x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Any DOS whiz's here? (HP 200LX)

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-03-30 11:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I would stay away from any program that uses graphics and stick with a straight ascii editor. Even Word for DOS that used CGA mode is too taxing for the little handheld.

WordStar and Word Perfect were 2 of my old time favorites though they were not wysiwyg initially.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-03-30 11:23 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Hiya, Rich! Yeah, I read the same and was hoping to be proven wrong.

I was thinking about installing NewDeal Office Suite, but if you're saying WFD won't run, NewDeal would make problems, I'm sure.

Well, you save me $200+. It's back to daytime drinking, I guess.

Good to hear from you, man.

Jake
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 1:39 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I’ve never had a 200lx, but this guy seems to be running Windows 3.0 fairly well on it: https://youtu.be/e2BB7dl9Wh0

Are you sure the graphical capabilities on this thing are that limited? Also, there is a known overcook that allows you to double the CPU speed. It requires opening your HP and replacing the main crystal oscillator though...
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 2:07 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

My Zeos (http://www.oldcomputers.net/zeos-ppc.html) uses the same processor and runs on MSDOS 5.0 with similar graphics. It runs Microsoft Works version2.00A "rom edition" with spelling checker...works includes a word processor, spreadsheet, and database.

Here's a link I just found...I'll try it on my Zeos and see if it works --if I get the time (requires WinZip to extract which you can download on a trial basis): https://winworldpc.com/download/cb865170-cb9c-6f64-11c3-a4c2b14b5404...

Edited by joval 2020-03-31 2:45 AM
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 2:36 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I'm all ears.

Jake
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 5:49 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I haven't figured out how to get the MSWorks disk images into a useful format to load. But I did find Wordperfect 5.0 here: https://winworldpc.com/product/wordperfect/50-dos I used the installed version and deleted the redundant zip file and copied most all wp.exe, etc files onto a 1 MB pcmcia drive...and it works directly from dos command prompt: "wp" and comes right up...I didn't have room for the second help file...

FYI it also has a file manager of sorts built in...so it would be a good place to start if you have a storage card...you do know how to navigate around in dos shell (command prompt), change drives, start a program , exit dos shell by typing "exit", etc., Right?? Word Perfect has a help menu...just try out the Functiion keys alone, and with ctrl +, alt + key.

Hope this helps some...

Edited by joval 2020-03-31 5:50 AM
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 6:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Alas....the wordperfect file manager is allowing me to see and copy the MSWorks files...so I may have them available directly from the ZEOS.

Edited by joval 2020-03-31 6:23 AM
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 3:32 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hi, joval. Much appreciate you looking into this. Does this mean that you can edit and save MS Works documents, and if so, can you save in rtf. Though Word 97 at least has Works converters.

Any general opinions about Works and is it full-fledged, or does it need a key?

Thanks,
Jake
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 4:40 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

http://vetusware.com/download/NewDeal%20Office/?id=6192

I've always liked NewDeal and it had a stellar word processor, including smart quotes. It'd be interesting to see if that ran on a 200LX.

Jake
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 7:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake, Here are the files for MSWorks from my Zeos...if I can upload them...in zip form.

ok they're in zip file...unzip them onto your storage card on your dos hpc...then at DOS prompt change drive to storage drive and type "works" and it should start up. Alternatively you can copy the files to your internal drive if you have about 1MB free.

MSWorks includes a file manager also...and no KEY is necessary. Good Luck.

Regarding "NewDeal" those files sizes are huge in comparison...3x3MB each in compressed format...doubt it IMO, but possible maybe.

Edited by joval 2020-03-31 7:27 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MSWorks.zip (586KB - 9 downloads)
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 7:51 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Oh very nice, thanks Joval.
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 8:59 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Since PocketDOS emulates an 80186 (the same CPU used in the HP 200lx) I believe that any software that runs on PocketDOS should run on the 200lx. Here is a link from PocketDOS website showing several software, including newdeal office 3.0: http://www.pocketdos.com/screenshots_hpc.htm

I think it is worth giving it a try. I don’t know about version 3.2 or version 2000, but I’m pretty sure version 3.0 should run on the 200lx.

edit: I couldn’t find newdeal 3.0 on a quick google search, but winworld pc has version 3.1b available: https://winworldpc.com/product/new-deal-office/31b
You can also search for the previous version of the software, GEOS PC

Edited by ntware 2020-03-31 9:01 PM
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 9:42 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I use a 200LX still. Some DOS programs won't run. I think the program must be able to run in CGA graphics mode. Also, if it requires a math co-processor, I think you are out of luck. I am able to run Windows 3.0 on mine, but never really do because I don't uses a mouse with it.

My problem with Word 5.5 for DOS is not that it's clunky, but that it does not appear to operate in zoom mode and the text is really small for me (as I have aged some over the years - even with my glasses on).

Thanks for the MS Works. I want to try it out. Most of the time, I use the built in Memo for text files and then just transfer over using the CF card. Then import the text file into Word. WP 5.1 works fine. I don't have WordStar anymore. The built in Memo has a size limit on files (I think) and can't get to big - but I mostly use for meeting notes and just to get ideas started in writing. I use a program called PE2 that is a more versatile text editor and allows me to have multiple files open at a time. (Typing from Memory on the name so I hope it is correct).

Thanks again,

HG
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 9:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

You're correct H20. Has to be CGA compatible, and if the software requires a math co-processor it won't run.

Thanks for the links, NTWare. Will definitely be giving it a shot.
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 10:48 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hey, joval, many, many thanks. Don't have a 200lx, but your help is pushing me toward one.

ntware, thanks for the pointers. If 200lx users have time, I believe that vetus link above is a full-working NewDeal. I had it up and running on an old ThinkPad and I remember being very impressed with the word processing. Definitely had smart quotes and it may have shown bold and italic fonts in WYSIWYG--I don't believe WFD 5.5 could do the same. Pretty good calendar and even came with a browser, though I ended up using Arachne (after getting on-line with an Orinoco Gold and DOS drivers).

At any rate, I'd love to hear a NewDeal success story.

Jake
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 9