x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Astro Slide from Planet Computers

Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2020-04-02 9:12 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

After the ugly monstrosity that was the Cosmo Communicator, Planet Computers is hawking a new sequel, the Astro Slide 5G.

It looks to have mostly the same keyboard as the Cosmo (backlight included) but also has hinges that allow the display to be external when the keyboard is not being used.

These hinges look to be much better quality than the cheap plastic of the Gemini.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/astro-slide-5g-transformer#/

Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-04-02 9:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

neat. the 5G modem looks good.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-04-02 10:12 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Likey!
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-04-02 6:06 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Oh, that's nice. I liked both the Cosmo, the Gemini and I'm loving this. But I still prefer the Gemini for some reason.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-04-03 12:55 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I’m with you HPC:Fan. The Gemini is more HPC-ish with the traditional clamshell format, and I love it. I just have Linux running on mine and it is a pretty good J720 killer (although I still keep my J720 for a distraction-free writing time, and for compulsive reasons as well...)

This new device seems quite nice and I like it. It is a good compromise if you want to keep a ”J720” and a regular phone on the same device
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2023-07-08 4:33 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Yeah, I got my Astroslide through the Indiegogo-campaign.

Now I am one of the few people in the world who own that thing.

The guys at Planetcom seem to have improved their communication and really try to better the situation. It was a very polite and friendly discussion.
I asked if they could ship me a Cosmo instead (they sell them now for about 500USD) but they asked me if I insist on my keyboard/charger combination.
I couldn't care less as long as it is with latin characters and I don't need a charger anyway.

Finally they shipped me an Astro with US keyboard, that is perfectly fine for me. Three days from HongKong to home with UPS-Express.

That device seems to be from one of the first prototypes and may have been lying around for a year. The Planetcom-firmware was not updated and there are minor production quality faults (but I made an OTA update without any problem).
One key has an error on the molding and the backlight shines through sometimes and I think the mechanics for the display seems to be a little bit too soft. But I have nothing to compare it with.
When it is opened the display is perfectly tight but when it is in "cellphone-mode" it is a bit wibbly-wobbly between the two halves.

And the battery was totally discharged (I am glad that it took charge again) as if it has been lying around in the attic for a year.

They seem to ship a few of the older stocked prototypes to the few guys who are lucky enough to ask in the right moment

Hey, it's Indiegogo so I don't care for these minor things. I hope that they will get their stuff right and go into regular production.

Sitting open on the table it really looks like a Psion 5 with modern display - and that is all I expected from it.

Anyway, the Android OS is not the best OS for landscape mode or without using the touchscreen but really the Astro made the best out of it. The switch between portrait- and landscape mode when opening the display while working in an app is beautiful and reminds me of the Nokia Communicator.

There definitely has been much experience in designing mobile devices influenced the Astro.

But as a follow-up device I would wish for one with fixed hinges (like the Cosmo). The idea with the snap-mechanism is beautiful but I prefer my devices more solid (and even a tick heavier )

Overall I am happy to have mine and to be part of the developing process

Top of the page
Salty-GB Page Icon Posted 2023-07-09 2:24 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

It's very cute! I wish it was a tad bit bigger but that can't really be helped.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-07-09 4:56 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Congrats, dl1av, on getting your Astro.

I've had mine for over a year now and it works great.

Had the Cosmo and Gemini prior and liked both of those too.

Enjoy!

Mark
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-07-10 3:51 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
@dl1av, @ArchiMark -- glad to hear some happiness. Though my Gem/Cosmo have no working battery, I do pop over to the oesf forums and people there, by and large, are wrestling with a variety of issues. The latest one, experienced by DanielW (a very nice fellow), is the result of a OTA shutting down his screen. Since he has a Swedish kb, he waited forever and now must wait more. And the sideshow is that many haven't even received broken devices. DanielW might be screaming at it when he's off-line, but his posts are quite stoic.

There's such wariness in those forums, people waiting for the worst, and the worst does often come. I was hoping to see more enthusiastic camaraderie.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2023-07-10 3:53 AM
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2023-07-10 9:28 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

@Jake: I have made my peace with it and the company, too
It is like an experiment and these devices will never be my edc I rely on. They are just for fun.

@archimark: Then I think we have one from the same prototyping cyclus because mine has definitely been on the shelves for about one year. I do not think there is an actual production but they are working on it.

Is yours also a little soft and wobbly between the halves when closed and when you press the halves from the side? So as if it is only held together by some rubber slings? When open then all fits perfectly tight but closed and while opening it feels that there are only some springs and rubber that hold it together.

Feels like it's coming off or loose in a minute if I pull it wrong!??

-Stefan
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-07-10 11:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

@jake
Yes, most of what you read at OESF is about issues. Which tends to be the case for many things online.....way more people are anxious to share their problems, frustrations, etc, than posting that everything is good. I've found the same at work and other venues.

Not saying that people that post with issues are not having issues, they are. But we have to be very careful about extrapolating conclusions from a very small sample pool.

@dl1av
Mine is a production version unit, not a prototyping one.

No, my Astro feels solid and no wobble when closed. Sounds like your issues are due to have a prototype instead of a production version. A lot of issues are resolved after the prototype and before production run starts.

I have no issues with my Astro, works great, and I did both system updates with no problems.

PC managed to get at least one production run of Astros done over the past year. Unfortunately, they have run into one problem after another in China, due to covid, supply chain issues, etc. They are a very tiny company and make deals with very tiny production companies. Neither one gives the same leverage of Apple, Samsung, etc, in dealing with issues. So, they've been at the mercy of whatever happens over there. Most recently, they were cut off from the Chinese production company and have been in the midst of finalizing a deal with another company to get another production run of Astros manufactured. Hopefully, they will get that done and another run produced. We shall see.....

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9