x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

IBM PC110 screen conservation -?

Anton7610 Page Icon Posted 2019-11-18 8:10 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hello to everybody! This Saturday I received a true masterpiece for my collection of handhelds - IBM PalmTop PC110 in almost mint condition, including the screen.

The problem of PC 110 is that their Citizen STN screens are of very poor quality, which leads to screen degradation after some years (random pics from Google):

As I understand, this happens because of one of the layers inside the screen comes off and starts to shrivel.
This time 99% of all PC110 for sale have these screen problems, in a varying degree. Other example: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u313917324

My screen is in great condition, although when displaying black color, there are some very little signs of non-ideal black, but this is usual for all STN matrix.
I wonder how to save it for posterities?
How to store the device so that the screen does not dry out?
Maybe it should be stored upside down?

In one of the forums I read the opinion that this screen degradation happens in Japan only because of their humid salty air and climate. In other countries there`s no risk. But I don`t know.

Maybe someone here has some experience with these funny little notebooks and has something to say?

Thanks!

Edited by Anton7610 2019-11-18 8:11 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-11-18 10:59 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sounds like you need to vacuum seal it and then store it in a flight case?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-11-18 12:34 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

As I recall, when I visited Russia a few years ago, the climate is quite dry and cold. (obvious, but it was. )
Japan is indeed true that the humidity gets very high. Especially during the summer times.

After living in Japan for all my life I can tell you that screens, even though it is not STN, degrade.
Especially it gets yellowish on old LCDs. But that's normal.

I'm not really sure if it is the humidity that does this in Japan. Maybe it's the material's degradation over time?
There are lots of pristine condition old laptops up for sale in Japan, and I get amazed by that..

Anyways, congratulations on getting a PC110. I think it was called "Ultraman PC". For those who don't know Ultraman, it's explained here in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_Series

Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2019-11-19 8:38 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

If humidity is the issue, I suggest getting airtight storage boxes, lining the bottom with silica gel packs, and storing the laptop in there!
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2019-11-19 9:26 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Silica gel is a buffering material, it won't help to just put it there, you need to dry it before packaging for it to make sense.
 Top of the page
Anton7610 Page Icon Posted 2019-11-26 11:07 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Sounds like you need to vacuum seal it and then store it in a flight case?

Appreciate your sense of humor

Thanks to everybody for responses. In one of the American enthusiast forums I read that not humidity, but direct sunlight and heat is the issue.

Actually the device is stored in a cupboard in special case. Let`s see, what will happen next.

Edited by Anton7610 2019-11-26 11:09 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.132 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 8