x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Your Ideal Handheld

1 2 3 4
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2024-01-28 1:46 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, the first one is like GPD / Panasonic / Toshiba and Asus netbooks combined.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-01-28 5:38 PM
#
H/PC Elite

My fav is the 360LX but ive found the SD to Compact flash adaptor i have is killing my battery life. I dont think i am getting 4 hours. Ive tried different batteries (Ni-CD, Alkaline, LION etc). Does this unit work better using a PCMCIA>CF and not using the SD>CF adaptor I have ? I really like the 360LX but this is driving me nuts.

But for my i like the overall design of the 360LX and the white backlight. Just wish the battery life was better.
 Top of the page
mochek Page Icon Posted 2024-02-04 10:34 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Honestly a modernized Jordana 720 that's slightly bigger, but thinner. I so wanted Planet Computers AstroSlide to work out, but that didn't happen in the end. I really like having keyboard to write with, touch screen keyboards are terrible.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-04 4:03 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Of the older ones i like the 360LX the best keyboard
 Top of the page
goldfishdev Page Icon Posted 2024-02-05 5:49 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

agree. touchscreen keyboards aren't great. I don't get much feedback from it, makes typing longer things weird.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-02-06 3:11 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
@WallyB110 for battery power, you could try Tenavolt rechargeables. They're expensive and come with what I believe is a proprietary charger. So 4 AA's and the charger will set you back about $35usd. But they're the only batts that can run my Ominibook 425.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2024-02-06 3:11 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2024-03-12 12:27 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I made two more today with DALLE 3.
Now with many ports.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2024-03-12 12:33 AM

(umpc-with-many-ports.jpg)

(umpc-gray-2024.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments umpc-with-many-ports.jpg (90KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments umpc-gray-2024.jpg (72KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-12 8:11 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I love my Jornada 680, but I prefer the way the CF card is stored in my 360LX or in my 620LX. I swear that the hatch-door of the 680 is a pain in the... It opens by itself with no apparent reason, and there's no easy fix unless you 3D print a bottom case or a piece of plastic that keep that little door from opening.

IDK in what was this person thinking when he praised this mechanism...

HP Jornada 680 review

But, if it's a question of imagination, my perfect palmtop/handheld won't be a mix of models, but an accessory.

Let me explain myself.

Smartphones are among us for more than 30 long years now (first one was IBM's SIMON), and have evolved and get more accessible for the public year by year. If we talk about formats and sizes, there are several options to choose, among them the 7 inch versions which, in most of the cases, are cheaper with the lack of very few capabilities.

The perfect palmtop/handheld PC will be a device that works for smartphones, and that we have already seen for tablets.

The case with keyboard incorporated.

Imagine your 7 inch smartphone inserted in a clamshell format case with the keyboard of the HP Jornada 6xx or 7xx. You'll have plenty of apps, from productivity ones to games, entertainment... Also you'll get storage sizes of GB without the need of expansions, even if you could add micro SDs to that devices if you want to add a lot of music, movies, or games. Plus, connectivity will not depend of clunky-chunky PCMCIA cards.

And you could even use a Bluetooth mouse!!

Here's one possible approach...

Almost perfect...

Awww... I want be rich...

Of course, those are already existant devices, and very expensive ones, BTW. BUT what I'm talking about is the possibility of buying a clamshell case on which you could attach your regular smartphone, something like this case for tablets, that cost almost none for what they offer...

I've transformed an old tablet into a laptop with one of those for just 10€.

Of course, the keyboard should be like the one of the Psion or the Jornada. And for the OS... Well, I've seen people installing win10 on a smartphone and on a tablet, so... I think that your skills are the limit.

Edited by ABBADON 2024-03-12 9:08 AM
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-12 9:14 AM
#
H/PC Elite

680e with the bottom part that covers the CF slot. Unit stays flat when typing . Same with my 690.
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-12 9:30 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

+10000
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-12 10:35 AM
#
H/PC Elite

My favorite is my 680e an 690. Eventually get the 728.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 13