x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Need Advice on a 17" Laptop

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-11-09 4:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I note that both of these are 15.6" devices rather than the desired 17". Is that an issue?

Unless he does photographic or video editing, a 1TB SSD is in most use cases, completely over kill. If he somehow fills a 512GB in the next 3-5 years, in 3-5 years a replacement 1TB SSD for it will be comparatively peanuts and a better investment at that time.

Here they both are with direct sponsored links
https://amzn.to/2p1ntaA
https://amzn.to/36NEqpX

The Dell is an 8000 series, so the hardware is 12-18 months newer, the keyboard layout is nominally better (cursor keys) and I expect the battery to be better.

The Lenovo has far better graphics ability (180% better), is lighter, has a fingerprint reader and has Thunderbolt.

My view: Of the two, although I generally prefer Dell and don't trust Lenovo as far as I can throw one of their laptops... the Lenovo is the better option. Being visually impaired, being able to logon using a finger and down the road use it for authenticating into online banking and others will be useful. Thunderbolt is useful if you want to set him up with a single cable dock solution.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-11-09 5:17 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Thank, Chris, for another fast, informative response.

As for the 17", I pushed for it as hard as I could, but he feels money is tight in his retired life. As you've said, in a future crisis of sight, he might have to resort to monitor/external keyboard, while using the laptop as a cpu, and we'll deal with that if it comes. I just can't get him to budge on the extra money for 17".

Yeah, he could get by on a 50GB ssd, so disk size is one less concern.

Other needless worries: battery life (that machine will be plugged in 100%), fingerprint or any other security measure (he rarely leaves his apartment and would never travel with laptop)

In light of this, would you reassess your Lenovo choice?

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad and that's been fine, but I've had a lot of Dells and save for one, they've done well. I'm intrigued by Dell's newer hardware. The Dell also comes with a pen; I don't know how that plays into the scenario. I've posted in Amazon Questions about the quality of the Dell keyboard, but haven't heard back yet--a proper keyboard would be important (he's a touch typist) and I was gladdened to see that the Dell keyboard is back-lit.

Edit: Amazon Question responses: https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/TxST45HC1E09VB/ref=ask_sa_saa_a...
Vaguely encouraging.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2019-11-09 5:26 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-11-09 9:34 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The Lenovo CPU is faster in a drag race, but on computational and GPU tests, the Dell is more efficient thermally 15w vs 45w and has marginally higher burst clock (rather than base clock). That makes the Dell better for battery and will run cooler and thus quieter. The Lenovo CPU can take more RAM than the Dell can.

Pen input, meh.

The fingerprint reader isn't about the convenience of logging in, it's about better security for using services with biometric security. Password managers, banking and more are all starting to move to biometrics. Buying a phone in 2019 without a reader would be a foolish idea, computers will be that way in a year or so I suspect. Regardless it should be encrypted if you can.

They are both 2017 machines, Lenovo from the beginning of the year, Dell from Q2.

On raw spec, I'd still give it to the Lenovo... but his use case has nothing to do with spec; email and word processing being hardly considered computationally taxing these days.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-11-10 12:54 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Chris, thanks for finding the info that puts the two machines through their paces. Had NOT realized that the Dell was also two years old (its Amazon listing says 2019) and now I'm pausing about either machine, given their new ages (it's as if they're on match.com).

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/inspiron-15-7590-2-in-1-...

That MIGHT be this year's model but the generally suspect advertising found in my searches has left me a little gun shy.

I met this guy when we were the Americans teaching at the University of Brazil and now he struggles alone with health and sight issues and I just want a computer to be the least of his worries.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-11-10 2:31 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That Dell is going to be a Autumn 2018/early Winter 2018 initial release. It has a fingerprint reader in the power button.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-11-10 2:40 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

If I do get this, is there a way to run hpcfactor through the Dell link?

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-11-10 5:47 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No, I'm afraid not. We have affiliate links for Amazon and eBay, that's it.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-11-11 6:13 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Donation sent. Chris, couldn't have done this without you.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-11-12 7:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thanks Jake. Wasn't necessary, but appreciated. Let us know how you both get on!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 8