x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How is everyone keeping sane?

1 2 3
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-04-15 4:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You never wondered why I chose the image I use for my avatar, Rich?

Few people remember the Hodaka. I do remember the days before the monoshock, though - my brother had one of the first Honda CR125s back in 1973, with the dual rear shocks, during a brief fling with two-stroke bikes - another thing that eventually faded away, and for good reason IMHO, since two-stroke engines were dirtier to the air and pretty high-maintenance besides. As more efficient and powerful four-stroke engines developed, they were able to compete with two-strokes in off-road performance. But the electric motors developed recently for motorcycles beat both types of gas engine with lower maintenance and higher torque - enough to get even the big Austrian dirt bike maker KTM to jump into that market.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-04-15 4:30 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Funny… I had a brief fling with 4 strokes in 1973. CL100. But back then all the 4 strokes weighed so much more they couldn't compete with serious riders. As you say, not the case with today's tech.

But how cool would it be to ride a trail in near silence…and I agree with changing times. I'm into fishing these days and I have a friend who bought an electric outboard last year. Pretty maintenance free. Though it cost twice what a gas outboard would cost. Never seen electric motorcycle except on tv.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-04-20 7:57 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

My latest "fling" ...4 miles up highway 74, where the straight road makes its first curve left, at the wildlife refuge...sidewalks most of the way now. My DIY ebike...27.5 /3.6 tires, torque sensing mid drive electric motor (Tongseng 450 watt), 11AH 48 volt battery, front and rear shocks (dual suspension), nice hydraulic disc brakes, 30 mile range +. As I've said before, reminds me of my old long gone Honda 90 motorcycle but with exercise and fun combined.

Edited by joval 2020-04-20 8:21 PM

(palmdesert_escapingcorona.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments palmdesert_escapingcorona.jpg (395KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-04-21 3:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nice bike, and nice trail. I'm guessing that view is to the north. (Maybe with my knee joints getting creaky I should consider getting an electric-powered bicycle. Right now I have two recumbents [one two-wheel, one three-wheel] sitting mostly unused in my back yard. )

Rich, I've seen an electric street bike by BMW at an electric vehicle show my car was another entry in. You definitely have to get used to the torque - one guy hopped on and pulled on the throttle, and the bike promptly got away from him. Hope he didn't scratch it - "you break it, you buy it" gets kinda pricey at an electric vehicle show.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-04-21 5:08 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Joval, I used to mountain bike. Mostly downhill. Still have my old Trek and GT, too. What kind of bike is that?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-04-21 6:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I forgot to ask, too - was that Honda 90 the one with the pedal start?
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9