x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How is everyone keeping sane?

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-04-10 11:12 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We live in interesting times; as the Roman's say.

So how is everyone coping? Is anyone doing any interesting projects? Anything they'd like to share with the world?

I had the monstrous fortune / misfortune of moving house just as this started up. I've wound up in the house, but with no furniture because everything that was is now on hold due to furlough staff - and everything that needed to be ordered can't be.

So I've been having a raucous old time of it camping in my own house!

I didn't have any Internet connection for 2.5 weeks! I coped surprisingly well. You'd think I'd have gone to bits, but nope. I was totally okay with it. None of you seem to have noticed that the site got physically relocated in preparation for that. Everything got moved in November and brought back in mid-March. Pretty much with no down time.

The wonders of virtualisation!

So come on, share you coping strategies. What are you all up to? What are you going to be getting up to?

Rich: PG13 please!

Stay safe everyone!
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2020-04-10 2:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi, as I indicated here: https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17185&st...
I was already well ensconced into the survivalism/bushcraft world before Covid-19 disrupted modern day life for most of the World. I've been practicing my foraging and gardening skills, working my 'preps', especially with regard to record keeping, etc.
I'm lucky in that I live in rural America, relatively far from any of the hot spots. Praying for this virus to run it's course and for the health of family and friends. Stay safe.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-04-10 2:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi,

Glad you are doing well...

Meanwhile, I'm working in the 'front lines' at a hospital. Been quite challenging to say the least the past month. Although I don't work in patient care, I'm in a support services role. So, don't come into contact with patients.

Actually, glad to be here instead of sitting at home.

Hopefully, we'll be over the hump on this in a few more weeks.....we shall see.

For fun, handheld-wise, enjoy using my Cosmo by Planet Computers or One Mix Yoga 3S by One-Netbook.

Best,

Mark
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-04-10 3:46 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

@C:Amie, sorry to hear! Hope you get things sorted sooner rather than later. I'd have gone ballistic without internet. It's the only thing keeping me sane.

@Mjolnir, I too consider myself a survivalist. Or at least, I used to. Had a food store on a rotation, equipment, and the know-how. But after a back injury and a move, most of my things have gone missing and I've not gotten back into prepping.

As for me, I'm doing what I do most of the time anyway. That is staying indoors. I don't care for people too much anymore, so social distancing is something I've been practicing for decades.
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2020-04-10 5:27 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'm fortunate to be working for local government in a position that is still funded and allows me to telework, at least for now. My wife (who works for a local university) and I have set up on opposite sides of the dining room table, where we spend our days. The bedroom is now the conference room for MS Teams meetings with co-workers. My wife has chronic health issues, so I am the designated shopper and errand runner for the family.

Running hasn't been outlawed yet, thankfully, and we're finally having a little sun and warm weather in Oregon, so I'm getting out 3-4 times a week. Definitely helps keep me balanced.

Hope everyone is healthy and safe.
 Top of the page
Jinnai Page Icon Posted 2020-04-10 10:01 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm not staying sane, I hate not seeing anyone, and surprisingly few of my college acquaintances respond to my texts, they seem to be doing better than me, apparently they had a functioning support structure before all this. Now I'm just lonely and listless all day for weeks on end.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-04-11 2:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

PDXMark, you sound just like me until a little more than a year ago, before I retired. I recently called my old supervisor to see how things are going there, and it's kinda crazy according to him. Telework was already in existence for over 20 years there, but they dole it out with an eye dropper - even now.

So I've been at home most of the time anyway, but at least I could spend time with my girlfriend once in a while. Not now. If it weren't for my CE toys and my Android phone, I'd be even crazier than I already was going in.

The good news is that everyone I know is still healthy. Glad all of you are too. (Knock on wood - with disposable gloves.)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-04-11 2:47 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Japan just entered state of emergency in 7 prefectures including Tokyo and Kanagawa (where I live) a few days ago.

The situation isn't too critical yet, we can go to stores and park if we wanted to although we are requested to stay at home as much as possible.
All the masks are gone, many are thinking of making one for themselves, including us. (I wonder how safe it is though).

Twitter, which I don't use much, is filled with tweets about corona virus. I think I'd rather just not use it during this time...

Edited by stingraze 2020-04-11 2:48 AM
 Top of the page
roychanyl Page Icon Posted 2020-04-11 2:58 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Like Mjolnir,, wife and I are already living the rural lifestyle a few years back, despite residing within close proximity with a few residential areas marked-off as hot spots. People around the area are still not totally heeding the Movement Control Order, and the number of new positive cases are still not levelling or declining.
We already anticipated such an MCO long before the Chinese lockdown Wuhan, hence the running of errands didnt bother us, if at all.
The government just announced an extention of the MCO for another 2 weeks, so staying put is still the norm.
I hope this will be over soon. May all be safe and in good health.
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2020-04-11 9:23 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

We're managing quite well, but lucky in that we've just got one teenager (who's perfectly happy to entertain herself, like most teenagers), I know people stuck in with small children are having a far harder time of it. Shops are a bit of a pain having to queue to get in and short of a lot of items still (we had horrendous panic buying here, including people clearing out all the fresh fruit and veg in the local supermarket - how hoarding perishables makes sense is beyond me). Other than that though no major issues.

I'm staying sane personally mostly by working on prototype v3 of my 3D printed 'HPC', I'll put the details in the relevant thread but considering the scale of the redesign this time it's pretty far along.

Wishing you all a safe and not too stressful confinement.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-04-11 11:16 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Jinnai - 2020-04-10 10:01 PM

I'm not staying sane, I hate not seeing anyone, and surprisingly few of my college acquaintances respond to my texts, they seem to be doing better than me, apparently they had a functioning support structure before all this. Now I'm just lonely and listless all day for weeks on end.
You've got to keep you chin up there Jinnai. Allowing yourself to get despondent about it won't help you get through it. A lot of people right now are caught up in the flow of it all and are under a lot of stress. People tend to shutdown at times like that. I think most of us would agree that getting people to agree to communicate meaningfully outside of immediate family has been difficult. It won't be anything personal towards you.

What you need is a project!

stingraze - 2020-04-11 2:47 AM

Japan just entered state of emergency in 7 prefectures including Tokyo and Kanagawa (where I live) a few days ago.

The situation isn't too critical yet, we can go to stores and park if we wanted to although we are requested to stay at home as much as possible.
All the masks are gone, many are thinking of making one for themselves, including us. (I wonder how safe it is though).

Twitter, which I don't use much, is filled with tweets about corona virus. I think I'd rather just not use it during this time...

I have been amazed that Japan - with its elderly population akin to us in the UK - has managed to keep the exposure rates so low. Demographically, the UK is fairly similar to Japan (although your population is larger). We're going to wind up pretty near top of the fatalities ranking soon though. It isn't the death rate that surprises me, just the low infection numbers in Japan.

Just compare the levels

The higher death rate in the UK is down to ageing population and - apparently #NotFactChecked - obesity levels. About a week ago I heard a statistic that 76% of the reported deaths were in people classes as obese. Now whether that is true, I do not know - and one should never believe anything one hears in the media. Yet, if it is a factor, then I could see why Japanese society would have lower fatality rates.

I'm pretty much out of the way of things. There have been some issues with getting certain things. Potatoes recently, rice a few weeks back. Cleaning products and some medical things like antiseptic, hand sanitiser and pain killers.

Has anyone got any bright ideas for a community project we could run? Or find things for people to do to pass the time - The SCL could always use more listings and device compatibility data!!! (hint)

I know that 3D printing communities have been rallying to 3D print face masks
UK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52111522
USA: https://www.opshieldsup.org/
CA: https://www.canadianshieldppe.ca/pages/community-shield

Other: https://www.prusaprinters.org/group/discover?page=3

Kudos to Czech company Prusa for kicking this off: https://www.prusaprinters.org/
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2020-04-11 11:32 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I still live with my parents and I had a spare newly-new PC chassis and PSU leftover from a build that ended up using different parts. Their 2010 Dell is mostly standards compliant so I spent yesterday and the day before doing a case swap. Still needs a 5&1/4 to 3&1/2 inch front fascia adapter for the card reader. It'll boot up as normal after hitting F1 and Escape.

It didn't go to plan in one aspect. A third party cooler was ordered in the assumption that the stock motherboard backplate could be removed...it can't. The current heatsink is broken to the point where it doesn't make proper contact with the CPU anymore, and the fan is probably shot (very loud). The original cooler is no longer available new and given the age of the system (motherboard temp sensors could be faulty as well) there's no point in investing in one imo.

So the new cooler will have to wait until the rest of the electronics finally become unserviceable. They seem content with the change although the new chassis will no longer fit under their desk. :/
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-04-11 12:18 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

C:Amie - 2020-04-11 8:16 PM
The higher death rate in the UK is down to ageing population and - apparently #NotFactChecked - obesity levels. About a week ago I heard a statistic that 76% of the reported deaths were in people classes as obese. Now whether that is true, I do not know - and one should never believe anything one hears in the media. Yet, if it is a factor, then I could see why Japanese society would have lower fatality rates.

Hmm... Obesity levels. Makes sense though.
Japanese mostly aren't too obese, compared to the American standard. (no offense) We eat a lot of fish

C:Amie
Has anyone got any bright ideas for a community project we could run? Or find things for people to do to pass the time - The SCL could always use more listings and device compatibility data!!! (hint)

I am thinking we can create a HPC:Factor team for Folding@Home? They're folding proteins to combat COVID-19. I started with my setup of GF GTX 1070Ti from a few years back, it went well.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-04-11 5:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Paianni - 2020-04-11 11:32 AM

I still live with my parents and I had a spare newly-new PC chassis and PSU leftover from a build that ended up using different parts. Their 2010 Dell is mostly standards compliant so I spent yesterday and the day before doing a case swap. Still needs a 5&1/4 to 3&1/2 inch front fascia adapter for the card reader. It'll boot up as normal after hitting F1 and Escape.

It didn't go to plan in one aspect. A third party cooler was ordered in the assumption that the stock motherboard backplate could be removed...it can't. The current heatsink is broken to the point where it doesn't make proper contact with the CPU anymore, and the fan is probably shot (very loud). The original cooler is no longer available new and given the age of the system (motherboard temp sensors could be faulty as well) there's no point in investing in one imo.

So the new cooler will have to wait until the rest of the electronics finally become unserviceable. They seem content with the change although the new chassis will no longer fit under their desk. :/

Does it take a standard LGA775 / 1156 cooler or is it Dell proprietary?

stingraze - 2020-04-11 12:18 PM

C:Amie - 2020-04-11 8:16 PM

Hmm... Obesity levels. Makes sense though.
Japanese mostly aren't too obese, compared to the American standard. (no offense) We eat a lot of fish

I am thinking we can create a HPC:Factor team for Folding@Home? They're folding proteins to combat COVID-19. I started with my setup of GF GTX 1070Ti from a few years back, it went well.

I assume they use a different system from the BOINC group that we already have?

^ This is what I mean. It's like it decided to ignore Japan for a month!

Source: https://nucleuswealth.com/articles/updated-coronavirus-statistics-ca...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-04-11 9:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

C:Amie - 2020-04-12 2:29 AM

I assume they use a different system from the BOINC group that we already have?

Yes, they use their own program now, not BOINC.

^ This is what I mean. It's like it decided to ignore Japan for a month!

Source: https://nucleuswealth.com/articles/updated-coronavirus-statistics-ca...

Hmm... I wonder if that is really true. I am surprised.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11