x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 820 lines in upper half of the screen

Karpour Page Icon Posted 2019-07-29 12:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I recently acquired a mint condition Jornada 820, looks like it was barely ever touched. I was really excited, but sadly after just using it for an hour, the upper half of the screen started showing issues in the form of lines running down the screen. The lower half of the screen works fine.

I attached a file of the issue.

The lines repeat every 8 pixels, and only appear in the upper half of the screen. It looks like some bits are always pulled to high.
My thought would be bad contacts or a broken flex cable (please no).

Wiggling the screen around changes nothing about the lines, by the way, neither does pressing at the edges of the screen.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how fixable this might be? Would it be worth a try to re-solder all the screen connections?

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Capture.JPG (89KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-07-29 12:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Like you say, best case it's a crack in a flexi-PCB. Middle case it's going to need to re-flow the connectors and the controller. Worst case it is the screen controller.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2019-07-29 2:59 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

It's a shame to open the unit up because it's so pristine, but it's fairly unusable like this.

I might enlist a friend to help me with reflowing the connections. Luckily - for the worst case scenario - I still have a spare J820 with a broken hinge but a perfectly fine LCD panel which I could use. It's a German unit, so not much lost with that unit
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9