x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

One Pocket PC 2000 device that supported landscape mode

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2019-10-18 12:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I recently picked up an HP Jornada 548 Pocket PC since it was cheap and I wanted to check out the Pocket PC experience on an SH3 device. I soon found out that the 548 has a cool Easter egg: if you tap and hold on the time display on the upper right corner of the screen while simultaneously pressing and holding down the Action button on the left side of the unit, a little menu comes up with the choices "Run" and "Clock." "Run" opens up the Run dialog (dunno why they didn't just put it on the Start Menu), but that's not the cool part. If you type rotate r into the Run dialog, another dialog box opens asking for confirmation that you want to switch to landscape display. In landscape it only uses 8-bit color (256 colors) as opposed to the 12-bit (4096 colors) that it uses in portrait mode. Kinda cool, though, that there actually was a Pocket PC (and an SH3 one at that) that supported landscape mode three years before Windows Mobile 2003 SE came out.

(Jornada 548 Today landscape.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Jornada 548 Today landscape.bmp (76KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-10-18 2:32 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

haha, pretty cool. I didn't know about that one.

I can't believe that we used to use screens with that low resolution!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2019-11-22 4:50 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I feel so spoiled with the auto-rotate, I remember my iPAQ rx1950 (or something similar) pressing that button. As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate the pre-XP look of PPC 2K and HPC 2K.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2019-11-26 10:03 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I remember having to use JS landscape for that. I always wondered why this wasn't an out-of-the box Windows CE feature, considering Windows CE was flexible enough to adapt. I guess it was because most apps were too specifically tailored to portrait mode.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-11-27 9:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think that you're right. I seem to recall that Visual Studio forms only worked with constrained values, not relative ones right up until .net arrived. It would have needed some proprietary scaling middleware to manage it. Too much for most devs who were already having to do it all in C++ anyway.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2019-11-28 9:55 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2019-10-18 5:32 PM

I can't believe that we used to use screens with that low resolution!
If there was QVGA device with modern software which outputs info in efficient way and it had modern enough hatfware and actial physical BUTTONS and CONTROLS I would use it easily, nothing changed for me.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-11-29 9:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Perhaps, but they'd fit 1280x960 into the same physical area now I imagine. It would be all purdy' and shiny.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2019-11-30 12:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That'd be nice. The 548 can't even fit an entire reminder dialog in 320x240 - I have to rotate it back to portrait (240x320), which of course requires a soft reset, just to be able to see and tap on the 'Dismiss' button.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-11-30 2:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

so Microsoft still had some issues to iron out. What's new?
 Top of the page
daemonspudguy Page Icon Posted 2019-12-04 6:13 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

CE Geek - 2019-11-29 7:19 PM

That'd be nice. The 548 can't even fit an entire reminder dialog in 320x240 - I have to rotate it back to portrait (240x320), which of course requires a soft reset, just to be able to see and tap on the 'Dismiss' button.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in a multi-million dollar software project.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.195 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 11