x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

problem with microdrive

tõnna Page Icon Posted 2019-12-29 6:03 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I purchased from eBay Hitachi 4 GB microdrive (this one https://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/detail.asp?hcdid=644&pn=1&categoryId=1...). According to HCL reports, it should work on my Jornada 720, 728 and NEC MobilePro 900C cmonex 2.0 but they just are unable to recognize it, giving me unidentified PCCard adapter note. Where the catch?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-12-30 1:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Are you able to test it in a PCMCIA adapter under regular Windows? Just to be sure that the disk is working properly and is formatted to FAT32.
Test on AC power too, rather than battery.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2019-12-30 6:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Was the microdrive brand new or a used one, like from an iPod mini? New ones often come with raw unformatted data and have to be formatted first. Of course this is easier with a CF adapter and a desktop computer.

If someone used it before and had formatted it with NTFS, then you get the error you reported too.

If you have a digital camera that uses CF memory cards, that's a good way to both test it and format it since most all use the FAT file format.
 Top of the page
ict Page Icon Posted 2019-12-30 9:28 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I purchased the same drive (probably from the same seller) for my z50 and experienced similar problems with both it and my new MobilePro 790 despite the drive reading and formatting just fine on my desktop. Searching around here and a few other places seemed to imply that certain OEM variants didn't include the necessary on-board controller logic for use in HPCs, and you want to keep an eye out for the more attractively labeled retail versions instead. I'm planning to pick up a retail drive down the road to test that out for sure, I'll try and remember to come back to this thread when I can do that.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-12-31 1:04 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Like Rich mentions, if it was taken from an iPod mini or a Creative NOMAD MuVo2 with Microdrive, it won't work or at least I was told it won't, here in hpcfactor.

Edited by stingraze 2019-12-31 1:04 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2019-12-31 2:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Silly question: is there any chance the MicroDrive is locked in IDE mode?

https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/search/query.asp?fid=0&action=searc...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2019-12-31 10:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Except for the "gee whiz, this is cool" factor, why would you want to use a microdrive over a solid state memory card anyways?

Unless you like to use extra battery power and generate heat… (sarcasm intended)
 Top of the page
Adanroj Page Icon Posted 2020-01-01 1:07 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Somewhere around here I've got a 2 GB pcmcia hard disk (purchased LONG ago that made sense at the time) that I might use in my Jornada 720 just because I already have the drive. I certainly wouldn't go out and buy a mechanical drive over a solid state drive.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-01-05 11:00 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I happened to get a HITACHI Microdrive 4GB that came with a PDA today.

It works on my Sigamarion 3, with the Microdrive's MODEL no. being HMS360604D5CF00

It seems to draw a lot of power, haha.
 Top of the page
tõnna Page Icon Posted 2020-01-11 6:10 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well, my intent was use it for linux, and there is problem with most solid state cards, that these cant work as bootable disk from second partition where linux root files are.
Sandisk CF 1 GB card which I purchased from eBay (geez how expensive these low capacity cards are nowadays...) work flawlessly, I got JLime to run.

My final goal is, learning it on my handhelds, get linux to work on Trimble Nomad PPC, but this is not this site thematic
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 11