x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

pocket word password protection

joval Page Icon Posted 2020-03-30 2:22 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

One question: when using pocket word with a password...is it encrypted or just a file lock with data viewable as ascii. Would renaming it to a text file from pwd defeat the password protection. This is in reference to the Jornada 720 version.

I suppose I could easily check this out myself with a text editor...but I'm in a lazy mood ( or saving my energy/strength should I need it with this "Corona" virus crisis "brewing" somewhere out there...talk about a security breech! Drunken Lemurs may be immune which brings me back to the Factor).
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-03-30 2:51 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Use a hex editor to find out?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-03-30 11:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It is encrypted. Hex edit it your heart out… you won't see anything recognizeable.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 2:42 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Rich...what an honor to hear from you...I still remember your great HPCNEC site (I still visit it on the waybackmachine from time to time...your 900c display teardown was excellent...recently used it)! Thanks for saving me the effort of putting the hex on pocket word.

Stingraze...I appreciate your recommendation ...I should have thought of that myself...an excellent reminder...

Edited by joval 2020-03-31 2:44 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 8:12 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

In theory, the shortest way would be using a tool called L0phtCrack. I've never used it though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L0phtCrack
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-03-31 10:33 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

And the L0phtCrack site has a non-conforming SSL... how edgy

It'll be fairly easy to brute force of course as there is nothing to stop repeated retries... though you'd have to know the pwd binary format to do it properly using external tools. ActiveSync conversion could be a weak point though...
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-04-04 3:46 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Are you tellin' me there ain't no way to hide my lyin' eyes?(Kenny Rogers?) But at least I can make it difficult?!!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-04-04 11:59 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Try Glenn Frey. That's an Eagles track.

https://youtu.be/2PTEqZURh4o
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-04-04 10:08 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

From the way he and Don Feldner despised each other you might prefer to call them the Ego's Band. O.K....you fell for my click-bait, the only way I know to lure you out from the shadows CE Geek.

Is that really you jumping up on your high horse once again (your avatar)??? Oh, Ruby...don't take this code as sound...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-04-04 10:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nah, I borrowed that from Microsoft (an image from Windows XP). But I've done some dirt bike riding (taking a CE device along, of course . ).
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 11