x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Network-challenged HP 620lx

1 2
Minimicrite Page Icon Posted 2005-07-25 1:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

So, here's the deal: I recently acquired an HP 620lx, and despite all of my best efforts, it simply will not connect to a network, either via a hardwired 10baseT connection, or wireless. I am using a 3Com 3C589D card for wired, and a rebadged Orinoco Gold card (Dell TrueMobile 1150) for wireless.

Here's what I did when I got it, in chronological order:
1) Added Service Pack 1 [reset]
2) WinCE 2.0 Network Service Pack (hosted here) [reset]
3) 3Com 3C589x Driver Patch for CE 2.0 (hosted here [reset]

I inserted the card, typed in the driver name (3C589.DLL), configured my network (IP, subnet, etc), and...nothing. No icon in the tray, no connection, nada. The light blinked on and off for about thirty seconds after I plugged it in, but that's the only activity.

Wireless didn't go so well, either. I installed the Orinoco drivers for Win CE 2.0 from Proxim's site, as well as the "Netsetup" that the instructions suggested I install, but everything in that installer had already been previously installed on the 620. Inserted the card, typed in the driver name (WLLUC46.DLL), made sure the wireless config was set to "ANY", and again, nothing. No tray icon, no blinking lights.

Before I do a hard reset, and go through the agonizingly slow process of reinstalling all of this over IR, does anyone know what I may have missed? I've read everything I can think to read, and have scoured the forums all weekend, but I must have missed something.

As an aside, is there a way to turn off all of those blessed "Continue using card in slot 1 on battery power?" messages? They're about to drive me batty.....

Thanks to everyone in advance!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-25 7:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I had to run right now, so will follow up tomorrow if you're still having issues.

Use ActiveSync to make a backup image and then hard reset. If it's no different simply restore - no manual reinstall required.

Check that the NIC works elsewhere and also be aware of this:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0022.asp
 Top of the page
Minimicrite Page Icon Posted 2005-07-25 9:13 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I should have said it above, but I know that both of the NICs are good. They both get used quite often in various Powerbooks, Windoze laptops, and, for good measure, on my Newtons. I've been using one or the other for network connection on an old Compaq laptop while I test the other on the 620.

I've all but given up. I've tried hard resets several times this evening, and loading just the two service packs and NIC drivers, to no avail. I'm backing it up now, so further restores should be easier.

I had a thought that maybe the pcmcia slot was bad, but it read a CF card in an adapter, and it properly recognized (& let me dial out) an ancient Megahertz 14.4bps modem (XJ2144).

I should have a 680e on the way from TigerDirect, assuming it ever comes off backorder Maybe I'll have better luck with it.

Thanks again everyone!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-25 10:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

are these NICs often used in windows laptops? oh well.. i have a lan card that behaves strangely if i use it in a hpc and then in my laptop, or in my laptop and after that in an hpc.. if i mess with it in both kind of devices, then i always need to wait some time before it comes alive again.. (either in the laptop or in an hpc).
so when the time came for me to go wireless, i swore i wouldn't mix my wlan cards.. one wlan for laptop (to be sure i bought a cardbus for it ), one for hpc's.. and that was it. never had any problems with it
it might be just my lan card of course..
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-26 7:54 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hum... the odds on both playing up... slim...

Just to confirm conclusively. The device is CE 2.00 and not 2.11?
 Top of the page
Minimicrite Page Icon Posted 2005-07-26 9:38 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

It has to be CE 2.0...If you'd have asked me yesterday, I'd have been 100% certain. But I left it at home, so I'm second-guessing myself. I can't remember what the system information said. Then again, would I have been able to install WinCE 2.0 SP 1 if it was running 2.11?

Right now, I'm left thinking that maybe the TrueMobile card simply won't work in any CE 2.0 machine. I haven't heard of anyone using it in one. And maybe there is just something about the E-net card that just isn't compatible. Maybe the drivers for both just aren't "generic" enough.

As soon as my genuine Orinoco card gets here in the next week or two, I'll try that.

Windows just doesn't like me
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-26 10:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Have a good look around when you get home. The 589D should just work under 2.00 - 2.11 is a more complicated beast.
 Top of the page
Minimicrite Page Icon Posted 2005-07-26 8:00 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

It's running CE 2.0. Not sure where that leaves me. Bad karma, I guess.

Maybe if I have time, I'll open it up and clean up the contacts and reseat the ROM. Couldn't hurt, I guess.
 Top of the page
Minimicrite Page Icon Posted 2005-08-04 9:44 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Update:

The genuine Lucent Orinoco Gold card I ordered finally showed up yesterday. Slapped it in the 620, and it worked like a champ. I must say I'm really impressed with how well an eight year-old 620lx and six year-old 680e surf the web. I figured I'd be in hourglass-spinning limbo.

Now, is there any way to do a scan for available networks like you can on 2.11 on the 680e? It makes it difficult to take it on trips if you don't know the SSID of all the coffee shops you're going to hit
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-04 3:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Minimicrite - 2005-08-04 3:44 PM

Update:

The genuine Lucent Orinoco Gold card I ordered finally showed up yesterday. Slapped it in the 620, and it worked like a champ. I must say I'm really impressed with how well an eight year-old 620lx and six year-old 680e surf the web. I figured I'd be in hourglass-spinning limbo.

Now, is there any way to do a scan for available networks like you can on 2.11 on the 680e? It makes it difficult to take it on trips if you don't know the SSID of all the coffee shops you're going to hit

yeah.. i was surprised too at the speed of old IE2 in ce 2.0.. i like it

dunno about a wifi scanner for 2.0... but doesn't the orinico utility include a site survey feature or something? in the worst case it will connect automatically, your only problem will be that you can't select which network to connect to if there are several available.
 Top of the page
Hmann
Hmann Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 4:23 PM
#
Your experience with the 620LX mirrors my own, except I can't get it to work. I have both Silver and Gold Orinoco cards, BOTH work fine in my Jornada 680e using the CE 2.11 drivers I found. But, no matter what I do I can't get either card to work with the 620 LX. I noticed you referred to WLLUC46 as the driver name. That's not the one I found and I couldn't find any other. Where did you find CE 2.0 drivers for the Orinoco card?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 7:12 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sigh...

HCL.

hpcfactor.com/hcl
go into wlan cards.. then select Flat view mode and download the driver!
 Top of the page
hmann
hmann Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 1:04 PM
#
Minimicrite - 2005-08-04 9:44 AM

Update:

Sorry to be so redundant. Which specific drivers are you using to make the Gold card work on the Jornada 620LX...I've had no problem getting them to work on the 680e (using Agere 2.11 drivers). I've downloaded all of the available 2.0 drivers and have had no luck yet. If I can narrow it down to drivers that DO work, maybe I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.
 Top of the page
dosenotmakesence
dosenotmakesence Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 8:28 PM
#
hmann - 2005-08-18 1:04 PM

Minimicrite - 2005-08-04 9:44 AM

Update:

Sorry to be so redundant. Which specific drivers are you using to make the Gold card work on the Jornada 620LX...I've had no problem getting them to work on the 680e (using Agere 2.11 drivers). I've downloaded all of the available 2.0 drivers and have had no luck yet. If I can narrow it down to drivers that DO work, maybe I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.
nononononononononnonononononnononononononononononnonononnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 9:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hmann, lol, i already told you what to do! download the orinoco driver for CE 2.0 from the link i've given you...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.226 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 15