x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

.net development for HPC2000 (Jornada 720)

1 2
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-03-26 11:49 AM
#
H/PC Elite

joval - 2020-03-26 12:24 AM
Yes...it even runs in Win 10! So, just what is this .Net thing???

The reason why .net apps run everywhere is because a .net application is not compiled for any specific processor. Instead, it is compiled for a "virtual machine". The runtime is like a JIT compiler that translates the virtual machine code in real-time to the host machine. So, if you have the runtime installed on an ARM cpu, when you launch a .net application, the virtual machine code will be translated to ARM code and then the app runs. Same thing on a Windows 10 x86 PC, the runtime (that nowadays comes built-in on every Windows) translates the code to x86. Think of this like an emulator - you can run the same NES games on your PC, on your phone, on your tablet, etc using a NES emulator. However, since the .net targets only Windows apps, the JIT compiler uses some tricks to make it a lot faster than regular emulators, e.g.: some Windows calls are executed natively (full speed), use of cache memory to "remember" code previously compiled, etc..

All in all, .net apps are nice because they can run anywhere, are very easy to program (C# is kinda like Python, where everything comes ready and you just use it!), but can't run as fast as a native application.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-03-27 2:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ntware...That is a great explanation. How do I learn more??
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-03-27 11:54 PM
#
H/PC Elite

First, grab a copy of a Windows 2000 VM (winworldpc is a great resource for old and abandoned operating systems). Then use some Google-Fu to find a copy of MS Visual Studio 2003. This is technically not free, but given its age, I believe Microsoft considers it abandonware. The legality of it is up to you...

VS 2003 comes with .net compact framework built in. So after installing it on your Windows VM, you can start creating .net apps right away.

If you want, I can share with you the source code for my little Tic Tac Toe game. In fact, it would be better if I could upload this to HPC:Factor somewhere to help other future developers. CAmie, suggestions?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-03-28 1:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

you've got me drooling...yes, I would like to see the lay of the land on tic-tac-toe. I think I can...I think I can...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-03-29 7:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ntware - 2020-03-27 11:54 PM

First, grab a copy of a Windows 2000 VM (winworldpc is a great resource for old and abandoned operating systems). Then use some Google-Fu to find a copy of MS Visual Studio 2003. This is technically not free, but given its age, I believe Microsoft considers it abandonware. The legality of it is up to you...

VS 2003 comes with .net compact framework built in. So after installing it on your Windows VM, you can start creating .net apps right away.

If you want, I can share with you the source code for my little Tic Tac Toe game. In fact, it would be better if I could upload this to HPC:Factor somewhere to help other future developers. CAmie, suggestions?
ntware, happy to host the source and the BIN's in the SCL. We also now have a GitHub repository for source code that Karpour has been working on. I'll PM you an upload code.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-03-30 2:20 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks for the upload code CAmie! I fixed a couple things on the program (like what stingraze mentioned about the last picture not showing up) and uploaded the final code + binary on a zip archive. Perhaps in the future I will write a tutorial on how to write .net apps for HPCs using my TicTacToe game as an example. I think this will motivate future developers for the platform.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-03-30 9:28 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
Saidp Page Icon Posted 2022-04-23 4:18 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hello ntware,
I am trying to figure out what IDE you used to create this program. Can you pelase describe what tools I need to install to get started with programming in .net for Jornada 720?
Thanks!

Edit: Oh I see you mentioned installing Windows 2000 on VM and then installing VS 2003. I will try that. Is there a way to compile .net code from modern Visual Studio IDE?

One more question: How do I get started with programming in .net compact framework? I have programming experience mostly on data engineering but would be happy to learn about Windows CE app development as well.

Thanks!

Edited by Saidp 2022-04-23 4:34 PM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2022-04-23 4:34 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I don’t think there is a way to use a modern editor. For those things it is always better to use whatever was available at the time to avoid getting into nasty bug caused by incompatible software
 Top of the page
Saidp Page Icon Posted 2022-04-23 4:43 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thank you!
One more question that I added while you answered my previous post.

How do I get started with programming in .net compact framework? I have programming experience mostly on data engineering but would be happy to learn about Windows CE app development as well.

Thank you!
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2022-04-25 8:52 PM
#
H/PC Elite

.net CF is not the default programming language for WinCE. That’s just an easy one (and might I add slow one as well). Native code is generally written in eVC (embedded visual C). There are some posts on this forum talking about it. As for .net CF, well, that’s pretty much regular .net with a lot of APIs lacking. But mostly all the main good stuff is in there, so if you learn .net you will learn .net CF
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-04-26 4:38 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Saidp - 2022-04-24 1:43 AM

Thank you!
One more question that I added while you answered my previous post.

How do I get started with programming in .net compact framework? I have programming experience mostly on data engineering but would be happy to learn about Windows CE app development as well.

Thank you!

There is a book on .NET Compact Framework (I used to have it too).
It's only $1.74 on Amazon.com, so it may help you in .NET Compact Framework (VB.NET) development.

Top of the page
null1024 Page Icon Posted 2022-04-28 5:58 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

If you're already familiar with Windows Forms programming in .NET on desktop, it's not too hard to move to .NET Compact Edition. Biggest hurdle for me was just that VS2003 is lacking a lot of stuff vs VS2019.
Porting an existing program from desktop .NET will be difficult with how much is missing, but writing a new one specifically for CE use isn't too hard.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 33