x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 5:28 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

It's 2020, the "last real" Windows CE clamshell was released in 2004, the NEC MobilePro 900C. Hewlett Packard kept the ball rolling into the late 2000's with their iPaq PDA's. Now, a decade and some change later we're seeing a resurgence of handheld devices running Android. One such device is the Gemini PDA which shares roots with the Psion 5/mx of old.

So I'm wondering, what have you replaced your WinCE device with? Or are you still a "clinger", clinging on to the wonderfully outdated machines we all know and love? Currently, I'm on the constant lookout for a Gemini. I feel it's the perfect blend of old and new. Beyond that, my phone is my go-to device that I carry daily. (Although, I do dabble with the HP 1000CX.)

Would love to read what you all are using on a daily, or near daily basis.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 4:32 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Galaxy S10e and a Dell XPS 13.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 5:31 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Phone: LG v20 LS997 Android 8
Tablet: Teclast M89 Android 7
Desktop: Really old Gateway E4610S Win 7 Pro. Maxed out! GTX590 video card, Core2 duo cpu, USB3, Dual slim Dvd writers in single 5.25 slot, actual 3.5" fdd/card reader combo, solid state sata drives, pcie cards with old style db9 serial. And all with low heat btx motherboard.

CE device…just to fool around with…
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 7:50 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I am totally not a clinger. As soon as I started having daily tasks for a smartphone I got one, Samsung S4 Active - I can't stand sensor buttons, this is most recent model without them. And I got oneMix 2S.

Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 11:07 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I'm still a clinger.

I still use Sigmarion 3, more of it recently.
I installed PocketC to notice they were different from regular C language.

but, I have a Xperia XZ3 and my favorite Macbook Pro.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 11:46 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Well, I still have my all-time favorite J720, which becomes less and less useful each day. It is now restricted to a distraction-free writing station, which is pretty good because I love the J720’s instant-on, portability, and keyboard.

As a modern J720 replacement I got a Gemini, which is pretty cool. I kinda use it almost every day for various tasks (remote server management, coding, quick web surfing, etc). The portability is great and the keyboard is ok, not excellent, but acceptable. The major drawback of the Gemini that makes it not being a perfect J720 replacement is that it doesn’t have an instant on feature - at least not on Linux, and Android on this device is pretty useless in my opinion. Why? Because Android UI was designed to be used in portrait mode 90% of the time, and the Gemini is a landscape device 100% of the time. This makes the overall UI in Android extremely clumsy and hard to deal with.

Besides that I have an iPhone 11 Pro (“big firm” bought it for me.. I would never spent that much $$$ on a phone) which is probably my last Apple device. I also have a regular HP work laptop that I neither like or dislike
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-04-13 3:07 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Am I a "clinger"? Three guesses, and the first two don't count.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-04-13 10:39 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

stingraze - 2020-04-12 11:07 PM

I installed PocketC to notice they were different from regular C language.
And was it?

CE Geek - 2020-04-13 3:07 AM

Funny. That's exactly what Mrs. Geek said...
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2020-04-13 12:58 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Mi Mix 2S and my Jornada 720 with Linux! I use the Jornada for taking Notes, reading Mails, SSH, write Python scripts and connecting to various network devices over Ethernet/RS232.
I recently got a PCMCIA Parallel Port card and plan to use it for programming devices over JTAG.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-04-13 1:50 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hey dev-null, how is your Jornada with 128MB upgrade doing? Haven’t heard from you in a while. Did you manage to fix the instability issues? Can you use the full 128MB address space? What about Debian? Did you manage to have apt working on it?
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2020-04-13 7:40 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Galaxy S9 and the One Mix 1S Yoga are my primary devices, but I still pull the J720 out regularly. I like being able to see 2 weeks of my schedule (via CE Agenda) on the Jornada, which I can't do on the Yoga. Wish there was a CE Agenda clone for Win 10.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-04-14 12:28 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2020-04-13 2:39 AM

CE Geek - 2020-04-13 3:07 AM

Funny. That's exactly what Mrs. Geek said...

You know I don't officially have a "Mrs Geek" yet. However, I admit I'd rather cling to my lady than to my CE devices.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-04-15 7:38 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Occasionally miss my 'ol Jornada and other CE devices from way back when....

Had the Planet Computer Gemini until recently, been using the newer model Cosmo for some months now, works great...and just backed on Indiegogo their next model, the upcoming Astro Slide....which reminds me of the HTC Shift I had years ago...

Also, use my One Mix Yoga 3S quite a bit....

Have several other small laptops; One Mix Yoga 2S, One Mix Yoga, and GPD Pocket.....and a few small Panasonic laptops for good measure.....been meaning to post them for sale....hope to get around to that soon....need to clean house a bit....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-04-15 7:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2020-04-14 12:28 AM
I admit I'd rather cling to my lady than to my CE devices.

Young man, go and wash your mouth out!

Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-04-16 12:51 AM
#
H/PC Elite

ArchiMark - 2020-04-15 2:38 PM
Had the Planet Computer Gemini until recently, been using the newer model Cosmo for some months now, works great...and just backed on Indiegogo their next model, the upcoming Astro Slide...

Hey ArchiMark, are you liking your Cosmo better than the Gemini? I heard that there were significant improvements on the Cosmo keyboard over the Gemini one. I really like my Gemini, but the keyboard can be a little frustrating sometimes. The keys are a bit “sticky” and aren’t “easy” to press, which makes me miss keys eventually. I feel that on the Gemini I have to press keys more firmly than I normally do on other keyboards. Have you experienced the same thing with your Gemini? Did you notice any improvement on the Cosmo?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 28