye Candy, deceive,or trick you into giving up your thoughts to become target of your mentations...minimal distraction, no coercion, no propaganda aimed to stir you up, no teasing babes offering a good time, or characters pulling you this or that way, no beeping notifications, in other words, OMG...no "Click Bait." Essentially, in many ways...the ultimate "safe space" (of sorts) for writers.

2. Instant On--the holy grail of writing, the invisible scribe...there the instant you need it, no screen swipes, no delay micro-bootup...just there...instantaneously to capture an instantaneous ,all to often preciously fleeting, idea or thought. There is nothing like it...turn it off and come back later and its right where you left it...ready for the next keystroke. It instantly reminds you of what you were working on and keeps your ideas going on and on.

We're just getting warmed up now... and hey, don't be bashful! Throw your hat in the ring and pontificate on what it is about these retro-beasties that keeps you coming back for more...

Edited by joval 2019-07-28 3:22 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-08-27 4:56 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ah, such a resounding response from the audience...

ok, how about a few hints to get things started:
3. The Form Factor...cozy and compact
4. The Keyboard...the real thing, just calling out "touch me anywhere"
5. The battery … long life and easy rebuild/replace

more details to follow...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-08-27 6:18 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

the machine is not trying to influence, commmand, distract with Eye Candy

Yeah that is true. I often bring out my Sigmarion 3 outside to a cafe while jotting out notes while listening to cyber security podcasts from cyberwire, SANS Cyber Security Podcast etc. The fact that I can't connect to modern website makes me focused.

I just can't wait a long time to boot up my Netwalker for example. The au IS01's keyboard is a little too small for my hands and that takes a while to turn on since it is an ancient Android 1.6. Using Linux Zaurus is a feels a little strange for me...

Edited by stingraze 2019-08-27 6:19 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8