x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Your Ideal Handheld

1 2 3 4
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 5:35 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I know we've talked about this before. Some have even gone as far as trying to create their ideal handheld while others, like me, sit here and ponder the what-if's.

So, if you had the opportunity to create your ideal handheld, what would it be? Would it be a Journada with Windows 10? Or a Palm with Android? It's your imagination, so feel free to let loose.

As for me, I'm a huge fan of the Psion 5 series. But since there's a device out there that's pretty much my ideal handheld I'll go with my second favorite. I'd love to see a MobilePro 900C packed with a modern processor, screen, bluetooth and 5G networking with AC wireless. Throw in a MicroSD card and USB-C for transfer / connectivity for good measure. Would like to see it running both Windows 10 as well as Android.

Now that I think about it, something like that almost already exists. The GPD Pocket. But it just doesn't have the charm the wide MP 900 has. I guess it's a mix of nostalgia talking.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 11:12 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I'd say a Japanese made GPD Pocket.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 12:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Although the Gemini seems to be the perfect handheld, I still think my perfect device is a Jornada with a new screen, new CPU, running Linux. I never had a Psion 5, so I don’t know if this is a legacy issue or is just a bad implementation from Planet Computers, but my J720 keyboard feels so much better than my Gemini’s. Gemini’s keys are a bit “sticky” so you need to press more firmly for them to register, which means less typing speed. Also, even though the jornada keys are a bit smaller, I like the keyboard layout a lot better. Having to press combinations of Fn keys to type many common characters such as : ; “ and ‘ is a bit frustrating. I can’t even type a single sentence in English without using the Fn key at least once (mostly due to ‘ in I’m or can’t or don’t for example). I can say that my typing speed on the jornada is about 95% of my laptop’s keyboard and on the Gemini it drops to something like 70-75%, not to mention that I make a lot lesser mistakes on the jornada because it’s keys aren’t so sticky and register easily.

So yeah, a retrofitted Jornada 728 would just be perfect. Make it a bit slimmer, replace the screen with a very nice hi-dpi IPS screen, and add a multi-core ARM CPU and I’m good
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 1:21 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

One Netbook oneMix seems to be a good approximation of my ideal handheld but there are several things I would definitely like to see changed:
- fan cooling is totally unnecessary, almost like a scam. I learned that after I opened mine: it has no thermal paste on the CPU and there is even a bump of a compound near the cpu preventing close contact with cold plate. With those mistakes present the CPU was boosting to higher than base clock in Cinebench R15 multithreaded
- I would definitely like body made from some composite materials like glass fibre instead of aluminium. Keyboard base plate made from steel is not optimal too
- I would definitely like less compromised keyboard - it should be a tad bit smaller and/or wider but with more uniform key sizes, number keys feel too small
- there should be more software optimised for touch+keyboard usage.

Edited by Alt Bass 2020-04-12 1:23 PM
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 7:04 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

@Stingraze, Lol. The GPD is pretty nice!

@Ntware, the Journada 720 is a nice device. I'd love to see it updated. As for the keyboard, the Psion 5 series weren't sticky. Mine is quite responsive and allows me to touch type rather quickly. The FN issue is an annoyance, but one I've had a few years to cope with.

@Alt Bass, that looks like a very nice in between! Thanks for sharing.
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2020-04-13 7:25 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

My ideal would be something that isn't possible yet (as far as I know); that would be something that could quickly convert from a phone-sized slab to a small laptop with touch-typeable keyboard, depending on the need, and that wouldn't be so bulky as to be unwieldy to carry in a pocket. Running android and Win 10 and all-day battery life.

No, I don't ask for much. ;-)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-04-13 8:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'll go one step further…computer on a chip implanted in your brain upon birth. Kid starts misbehaving…remotely shut him down. He's sick, run a dignostic. He's dating your daughter…firewall.

From the user side…total access to every database in the world with thought recognition…
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-09-04 5:26 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

This is like a modern Sony Tablet P. I find it ideal if they have good haptic feedback.

Galaxy Z Fold 2
https://gizmodo.com/samsung-finally-reveals-all-the-details-about-th...

Edited by stingraze 2020-09-04 5:27 PM
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2020-09-04 7:21 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

A Jornada 820 with a magnesium alloy body, E-ink screen and rechargeable NiMH batteries.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-09-05 12:36 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Ah yes, E-Ink will be nice.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2023-09-13 2:48 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Also, my damn thing which I praised, died because of absence of thermal compound on the CPU.
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2023-09-13 8:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I hoped those Xscale processors would throttle or shut down at Tcase=85*C nominal, or 100*C extended. I suppose Tcase is calcuated at the heat spreader. FYI - TS, max storage temp, is 125*C.

But even running modern laptops/desktops without a heatspreader can kill the CPUs in a few seconds, so the thermal protection is not foolproof, particularly when running without any thermal protection.

Perhaps those with older devices which utilise thermal paste, consider removing the old thermal paste and reapply newer thermal paste. Liquid metal is a bit dangerous for HPCs and don't last too long, but there are some modern retail thermal greases that have been around for a long time.

https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/227/PXA255-pdf.ph...
 Top of the page
hassilon Page Icon Posted 2023-09-14 12:56 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I'd like something like the OpenPandora (except running real Arch Linux, not Debian, and certainly not Android/Google garbage) but with the energy efficiency (2X AA lasts at least a fortnight) and ruggedness of the HP200LX. Water-resistance would be a plus. Should also come with a solar charging kit and a hand-cranked generator for the rainy season. You learn to distrust all infrastructure once you've been around for a while....

Edited by hassilon 2023-09-14 12:57 AM
 Top of the page
goldfishdev Page Icon Posted 2023-10-10 8:35 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Probably a Jornada 720 with better specs. Maybe a little bit bigger, but still enough to fit in my pocket well. Just for comfortability. Would want a newer and better touchscreen. Dual booting would be nice.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-10-21 4:20 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I asked OpenAI's DALLE 3 to design me a handheld that is like one by SONY / NEC.
It turned out pretty good. I want something like this. Maybe it has too many ports though.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2023-10-21 4:21 AM

(dalle3-sony-nec-handheldpc.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dalle3-sony-nec-handheldpc.jpg (84KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.328 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 13