x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Your Ideal Handheld

Moderators: C:Amie

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]

HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 5:35 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I know we've talked about this before. Some have even gone as far as trying to create their ideal handheld while others, like me, sit here and ponder the what-if's.

So, if you had the opportunity to create your ideal handheld, what would it be? Would it be a Journada with Windows 10? Or a Palm with Android? It's your imagination, so feel free to let loose.

As for me, I'm a huge fan of the Psion 5 series. But since there's a device out there that's pretty much my ideal handheld I'll go with my second favorite. I'd love to see a MobilePro 900C packed with a modern processor, screen, bluetooth and 5G networking with AC wireless. Throw in a MicroSD card and USB-C for transfer / connectivity for good measure. Would like to see it running both Windows 10 as well as Android.

Now that I think about it, something like that almost already exists. The GPD Pocket. But it just doesn't have the charm the wide MP 900 has. I guess it's a mix of nostalgia talking.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 11:12 AM
#
Writing Team
H/PC Elder

I'd say a Japanese made GPD Pocket.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 12:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Although the Gemini seems to be the perfect handheld, I still think my perfect device is a Jornada with a new screen, new CPU, running Linux. I never had a Psion 5, so I don’t know if this is a legacy issue or is just a bad implementation from Planet Computers, but my J720 keyboard feels so much better than my Gemini’s. Gemini’s keys are a bit “sticky” so you need to press more firmly for them to register, which means less typing speed. Also, even though the jornada keys are a bit smaller, I like the keyboard layout a lot better. Having to press combinations of Fn keys to type many common characters such as : ; “ and ‘ is a bit frustrating. I can’t even type a single sentence in English without using the Fn key at least once (mostly due to ‘ in I’m or can’t or don’t for example). I can say that my typing speed on the jornada is about 95% of my laptop’s keyboard and on the Gemini it drops to something like 70-75%, not to mention that I make a lot lesser mistakes on the jornada because it’s keys aren’t so sticky and register easily.

So yeah, a retrofitted Jornada 728 would just be perfect. Make it a bit slimmer, replace the screen with a very nice hi-dpi IPS screen, and add a multi-core ARM CPU and I’m good
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 1:21 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

One Netbook oneMix seems to be a good approximation of my ideal handheld but there are several things I would definitely like to see changed:
- fan cooling is totally unnecessary, almost like a scam. I learned that after I opened mine: it has no thermal paste on the CPU and there is even a bump of a compound near the cpu preventing close contact with cold plate. With those mistakes present the CPU was boosting to higher than base clock in Cinebench R15 multithreaded
- I would definitely like body made from some composite materials like glass fibre instead of aluminium. Keyboard base plate made from steel is not optimal too
- I would definitely like less compromised keyboard - it should be a tad bit smaller and/or wider but with more uniform key sizes, number keys feel too small
- there should be more software optimised for touch+keyboard usage.

Edited by Alt Bass 2020-04-12 1:23 PM
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 7:04 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

@Stingraze, Lol. The GPD is pretty nice!

@Ntware, the Journada 720 is a nice device. I'd love to see it updated. As for the keyboard, the Psion 5 series weren't sticky. Mine is quite responsive and allows me to touch type rather quickly. The FN issue is an annoyance, but one I've had a few years to cope with.

@Alt Bass, that looks like a very nice in between! Thanks for sharing.
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2020-04-13 7:25 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

My ideal would be something that isn't possible yet (as far as I know); that would be something that could quickly convert from a phone-sized slab to a small laptop with touch-typeable keyboard, depending on the need, and that wouldn't be so bulky as to be unwieldy to carry in a pocket. Running android and Win 10 and all-day battery life.

No, I don't ask for much. ;-)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-04-13 8:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'll go one step further…computer on a chip implanted in your brain upon birth. Kid starts misbehaving…remotely shut him down. He's sick, run a dignostic. He's dating your daughter…firewall.

From the user side…total access to every database in the world with thought recognition…
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-09-04 5:26 PM
#
Writing Team
H/PC Elder

This is like a modern Sony Tablet P. I find it ideal if they have good haptic feedback.

Galaxy Z Fold 2
https://gizmodo.com/samsung-finally-reveals-all-the-details-about-th...

Edited by stingraze 2020-09-04 5:27 PM
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2020-09-04 7:21 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

A Jornada 820 with a magnesium alloy body, E-ink screen and rechargeable NiMH batteries.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-09-05 12:36 AM
#
Writing Team
H/PC Elder

Ah yes, E-Ink will be nice.
 Top of the page
hpc:factor« View previous thread · Handheld PC General Discussion · View next thread »

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]

Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.062 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10
Server Time now is: Monday, 26 October 2020 - 17:59