x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Best Utility/Office Software for Windows CE 1.0 among other things.

zar_lord Page Icon Posted 2020-04-05 12:45 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi meow,

As the title suggests I was wondering what this groups opinion is on what's the best utility/office software available for Windows CE 1.0. Granted it appears most of the software has seemingly been nuked from the internet (as I saw several posts state on multiple forums) which is a shame but I'd like to try and get em anyways. I already found a Entertainment Pack 2 for Windows CE at a yard sale!

In another topic, does anyone have any suggestions on what's the better CF for storage (Compact Flash Type I or II)?

Any responses are great, thanks!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-04-05 11:39 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Type I and Type II's difference is the thickness.
Type I: 3.3mm
Type II: 5mm.

Type I is more common place nowadays, but maybe Type II might be cheaper in some circumstances and rarer. I think it all depends on the capacity, the maker, and the store or online store you buy in.

You should make sure that the Compact Flash slot in your machine is thick enough to put in Type II, or else it won't fit.

Edited by stingraze 2020-04-05 11:43 AM
 Top of the page
zar_lord Page Icon Posted 2020-04-05 9:21 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks for responding! It takes both and Type II would seem to be no issue. Any suggestions for memory cards?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-04-06 12:21 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

SanDisk compact flash has been good for me, some cheap ones are okay too I think, but better be sure than sorry.

Transcend as a maker has been pretty decent, but I'd say the quality of Sandisk is really good. Good luck.

Something to note:

"Windows CE 1: Recommended Maximum CF card size is 256MB although it should support cards of up to 2GB. HPC:Factor does not recommend the use of larger cards as CE 1 was never tested with large external storage cards.
Supports 8MB FAT12 and FAT16"

(From https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0012.asp )

There may be some people out here who have tested cards larger than 256MB on Windows CE 1.0 but I'm not sure.

Edited by stingraze 2020-04-06 12:21 AM
 Top of the page
zar_lord Page Icon Posted 2020-04-07 10:39 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thankies! Time to hunt one down meow.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-04-07 11:52 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You can use larger cards, you either have to lose space over 2GB or you have to partition it into multiple 2GB volumes. The latter is generally a bad idea as CE will corrupt the partition table.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-04-07 12:59 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

cool.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 29