x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

.net development for HPC2000 (Jornada 720)

1 2
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-03-18 3:00 PM
#
H/PC Elite

You all know that my favorite HPC of all time is the Jornada 72x. Being a developer for so many years, it is a shame that I’ve never tried to write anything for my little computer. I’ve seen some posts about .net cf on wince 2.00 but I couldn’t find any download of the runtime for wince 3.00. Will the 2.00 runtime work on HPC2000 devices as well? Also, in terms of development IDE, which version of visual studio would be the most appropriate to start writing .net cf 1.0 apps? VS2003? Is there any free alternative? I know .net cf is a subset of the regular .net framework. Are there code examples I can look for targeting cf 1.0?
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-03-18 6:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

If anyone could get a tutorial together, that would be amazing! *rubs hands*
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-03-18 9:45 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I forget if it was .NET CF 1.0, but I used to have this book. It's only about 10cents, so I think it's worth that money. It's for VB .NET though.

Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-03-18 11:50 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Can anyone confirm that the ported .net cf 1.0 for wince 2.11 works on the Jornada 72x (HPC2000) as well?
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-03-19 1:57 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Answering my own question, I can confirm that the wince2.11 .net cf 1.0 sp3 works on the Jornada. At least, the hello world application that comes with it launched fine. Now the next step is to write my own C# apps for this little machine. Cool!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-03-19 2:40 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The original Microsoft version of .NET CF 1.0 SP3 (with native support for CE 3.0 and higher) is here:

https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/details.asp?r={E0CAE8DE-527D-4CA...

Notwithstanding the description (which comes from Microsoft), it has been known for some time to be compatible with H/PC 2000 devices. (I can attest to that myself.) Easier to use since you don't have to add '.net' to the end of all the compatible apps.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-03-19 1:19 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The microsoft official version is a bit confusing to install. It has millions of different cab files and I don't know which one is the right one for the Jornada. Here is the list of the possible candidates:
- netcf.all.wce4.ARMV4.cab
- netcf.all.wce4.ARMV4l.cab (what is this "l" about?)
- netcf.core.ppc3.ARM.cab

Should I use the wce4 or the ppc3 version? Also, it seems that the wce4 one includes "all", while the ppc version has only the core. Any thoughts?
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-03-24 7:06 PM
#
H/PC Elite

After a bit of testing, I can confirm that the netcf.core.ppc3.ARM.cab works perfectly on the HPC2000 (Jornada 720). The behavior of this official Microsoft port and the WinCE2.11 one seems absolutely identical.

As a proof of concept, I created a little Tic Tac Toe game. The development had a few curveballs due to the super limited compact framework. It lacks even a simple ImageButton tool, so I had to create a couple things from scratch for this game that I though I could get for granted.

Attached are some screenshots and the full code + executable. To run it, just extract the .zip file and copy the .exe over to your HPC. It should run on anything that has .net CF installed.

The nice thing about .net is that the same binary .exe file runs anywhere from my WinCE3.0 Jornada to my Windows 10 Laptop! This is quite craze, uh?

Thanks for the support guys. Hopefully I'll come out with some other nice little apps for my HPCs in the future, now that I've been successful through my "initiation"

edit: I was only able to upload the binary .exe, as the Visual Studio project file is bigger than 100kb. CAmie, is there a way for me to submit this to SCL?

Edited by ntware 2020-03-24 7:09 PM

(20200325145440.png)

(20200325145504.png)

(20200325145534.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20200325145440.png (13KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 20200325145504.png (10KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 20200325145534.png (7KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments TicTacToe.zip (25KB - 8 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-03-24 10:18 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Nice work! I'll try to test it on my device later on today.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-03-25 1:49 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Pretty nice graphics.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-03-25 11:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Sorry, I was a little busy yesterday.

I used the .NET Compact Framework 1.0 for 2.11 on my Sigmarion 3, and I report your tic-tac-toe game working fine.
There seems to be a minor bug, at least in my environment where the last image doesn't show up.

Good work! I look forward for your future applications.

(tic-tac-toe.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tic-tac-toe.jpg (138KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-03-26 12:52 AM
#
H/PC Elite

You have a Sigmarion III? I envy you Mine died several years ago when I was still in college. The culprit probably was my custom built battery that fried it.

About the last picture, it happens on my Jornada as well. I just left it like that because it isn’t bothering me, but I bet that just calling a .Refresh() method right before invoking the message box should fix it.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-03-26 12:57 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, I have a Sigmarion 3. It's really nice device to have on the go for writing stuff.

I hope to someday have Jornada 720, but it is not too cheap and kinda rare in Japan.
Thanks for the explanation about your app.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-03-26 5:24 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hey, Cool! Your creation looks real good on the MobilePro 900...maybe I'll even win sometime (not yet tho). Keep up the good work!

Yes...it even runs in Win 10! So, just what is this .Net thing???

Edited by joval 2020-03-26 5:55 AM

(tiktac.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tiktac.bmp (300KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-03-26 10:26 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Many .NET Compact Framework-based apps work on a PC with the .NET Framework installed because technically the .NET CF core is a subset of the .NET Framework. While the .NET CF runtime files are processor-specific to the host CE device, the apps themselves have x86 processor identifiers. Kinda nice because you can often check out someone else's .NET CF app on your PC to see how it looks, without having to have Visual Studio installed on the PC. Also, of course, the apps themselves usually work with the .NET CF on any processor, even if they only come with, say, ARM installer CABs. See here for more details:

https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12404&po...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.328 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 12