x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I just ordered a HP jornada 720

Ethan720 Page Icon Posted 2019-09-19 6:24 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

It should be here in a couple days and ill post pictures. Can anyone reccommend some good software to install on it? Also, how hard is it to rebuild the battery on one of these? I know on the 820 its almost impossible.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2019-09-19 8:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Handheld PC 2000

Have a look at the Software Compatibility List if you haven't already:

https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/

There are several threads here discussing rebuilding the 720 battery. A search using the keywords "Jornada 720 battery rebuild" will turn these up.
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2019-10-14 2:24 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

You can still buy the batteries new from 3rd parties for around £20. Maybe try out the 720 on mains for a while to see if you think it’s worth it.

Software recommendations depend very much on what you are planning to use it for. I used HPC Notes as a kind of journal a lot when I had a research job back in the early 00’s. I used the built-in Outlook for planning my days. SoftMaker’s TextMaker and PlanMaker were a great word processor and spreadsheet solution. If J720s could cope with modern wireless file transfers, I’d probably still be using mine instead of my Gemini (which only costs a little more than good condition J720s do on eBay ) Other useful apps for me were (still on my J720 when I turn it back on):

Cash Organiser 2000 - for tracking spending. Has a great autocomplete feature that learns from previous entries

MobiPocket (‘Mobibook’) for HPC - reads mobi ebook files

Adobe Acrobat pdf reader - there is a version tweaked to run on HPCs

nPOPuk - the only email client that seems to support modern email protocols (at least it did a couple of years ago)

GSPlayer2 - great little MP3 player

HPC Media Player (based on the TCPMP player) - great little movie player (convert DVDs to just about watchable 22 frames/sec J720 compatible movies using Catalyst if it’s available here on HPC factor)

SimCity 2000

GAPI - app that helps our old machines push their video and game playing limits a bit.

Have fun!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 58 - Executed queries : 11