x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux Kernel 4.9 and a (not so) happy Jornada 720

« Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next »
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-03 8:24 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

_dev-null - 2021-07-16 1:09 AM

Good news
I found a way to get the Ambicom WL54-CF card working! Now we have a card that supports WPA2 in Linux.

You need to install firmware-libertas and connman. (you can use TAB for auto fill the wifi_ name)

$ sudo apt install firmware-libertas connman

Now insert your card and follow the instructions for connman (I copied them from the Debian wiki https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse):

$ /usr/sbin/connmanctl
connmanctl> enable wifi
connmanctl> scan wifi
Scan completed for wifi

connmanctl> services
YOURSSID wifi_f8d111090ed6_6d617269636f6e5f64655f6d6965726461_managed_psk
... ...

connmanctl> agent on
Agent registered

connmanctl> connect wifi_f8d111090ed6_6d617269636f6e5f64655f6d6965726461_managed_psk
Agent RequestInput wifi_f8d111090ed6_6d617269636f6e5f64655f6d6965726461_managed_psk
Passphrase = [ Type=psk, Requirement=mandatory, Alternates=[ WPS ] ]
WPS = [ Type=wpspin, Requirement=alternate ]
Passphrase? YOURPASS
Connected wifi_f8d111090ed6_6d617269636f6e5f64655f6d6965726461_managed_psk

connmanctl> quit

And now you have a working WPA2 encrypted wifi connection!
Remember that I tested this on a fresh installed system, if you like to do this on a system where you connected with other wifi cards to different networks, you have to remove wpasupplicant, wireless-tools, iw and all your config files before you install connman.

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Managed to get working Devuan install on CF card using debootstrap instructions.....Thanks for your help!

I decided to try using IceWM for fun....works, but needs configuration changes to make taskbar auto-hide, etc...will post some photos later....

Tried to get my Ambicom card working per your instructions above. However, so far, no go.....

The green 'Power' indicator light is on.

# /usr/sbin/connmanctl 

Error getting VPN connections: The name net.connman.vpn was not provided by any .service filesconnmanctl
connmanctl>

?????

Thanks,

Mark
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-03 11:56 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

UPDATE

Some progress......but not quite there......

Ambicom card now has Link and Power light working!

At work now, was hoping to connect to guest network here....which uses captive portal approach. Need to first connect wifi with connman and then open browser to page where you click the connect button.....

Here's what I see now:

connmanctl> services

Kxxx wifi_00107a7560f5_xxxxxxxx-managed-ieee8021x

Kxxx wifi_00107a7560f5_xxxxxxxx-managed-ieee8021x

These are internal secured networks for employees, so can't connect with 720.....

I need connman to 'see' the 'guest network'.....which is visible when I use my other personal computing devices at work.

Just checked my personal laptop and it sees the guest network.

When I get home, I will try to connect to my home network.....

Inch by inch.....
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-04 2:31 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Mark,

per my earlier PM message to you:

remember:

/usr/sbin/connmanctl starts connection manager with either MA401 wifi card for WPA(fast), or Ambicom WL54 with adapter (WPA2, slow)

type enable wifi, scan wifi (wait), services note your ssid and ID then
type agent on, then connect+spacebar then tab==>add 3 id digit then hit tab for auto complete==> wait, then says connected to id. Can be finicky and refuse connection, repeat a few times if needed, sometimes need to eject and re-insert wifi card.

type lynx.... should connect.

joval

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-04 2:31 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Mark,

per my earlier PM message to you:

remember:

/usr/sbin/connmanctl starts connection manager with either MA401 wifi card for WPA(fast), or Ambicom WL54 with adapter (WPA2, slow)

type enable wifi, scan wifi (wait), services note your ssid and ID then
type agent on, then connect+spacebar then tab==>add 3 id digit then hit tab for auto complete==> wait, then says connected to id. Can be finicky and refuse connection, repeat a few times if needed, sometimes need to eject and re-insert wifi card.

type lynx.... should connect.

joval

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-04 5:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thank, Joval.....

Tried connecting to home network now.....almost did it......so close, but yet so far.....

Passphrase = [ Type=psk, Requirement=mandatory ]  
Passphrase? xxxxxxxx
Agent ReportError wifi_00107a7560f5_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_managed_psk
connect-failed
Agent request cancelled by ConnMan
Error /net/connman/service/wifi_00107a7560f5_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_managed_psk: Operation aborted

Not 100% sure, but may have miss-typed passphrase, as I haven't had to login in a long time...and going from memory on passphrase, and can't find my written note about it now.

But meanwhile, when I try to connect again, I get error message instead of asking me of passphrase.

After several tries, I exited connman and reopened and tried process again, but still get error message each time instead of it asking me for passphrase......

Dang!

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-04 12:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mark,
You might try resetting your router (BTW recommended weekly as I recall)... they can be "resistant" to newcomers.

Or set up an old router with NO encryption and see if can connect. Also, consider J720 reboot.

Your WL54 card is version 2.1??

Everything working great here with Linksys WPC11 ( firmware 1.8 updated) in WPA mode to RasPi in this post. Same process except scan/ services won't show WPA2 sites...in the mix. Using "ssh -XYC4 -c none pi@10.x.x.12" in xterm faster not encrypted, really speeds up firefox.

Using ntware's direct vnc connection on port 5500 (bypasses X forwarding) seems same or a little faster on youtube videos (small window size) than ethernet / wired connection. WPA via connman is quite impressive for ease of set up (no fuss with wpa-supplicant required).

joval

posted on J720/Devuan/WPA to RasPi3/VNC-Chrome

Edited by joval 2021-08-04 12:40 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-04 2:09 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Joval,

Thanks for your input....

I found my passphrase note and I did type it correctly.

Just tried connecting again, this time it asked me for passphrase again, typed it correctly, but got error message again.

Will try your suggestions when I have time....have to go to work now.....

Yes, my WL54 card is v. 2.1.

One thing not clear about.....I interpreted Stefan's 7/16 note about using card (see copy of it at top of this page) that I should not install wpasupplicant, wireless-tools, iw, in order to use connman. So, during debootstrap install process, I only installed connman. Did I misinterpret and need to install those items?

Thanks,

Mark

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-04 4:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Joval,

Re-read your directions about using connman.....want to clarify about one part:

then connect+spacebar then tab==>add 3 id digit then hit tab for auto complete==> wait, then says connected to id.

Not clear what you mean "add 3 id digit then hit tab....". What does this mean?

When I do "connect+spacebar then tab" it autocompletes showing my wifi network info. Then I hit enter key and wait for it to ask me passphrase.

Thanks,

Mark

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-04 8:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Here's some photos of 720 booting up.....

There are various error messages shown. If any should be addressed, please let me know.

And here's some photos of IceWM, Emacs24, URXVT terminal showing error message with ConnMan.

Can change look/theme of IceWM, but haven't had time to do it yet.

Enjoy,

Mark

Edited by ArchiMark 2021-08-04 8:46 PM

(j720-Devuan-Boot-Console-1.jpg)

(j720-Devuan-Boot-Console-2.jpg)

(j720-Devuan-Boot-Console-3.jpg)

(j720-Devuan-Boot-Console-4.jpg)

(j720-Devuan-IceWM-Desktop.jpg)

(j720-Devuan-Emacs24.jpg)

(j720-Devuan-URXVT-2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments j720-Devuan-Boot-Console-1.jpg (115KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments j720-Devuan-Boot-Console-2.jpg (107KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments j720-Devuan-Boot-Console-3.jpg (97KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments j720-Devuan-Boot-Console-4.jpg (96KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments j720-Devuan-IceWM-Desktop.jpg (97KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments j720-Devuan-Emacs24.jpg (93KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments j720-Devuan-URXVT-2.jpg (103KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-08-05 9:09 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

This is AWESOME. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Now I need to switch to IceWM also!

Regards
Stefan
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-05 6:05 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, Stefan!

But I still can't connect to either my home wifi network or guest network at work......

Any suggestions on fixing this? (see ConnMan error messages in recent posts above...)

After debootstrap install, I did not install wireless-tools or iw. I just installed ConnMan. Should I install wireless-tools and iw now and/or other items?

Are the error messages in console text during boot up, OK or need to be addressed?

Thanks,

Mark
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-08-06 8:22 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hi Mark!

You need to create the /mnt/boot directory - so that the system can mount the CE boot partition inside Linux - sudo mkdir /mnt/boot
The other message during boot can be ignored ...

For connman: You dont have to install wireless-tools or iw - the only thing you need is the firmware-libertas package:

If you havent done this already you have to edit your sources.list and add the non-free repo

su -
vi /etc/apt/sources.list

to this line "deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged ascii main" add "non-free" it should look like this:

deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged ascii main non-free

After that insert your ethernet card and do an apt update. Now you can install the required packages

apt install firmware-libertas
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-06 1:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

_dev-null - 2021-08-06 12:22 AM

Hi Mark!

You need to create the /mnt/boot directory - so that the system can mount the CE boot partition inside Linux - sudo mkdir /mnt/boot
The other message during boot can be ignored ...

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your input......

Will create the /mnt/boot directory....

For connman: You dont have to install wireless-tools or iw - the only thing you need is the firmware-libertas package:

Yes, I installed libertas......

Is it bad to install wireless-tools or iw if connman is installed ?

If you havent done this already you have to edit your sources.list and add the non-free repo

su -
vi /etc/apt/sources.list

to this line "deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged ascii main" add "non-free" it should look like this:

deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged ascii main non-free

After that insert your ethernet card and do an apt update. Now you can install the required packages

apt install firmware-libertas

Yes, I did this already.

Issues with connman and getting connected to wifi networks are:

A. Why do I get connman error messages as noted in prior posts ?

B. Why does connman not connect to my WPA network after I enter passphrase ?

C. Why does connman not 'see' the guest network when it scans for wifi networks at my workplace?

Thanks for your help.

Mark
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-06 2:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

And here's photo of IceWM.......WinXP ?

(j720-Devuan-IceWM.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments j720-Devuan-IceWM.jpg (605KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-08 12:44 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Guys,

Just want to add that my latest hosted version of Stefan's Devuan is the 16Gb image which has all the above listed changes, updates for the WPA2/WPA wifi setup... just burn it to a CF or SD card and you're good to go right out of the box... no fuss no muss (ArchiMark may prove the exception to that statement, though)! Just plug in the WL54 and configure it, it will boot up and connect as set. WPA cards work well but can be tricky if you swap out different cards, confuses the system... but are great for mobility. Of course ethernet still works as always. You can find it here: https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697

Mark: I agree with Stefan the IceWM looks good. Thanks for sending me some "how to" instructions. I intend to make some downloadable images incorporating that option. Keep up the good work, my friends!

Many thanks to you both,

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-08-08 12:46 AM
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 10