x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows 10X Preview

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-02-13 10:13 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

So, I was surfing YouTube and found this:

as some YouTube user commented "It looks like Microsoft has merged Windows and Android together..."
I agree with that.

I hope there will be small (dual screen) devices that utilize this Windows 10X in the future.

Edited by stingraze 2020-02-13 10:13 AM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2020-02-14 5:48 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

At a first glance it seems to me that they are going after design before functionality again, even if you consider that this is only an alpha.
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2020-02-15 11:31 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Theoretically, a manufacturer could install Win10X to a Surface Duo type phone. (It will run Android by default.)

I do wonder how it would behave on a single-screen device that had proper input device support. Right now, people are putting 10X on single-monitor laptops and whatnot but it's not working well since the driver support is missing.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-02-25 7:39 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Am I the only person who just can't get excited about this any more? I think my interest died after Windows 7 arrived.

It looks... meh? So I assume everything will annoy me, take 5 more clicks than necessary in Windows XP and be designed for content consumption rather than actually... you know, doing anything.
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2020-02-25 7:46 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I'm inclined to agree, C:Amie.

Today's "modern" interfaces have really not advanced beyond what things were in the early 1990s on the Application Manager of the HP100LX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Manager_(HP_LX)

The essential graphical elements are the same on the allegedly modern iOS or Android operating systems. The only difference between these are that you couldn't actually uninstall applications via the HP App Manager. Otherwise, it's the same. You go to the home screen to start your programs and they're arranged in a grid.

It looks like Windows 10X is just adding a recent document menu to the app list.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2020-02-27 10:24 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Regarding extra clicks - I do not see how this would be any worse than W10 now unless they continue getting rid of classic control panel applets.

Regarding being excited: if I ignore that any Windows device without keyboard is intolerable for me, I just do not see any straight progress to having utilitarian uncompromised OS and programs. Windows is the OS for legacy and Desktop software and the amount of compromises and changes Microsoft made to tailor it to their vision of average user is not making me excited.

In my opinion user experience with tablet PCs is depending on softare much more than on desktops and laptops.

Edited by Alt Bass 2020-02-27 10:39 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-02-27 2:46 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I agree with you on the keyboard.
I have one small detachable keyboard Dynabook I bought a couple years ago, but I don't use it without the keyboard. It just doesn't feel right. on the other hand, my iPad excels at this.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-02-28 8:13 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

So much for Steven Sinofsky's wondrous vision of the future... That gamble set Microsoft back 6/7 years and we're still no further forward, but Windows is increasingly looking weaker and weaker against the competition and less and less relevant for technical creators and power users.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2020-02-28 9:38 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'd say it is not decreasingly relevant but rather increasingly painful to use.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 11