x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Best programming language choice for beginners

joval Page Icon Posted 2019-08-02 3:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Recently a visitor to this site was inquiring about which programming language would be best to learn as a beginner. I can't locate that thread right now so I will put my 2 cents worth here. There are numerous youtube videos on programming and on must-know languages...I am not addressing that.

Although my knowledge is limited...here's my recommendation:

1.HTML, CSS, and most importantly Javascript. Javascript is the scripting language that allows interactivity on web pages. HTML and CSS are the structural language of web page design. Javascript is the scripting language powering essentially 95% of all web pages

According to one source I recently viewed, the average Javascript programer earns $95,000 per year. That's average! Given its ubiquity and utility, IMO, even though my knowledge of programming is rather limited...I would recommend learning javascript programning as a priority over other lanquages especially if one is interested in web design.

2. Because I am finally putting my MP900c's to work after many years of gathering dust...I am finding they are rather ideal for learning javascript...something new for me. And although the MP900c is HTML 4 based instead of the latest 5.0 version for most part it remains powerful since most of the changes between the two involve media streaming functionality. Similarly, Javascript's newest version contains some new bells and whistles (other options than "var" for example)...but the basics remain the same. Thus, the HPC's such as the MP900 provide a nice compact avenue for learning these light weight languages.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2019-08-05 9:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

My recommendation would be Python. Easy to learn, lots of info available, and can be used for many types of programs.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-08-06 9:09 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I second ArchiMark.

Lots of useful modules to make life easy.
Also, personally I think Ethereum's language, Solidity might be something good to learn for the future.

Edited by stingraze 2019-08-06 9:16 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-08-06 9:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

While I agree that Python is a good starter language, I think you are both missing Joval's intended point. He is discussing learning programming for practical use on CE. Not as an academic exercise.

I know there is a HPC2000 ARM build of python 2.3 (now in the SCL), but it's hardly stable.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-08-06 9:56 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Ah yes. On the CE...

I tried to run Python 2.4 on my Sigmarion 3, but after long hours of trying, I think it didn't work all that well.
It's here at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonce/files/pythonce/Python-2.4....

Edited by stingraze 2019-08-06 9:56 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-08-06 10:08 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That is the one I just put in the SCL https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/1073/PythonCE/Python/version_2.3.4
It's unstable especially in GUI controls integration
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-08-06 9:13 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I see the version as 2.4.3, not 2.3.4?
update => oh. I see. the HPC is up till 2.3.4.

I think I was trying to use redgear to run the wm2003 version, if I remember correctly.

Edited by stingraze 2019-08-06 9:14 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-08-06 9:44 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, who wants PPC apps in the App Store
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2019-08-07 3:12 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

We do, if they work on the H/PC.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-08-27 5:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Yes, C:Amie summed things up well...using win ce devices to learn coding that has application across all platforms. I agree python is a richly featured language and I have watched a number of tutorials on it (and other languages that are) strongly recommended)...and no compiling is necessary, etc.

The jornada 720 can be used to practice writing HTML 4 coding...and CSS. H-bomb really simplifies moving from text file to htm file. Scripting though is very limited...some vbscript which is obsolete, and a few jscript or javascript methods...date and time for example. Sweet thing is, you can carry these cozy little 720 critters around anywhere and write out something in pocketword and view in in browser asap...borders, fonts, background, images, etc. It's useful because html 4 is everywhere. Yes, html 5 has some newer features...but it is just an extension of html 4.0

The MP900c is more capable...in addition to Html 4 it does render JavaScript language...so there is the interactivity and dynamic changing of web page elements that is useful to explore...change CSS style, fonts, images,etc when clicking on button or on loading, etc. Whatever you create can be saved and rendered on any tablet, laptop, desktop, etc. later if you like. Point is, you use your hpc to learn or practice simple coding.

The fortunate thing about both the j720 and mp900c is that Html 4 version reigned supreme for over a decade...and continues to live on in many websites. Similarly, for the mp900, JavaScript was largely unchanged for over a decade, the new version is only a few years old...the basics remain largely the same...

When I get the time, I'll look at the python port you've recently listed...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-08-27 5:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Apart from the fact that IE uses a MS standard version of JavaScript, something that was only knocked out of it in IE9 and as close to eliminated as it is going to get in IE11. This makes some things, especially in relation to AJAX, events and XML non-transferable to other browsers without browser detection re-writes.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 8