x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux Kernel 4.9 and a (not so) happy Jornada 720

« Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next »
X_Files.CZ Page Icon Posted 2021-02-18 3:53 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

@_dev-null

That's amazing! It works, just works on the first attempt!

Devuan ASCII is a little bit slow, but it is a wonder, they still support armel achitecture. Thanks to your debootstrap instructions, I'm experimenting with Debian 5.0 Lenny (first with armel support).

So thanks for your work!
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-05-06 8:39 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hello!
Happy to hear that it worked for you.

I had to remove all the Nextcloud shares due to an update. The new shares have different links, you can find all links and required information to get Linux running on the Jornada 7xx here: http://www.sp-net.at/wiki/doku.php?id=jornada_j720

Stefan
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2021-05-06 10:30 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks Stefan, very nice site.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-07 8:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Stefan,

Do you have any scripts that will automate login and run startx , open the terminal, etc. Would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-15 7:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ntware (or anyone else...),

Trying to get the Aironet 350 card working....but having some issues...

I updated firmware to newer version 5.60.17.

Installed the WinCE Aironet Utility v.2.40.03 on J720.

I edited the Profile0 to include name of SSID.

Underneath the Select Active Profile heading (on right side of Aironet Utility window) it says '350 Series Radio is not associated'.

On card the status light is blinking green.

The activity light is blinking orange.

Is there something else I need to do to get card working in WinCE?

Thank you!

Mark

ntware - 2020-10-01 4:56 PM

Well, I guess that my guide also is not 100%. After a bit of testing I realized that it was missing one step. Even though the SSID information is stored in the card somewhere, I believe that when Linux reinitializes the card, it stays in limbo mode until you tell it to connect to the SSID again. So here are the full steps:

1. Configure the card on Windows CE as usual. Use the Aironet app to setup SSID information and make sure the connection works (open something on Pocket IE).

2. Boot into Linux and login as root.

3. To power up the card:
ip link set dev wifi0 up  
ip link set dev eth0 up

(apparently this card needs to be enumerated with both wifi0 and eth0). Once you run those commands, the LEDs on the card will start flashing and it will automatically connect to the SSID configured previously on Windows CE.

4. Connect to your SSID. I issued this command for both interfaces wifi0 and eth0. Not sure if it only needs to go to one of them:
iwconfig wifi0 essid "Your_SSID_without_quotes" mode Managed 
iwconfig eth0 essid "Your_SSID_without_quotes" mode Managed

5. Obtain an IP address from DHCP:
dhclient -v eth0

6. Or alternatively, if you want to set the card with static IP:
ifconfig eth0 "Your_fixed_IP_without_quotes" netmask 255.255.255.0 up 
route add default gw "Your_gateway_IP_without_quotes"

That's it!
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-15 8:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

With WinCE on the J720: ONLY WEP encryption is possible... or no encryption (no WPA). So are you using an old router with wep as a go between?

AFAIK, you're better off setting a static address and gateway through settings==>network==> Aironet properties.

I posted this here a while ago: https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20076&st... Applies to Aironet 340 (350 needs the driver and app, otherwise the same).

Both are good wifi cards but limited to WEP...no longer considered secure, so using an old wep router as a home subnet is a common use.

Orinocco card requires the Agere/lucent driver which can be downloaded as a zip file contained the lucent.cab on this site. Choose Arm version.

The Aironet card driver is part of the stock rom on the J720 and configuration app is found Start => programs =>communication=> Aironet setup and Aironet WEP (password is "Aironet".

IMO, it's a bit of a dance to get wifi working. Go into settings=>control panel =>network. Pick the Aironet or lucent driver (WLAGS:Agere), open properties and set a static ip address, subnet, and router gateway, primary DNS is router address... (IMO static address works more consistently than DHCP).

Then programs=>communications=>remote networking=>make new connection=>name it=>direct connection=>next=>usb on comx=>tcpip settings=>set static ip=>set server (router) ip.

In control panel =>communication properties=>change device name to a specific ID on network=>PC connection=>change to your connection name from drop down menu.

Tweaks2k2 programs is great for setting up network file shares.

Some of the above may or may not be necessary and sound a bit like VooDoo....but it works well for me and you can waste hours trying to catch your tail. This way you have all the bases covered! Good luck.

Joval

posted from my J720 running Devuan + Raspi

Should help you out, I hope.

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-07-15 8:30 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-15 9:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, Joval!

Right now I'm at work.....trying to get connected to the 'guest network' which uses 'captive portal'....when you enter a URL in browser it takes you to a page where you need to click the button and then it let's you browse. With new devices, I usually try neverssl.com first, so that it redirects to the guest network page.

So, for now, I chose no WEP. Thought that it might work...

But still don't understand whether my problem with card is due to WEP or WPA issue or if I haven't setup config completely or correctly, etc.

If issue is WEP or WPA, then either I can try using card booting up Devuan or wait until the evening at home and try to connect there...have WPA there, but if needed to test card, I can disable it briefly to test.

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-15 9:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-07-15 1:06 PM

Thanks, Joval!
With new devices, I usually try neverssl.com first, so that it redirects to the guest network page.

Thanks for the tip on neverssl.com! So it might work on guest networks with Pocket Internet Explorer? Gonna check it out.

With the MP900c the aironet "radio is connected" only works if No Profile is selected. Should change J720 network name/Id in control panel==> communication properties.

Off for bike ride along the coast trail,

joval
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-16 2:45 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

You're welcome, thanks for your tips...

Hope you had a good ride....it's nice country up there.....

Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-07-16 9:09 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Good news
I found a way to get the Ambicom WL54-CF card working! Now we have a card that supports WPA2 in Linux.

You need to install firmware-libertas and connman. (you can use TAB for auto fill the wifi_ name)

$ sudo apt install firmware-libertas connman

Now insert your card and follow the instructions for connman (I copied them from the Debian wiki https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse):

$ /usr/sbin/connmanctl
connmanctl> enable wifi
connmanctl> scan wifi
Scan completed for wifi

connmanctl> services
YOURSSID wifi_f8d111090ed6_6d617269636f6e5f64655f6d6965726461_managed_psk
... ...

connmanctl> agent on
Agent registered

connmanctl> connect wifi_f8d111090ed6_6d617269636f6e5f64655f6d6965726461_managed_psk
Agent RequestInput wifi_f8d111090ed6_6d617269636f6e5f64655f6d6965726461_managed_psk
Passphrase = [ Type=psk, Requirement=mandatory, Alternates=[ WPS ] ]
WPS = [ Type=wpspin, Requirement=alternate ]
Passphrase? YOURPASS
Connected wifi_f8d111090ed6_6d617269636f6e5f64655f6d6965726461_managed_psk

connmanctl> quit

And now you have a working WPA2 encrypted wifi connection!
Remember that I tested this on a fresh installed system, if you like to do this on a system where you connected with other wifi cards to different networks, you have to remove wpasupplicant, wireless-tools, iw and all your config files before you install connman.

Stefan

(IMG_2392.JPG)

(IMG_2391.JPG)

(IMG_2393.JPG)

(IMG_2394.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2392.JPG (168KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2391.JPG (187KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2393.JPG (173KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2394.JPG (183KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-16 11:27 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

WPA2!! Wow, that is fantastic Stefan!! You are amazing.

Ver 2.1 only?

joval

Edited by joval 2021-07-16 11:37 AM
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-07-16 12:20 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hi!
You need at least a Rev: 2.0 card!
Older revisions work with a little driver hack - but the wifi connection is unstable, so i dont recommend that!

Stefan

Edited by _dev-null 2021-07-16 12:24 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-16 2:59 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All!

Reminder per Stefan's previous post ( I edited it a bit) on how to "apt install firmware-libertas":

For this do the following steps:
You have to edit your sources.list

vi /etc/apt/sources.list

to this line "deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged ascii main" add "non-free" it should look like this:

deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged ascii main non-free

After that insert your ethernet card, or working wifi card (you need a internet connection) and do an apt update. Now you can install the required packages
apt install firmware-libertas

joval

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-17 1:47 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Excellent news, Stefan!!!

Worth the wait...

Thank you for your diligence and persistence in getting this working!

Best,

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-17 3:45 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

_dev-null - 2021-07-16 4:20 AM

Hi!
You need at least a Rev: 2.0 card!
Older revisions work with a little driver hack - but the wifi connection is unstable, so i dont recommend that!

Stefan

I've installed the firmware and connmanctl with apt but "services" doesn't show any SSID or anything. Mine is not a "virgin" install so what config files, etc need deleting... no wpa_supplicant was installed but I have used ambicom 54wl and NE2000 ethernet card. Thanks in advance! Very excited too.

joval
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 9