x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

AIReader reads HTML files

joval Page Icon Posted 2019-11-10 3:34 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I found that years ago, 2007, I could download/save any Wikipedia article/webpage on my J720 and the stock PIE browser would display it without much trouble.

However, when I attempt this now with newer browsers (saving obviously more complicated html files) those saved files from wikipedia topics pretty much choke the PIE(even with images disabled)

To my amazement however, I found the AIReader has saved the day, as it easily renders html pages including many of the images. The only issue is that quotation marks are rendered as a weird group of symbols...something I can live with.

Now I'm back in the drivers seat with a good view of the road...as I so enjoy having wikipedia and other webpages to catch up on when I'm out and about with my J720.

Thank you HPCFactor...for keeping the flame alive!

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-11-10 4:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Hey, that's great news. I'm guessing that it's a smart-quotes-vs-straight-quotes issue, something I found with rss reading in my Sharp Zaurus. The extremely-kind developer of NewsFeed actually rewrote his program for the Zaurus to exchange smart quotes for straight quotes.

https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?s=119ea54d17761e068cca7fc4f2b75...

Jake
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2019-12-14 2:01 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

It's good that you found an app that works well for you. I routinely save pages in Chrome as a web archive and use a linux one-liner to resize any jpgs in the accompanying folder. Delete the rest of the 'fluff' and the resulting html/folder combo displays well in PIE on my J820. Probably took more time for me to type this up than it did to do the following examples.

(IMG_20191214_073616.jpg)

(IMG_20191214_073321.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20191214_073616.jpg (93KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_20191214_073321.jpg (95KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-03-25 10:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mjolnir...looks good to me, web archive...what is the linux part? I may give it a try.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-03-25 10:22 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Did I mention how well the AIReader download on this site works so well for viewing html files. For instance, one big disappointment after pulling my jornada and mp900c out of the storage closet after 10 years of mothballing them, I was surprised to find that with the enhanced security features on most web sites and scripting essentially made the old PIE and IE 6.o hpc browsers choked up on loading just about everything. Wikipedia articles wouldn't open or if they did it took forever!!!

But, lo and behold, somehow stumbling in the darkness I found a single ray of hope...the shining light of HPCFactor download section. Alas, while searching for an ebook viewer I discovered AIReader and a bit later found it readily opens HTML files quickly and effficiently. There are a few quirks...some of the symbols get distorted into strange stuff. And of course it won't run scripts...but photos render quite well and it has a number of great features allowing you to change text size, 2 column reading, set black background instead of white, bold the print, rotate the screen. Hitting the keyboard key 4 enlarges the font, 5 reduces the font size, 6 makes font bold, 2 rotates the screen, the hyphen key changes the background color from light to dark (reverses text dark to light). Key 1 toggles battery life and file page...and time...which is kinda cool. Anyway, I find it a rather delightful way to cozy up with my hpc's and read loads of wikipedia articles, python and flashair tutorials, etc. Not to mention all the ebooks I have, modified somewhat to docx or other formats...from online ebook sources. I reads them all after using calibre programs on them (which I hope is ok to admit...for my personal use only). AIReader resuscitates my Jornadas and Mobilepro's...really brings back some life to these oldies but goodies. Check it out...you will be pleasantly surprised what a great fix it can be...
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-03-26 1:13 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Mjolnir - 2019-12-14 9:01 AM
I routinely save pages in Chrome as a web archive and use a linux one-liner to resize any jpgs in the accompanying folder. Delete the rest of the 'fluff' and the resulting html/folder combo displays well in PIE on my J820. Probably took more time for me to type this up than it did to do the following examples.

Your manual approach reminded me of this amazing project: https://github.com/tenox7/wrp
I haven’t tested it on my HPCs yet, but I bet it would work just fine on PIE. Just grab a little Raspberry Pi and use it as your modern web proxy. Then have fun writing emails again in PIE while the heavy lifting is done by your Pi so you have time to eat your pie (pun intended)
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2020-03-26 1:39 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

joval - 2020-03-25 10:20 PM

Mjolnir...looks good to me, web archive...what is the linux part? I may give it a try.
Works well for archiving material for off web use on some of our old devices. Several different ways to do it I suspect but what I do is d/l a web page I'm interested in saving as a web archive.
With Chrome there will be an html file and a folder full of jpegs, gifs, occasional pngs and various .js scripts. Generally I open up a terminal in the folder and use 'convert' from the ImageMagick package to run something like this:
 for f in *.jpg; do convert  "$f" -resize 620x460  -define jpeg:extent=100kb "${f%.*}.jpg"; done

varying the parameters of course to suite your needs.

Edited by Mjolnir 2020-03-26 1:47 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-03-27 3:09 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mjolnir...With AIReader all you do is save as (right click) in chrome browser and save as complete web page...no need to convert images. Very fast and more versatile than PIE, IMO. You really should give it a try...it will save you a step at the least.

But thanks to your work I now see the problem with PIE choking on html pages...the svg image files and some javascript files cannot be parsed by PIE (on Jornada 720) and the (is it?) IE6 on mp900, so complete web pages really bog down. However, if you delete these files in the webpage folder, PIE does a much better, faster job (as it does on plain text saved webpages). Obviously svg files and some javascript functions did not exist when PIE was created...so it stumples on them, IMO. AIReader renders them beautifully in a zippy fashion.

Combine this with a FlashAir wifi sdcard and you can use your laptop to save dozens of webpages to the flashair located on your HPC in a few minutes, then you can go to your Jornada or Mobilepro and open/view them easily. It does take larger files a bit of time to transfer to the flashair (ie., audio books)...just give it time to upload.

Edited by joval 2020-03-27 3:48 PM

(PANGEA.bmp)

(PANGEA2.bmp)

(PANGEA3.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PANGEA.bmp (300KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments PANGEA2.bmp (300KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments PANGEA3.bmp (300KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2020-03-27 9:34 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I'm not sure I'm understanding you. After you d/l a web page are the embedded jpegs etc. auto resized to display on your Win CE device? The web page here: https://aireader.co/#myPage
shows a web page being stripped of it's pictures, and here: https://aireader.co/#solutions
They say "With the click of a button your website is transformed into a text document..." Without pictures many of the web sites I save would be of little value to me. Either way, as I said earlier, glad you found something that works for you.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-03-27 11:34 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Yes, it auto resizes, (I think the svg files don't display but nearly all others do). It can be customized as one or two columns, etc. But I am referring to the AIReader2 found here on HPCFactor in the download section(NOT the website you listed!)

You can find it here: https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/946/AlReader_Software/AlReader2/versio...

By the way, pressing the number 3 key toggles white or black background...as shown in images above. Also under preferences set image to 2x for larger image.

Hmmm, sorry about the confusion...my mistake, I see it's named AIReader2...hope this helps. It was one of Rich Hawley's great uploads 2014. Thanks Rich!

Edited by joval 2020-03-27 11:50 PM
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2020-03-28 10:47 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

joval - 2020-03-27 11:34 PM

Hmmm, sorry about the confusion...my mistake, I see it's named AIReader2...hope this helps. It was one of Rich Hawley's great uploads 2014. Thanks Rich!
The confusion was mine - I see now, two different websites - one with an i and one with an l. I get a chance I'll d/l Rich's 'find' and give it a whirl.
I rarely use my old HPs to read, my use case is primarily archival. I have to confess, my old eyes are so used to my PaperWhite I'd hate to contemplate using any other device for any length of time.

@ntware Nice project

Edited by Mjolnir 2020-03-28 11:46 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.183 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10