x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux Kernel 4.9 and a (not so) happy Jornada 720

« Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-11 7:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Just tried connecting to guest network at work now.

This time connman recognized the guest network and showed info.

Tried to connect to it, but got error message:

connmanctl > connect wifi_00107a7560f5_4b61697365724775657375_managed_none 

Error /net/connman/service/wifi_00107a7560f5_4b61697365724775657375_managed_none
: Method "connect" with signature "" on interface "net.connman.Service" doesn't exist

So close, yet so far.......

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-12 12:05 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-08-11 11:20 AM

Just tried connecting to guest network at work now.

This time connman recognized the guest network and showed info.

Tried to connect to it, but got error message:

connmanctl > connect wifi_00107a7560f5_4b61697365724775657375_managed_none 

Error /net/connman/service/wifi_00107a7560f5_4b61697365724775657375_managed_none
: Method "connect" with signature "" on interface "net.connman.Service" doesn't exist

So close, yet so far.......

Mark

Marconi...

SOS? Yes, connman is a bit of a challenge... seems like the "ol' voodoo factor" as why things connect or not. First off, that libertas driver either is the wrong one for the WL54, or not configured properly for it (default is WPA config which works great for WPA on prism based cards like MA401)... is why it has so slow data rate. More on this later as I learn how to set config.

One thing I found, er 2 things.

1. try "enable wifi" ==> enabled wifi, followed by "disable wifi"==> diabled wifi, then "enable wifi " again to re-set connman. Then "scan wifi", then "services" which if wl54 is plugged in, will show all WPA2 and WPA and none AP's. Type "agent on"==>agent registered... THEN try the "connect + space" then Tab (will show numbers that are the MAC address) add a few digits ( of the SSID hex number) from the services list, then hit tab again.

The warning you have above is often seen if you forget the "agent on" or if you pull the card out and re insert it(which often works to get connected) and it's not initialized per above. AFAIK.

2. Before you shut down, if connected to one of the AP's, in /at connman> prompt type "disconnect wifiMACSSIDhexetc(that long Id name)" This helps if you swap out cards, so connman doesn't assume it's still connected and won't connect to a different site/AP. Hope this doesn't sound too confusing.

Listen, thanks again for sharing the IceWM discovery... It is absolutely incredibly wonderful, so efficient, and "easy on the eyes". Again, a Quantum leap improvement... I feel I've gone from a Neandertal cave dweller to Modern Condo living!! Brilliant bold move on your part!! (Take a bow)

best regards,

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-08-12 12:09 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-12 12:23 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Joval,

Thank you for the detailed suggestions and info.

Will try what you suggest.

I've used connman on other device and it worked OK. However, I installed 'CMST' a GUI program for connman. Made it much nicer/easier to use.
Was going to try and install it when get connected......guess with my ethernet card at home....

You're welcome about IceWM.....yes, definitely feels more modern than fluxbox.....but a lot of hardcore linux types like it due to its simple nature.

best regards,

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-12 4:58 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-08-11 4:23 PM

Joval,

I've used connman on other device and it worked OK. However, I installed 'CMST' a GUI program for connman. Made it much nicer/easier to use.
Was going to try and install it when get connected......guess with my ethernet card at home....

You're welcome about IceWM.....yes, definitely feels more modern than fluxbox.....but a lot of hardcore linux types like it due to its simple nature.

best regards,

Mark

Mark,
FYI, That's not the kind of "hardcore" most of us prefer! At times, seems Linux sort of has a command line fixation, just saying. Will look into CMST.

I would have a IceWM image uploaded by now... except we just had to evacuate the neighborhood for a few hours due to a fire about 1 mile away (some guy burning SD Cards the wrong way?). I drove the motorhome (75 gallons of gasoline, ya see) away over to my office but left my computer behind in the rush... forgot the marshmallows too. Was precautionary... no real threat, IMO. They cut off the power, and folks downhill and fire crews drained away all the water...the taps were dry so my roof sprinkler was DOA. Remember when we used to wish we could live in "Paradise?"

I have added Mutt email, scrot screen capture, and samba-client for access to network shares too. Will test things out.

Gracias, y recuerdas... honesty is the best policy... but not my only policy!!

Pues, es bastante, amigo,

Joval

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-12 4:58 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-08-11 4:23 PM

Joval,

best regards,

Mark

Mark,
FYI, That's not the kind of "hardcore" most of us prefer! At times, seems Linux sort of has a command line fixation, just saying. Will look into CMST.

I would have a IceWM image uploaded by now... except we just had to evacuate the neighborhood for a few hours due to a fire about 1 mile away (some guy burning SD Cards the wrong way?). I drove the motorhome (75 gallons of gasoline, ya see) away over to my office but left my computer behind in the rush... forgot the marshmallows too. Was precautionary... no real threat, IMO. They cut off the power, and folks downhill and fire crews drained away all the water...the taps were dry so my roof sprinkler was DOA. Remember when we used to wish we could live in "Paradise?"

I have added Mutt email, scrot screen capture, and samba-client for access to network shares too. Will test things out.

Gracias, y recuerdas... honesty is the best policy... but not my only policy!!

Pues, es bastante, amigo,

Joval

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-12 9:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Holy moly, Joval!

Hope you and family (and 720 of course...) are doing OK up there!

Sending positive thoughts your way....

If you need me to sacrifice a few more goats to the Jornada gods, let me know.....

In meantime, all the best,

Mark
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-08-13 9:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Joval,

I hope that you, yours and your possessions are all okay! Keep us posted.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-13 9:36 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-08-12 1:33 PM

Holy moly, Joval!

Hope you and family (and 720 of course...) are doing OK up there!

Sending positive thoughts your way....

If you need me to sacrifice a few more goats to the Jornada gods, let me know.....

In meantime, all the best,

Mark

Fortunately the Firefighters were on the case pronto with helicopters and trucks and kept it contained and put it out in short time. We were evacuated because there is only one road out of our area (maybe 100 to 150 homes in several neighborhoods). No smoke near us and only a few minutes of imaginary fear running round finding no power or water, then having to move other vehicles in order to turn the motorhome around so as to drive it down the drive way. Patty climbed in her Prius and left me in the dust, which I preferred (I gave her my OK ). I feel some remorse for leaving all the HPC's behind!

Once I got down the Hill and could see out in the distance smoke over a mile away, and crews were controlling traffic which was bumper to bumper on the exit road. I drove and parked at my office in town, did some needed office computer updating for 2-3 hours, then we were notified we could return, Patty picked me up and returned... everything ok (although I think the HPC's are still mad at me... "how could you....! Fickle Humans only looking out for their own hide! Left me in my hour of need, etc)
"

Anyway, more cautionary than threatening. Now, take a look at what I was working on at the moment the sheriffs car came through the neighborhood lights and sirens blasting and got me running around like a cockroach caught in the light (well, a bit of hyperbole there maybe).

safe and sound,

Joval

(TH10.jpg)

(TH.jpg)

(TH4.jpg)

(TH5.jpg)

(TH7.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments TH10.jpg (31KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments TH.jpg (33KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments TH4.jpg (25KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments TH5.jpg (17KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments TH7.jpg (41KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-14 4:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2021-08-13 1:06 AM

Joval,

I hope that you, yours and your possessions are all okay! Keep us posted.

Thank you for your concern! We are certainly grateful the Firefighters responded so quickly. I may have sounded rather flippant about it right afterwords, more like the macho red neck type bragging, but it was a bit of a scare. Heck, I left all my HPC's behind!

The foreman of our landscaping crew is a part time fire fighter and he said he received the call too. I always let him know how grateful we are that they are (now ) doing "control burns" to lessen the risk (something long over due).

However, we are only early into our "fire season" the worst blaze ever hit in October! So we have a long ways to go. One thing though, I'll be parking the motorhome so as to provide a "straight down the driveway" quick get-away. Also going to buy a small gasoline powered water pump and use the swimming pool water for the roof top sprinkler, etc.

No more leaving the HPC's behind either,brave little souls. Taking the electric bicycle too.... truth is I could escape on that alone (which is why I sent my wife off in her Prius early on).

Thanks again for your concern,

joval

posted via J720/Devuan-IceWM/connmanWPA/RasPi/ Firefox "Symbiosis"
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9