x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

You're no fun, Apple!

HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 8:08 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

It's late (or early, depending on how you look at it) and my mind is in over-drive. I just watched a video on Youtube about the reiteration of the iMac when Steve Jobs came back on board. It got me to think, "where's Macintosh?".

See, the Apple (or Macintosh) that I know is unique. It's different. Both soft, and hardware. Where did those funky Apple designs go? The "iLamp", or multi-colored iBooks and iMacs? Where's the "fun" Apple? I haven't seen them for a long time now, and I'm wondering if they're gone for good. Remember the iPhone from 2007? How radically different it was from what was on the market? The same with the old iBook's and iMac's. They were PC's and phones, but weren't following the "mold". They were different.

Fast forward to the unibody Macbook. Oof, we still have it. It's just sleeker. There's nothing new, unless you consider removing IO ports new. They've turned into gray machines just like the Macintosh's / Apples that Steve Jobs wanted to get away from. Apple is just regurgitating the same old design year after year. Oh, I forgot. They're now slimmer.

Take a look at the Core 2 Duo iMac's. I'll wait. Now take a look at the 2020 iMac's. See? In over ten years, it's just gotten sleeker. Now take a look at the 2004 iMac, and now the 2001 iMac.

All the iPhones, all the iPads, all the MacBooks and iMacs are the same. They're beefier, thinner, new OS etc., but the same. Apple no longer "wows" me. I remember I used to open my iBook and see a unique OS looking at me. Now, I just see an OS that's devoid of any character. It's sleek, sure. I like it in many aspects. But it's just monotonous, like eating the same sandwich day in, and day out. This isn't just Apple, but many companies. Like Acer, look at their computers and it's hard to see what's a Windows machine VS. an actual Apple.

The only computer company that I've seen that's made me raise an eye is, get this, Microsoft. It started with their failed RT tablets that evolved into their Surface line. Now they have a whole line of various products that would make 1998's Bill Gates jaw's drop.

Sorry for the tangent.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 11:11 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Haha. nice write-up, but I just disagree that it just became slimmer.

Windows laptops are still not on par with Mac OS X laptops especially in their stableness. Sure, Microsoft doesn't make all their Windows laptops like Apple as many would say.

I'm hoping Apple will soon get their contact lens line up to wow us

Also I just found this https://youtu.be/PG7lqaCJ6yA

Edited by stingraze 2020-04-12 11:59 AM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 2:12 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I agree with every word you said HPC:Factor. They say no one is irreplaceable, but I can’t agree with that. Take a look at Apple without Steve Jobs between 1985 to 1997, it was the same thing as today. They were just “relaunching” the same products that Jobs had created when he was in there. There was no color, no creativity, no excitement. He came back to revive the company in 97 with the color iMacs which was a huge success. Not to mention the iPod in the 2000’s... I mean the men was a jerk, but he was also a visionary. I lost my interest in Apple a while ago, when they decided to overprice the already expensive Jobs and Ive’s creations. There is a very nice interview that Jony Ive did right after leaving Apple (which I can’t find the link right now but I think it was on BBC) where he explains the whole thing, about how Apple is not interested in his work anymore and wants to launch new expensive products with the least design effort possible (because new designs are expensive to manufacture)
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 7:16 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

@Stingraze, ah the 8bitguy. Thanks for the vid. Looks like an interesting project. As for Microsoft not being on the same level, I have to disagree. I've had a Surface Pro 3 and it was rock solid, even the OS. Apple now a days are having issues with updates, their keyboards, you name it. Not saying they're worse the MS, but let's not pretend Apple doesn't make their fair share of mistakes. ;P

@ntware Wow, I wasn't aware of that interview. Going to have to check that out. It's not like Apple can't deal with a couple of flops, they have 200+ billion to play around with. Just read some articles online which share the same sentiments. Looks like people are falling out of love with Apple.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 8:42 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

David Murray is great. Clever guy. Have been watching his channel for years and years.

I'm not going to touch the Apple argument. I can't stand them, that's where I'm going to leave it.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 8:53 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Same, been watching him since his iBook repair days.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-04-12 11:01 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah... I guess we better not argue about Apple much or it will go up in a flame war.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-04-13 4:16 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'm no fan boy of any OS. I'm not trying to defend one or the other, or place any hate on either. Just mentioning some observations, and personal feelings.

I even made that clear, that Apple makes some beefy machines which are "quality (for the most part)". But they've had their fair share of issues. Remember the old Nvidia chipsets that would break due to heat? (This wasn't just an Apple thing, but Apple didn't handle it right.) How about the bad Retina screens? More recently the keyboards were poorly designed. As well as some iMac's being throttled at heavy workloads.

I like Apple, I do. Let me make that clear. While they've IMO become monolithic machines like the IBM's of past, I still like them. I like the hardware, even though it's grown stale. Nothing like a Space Gray MacBook with dark mode enabled on High Sierra with a golden desert as the background. I like how Apple products work so well together, hook up an iPhone and et voila, it's recognized without any fuss. Not even Microsoft gets this right, no matter how hard they try.

Microsoft has had its issues, too. Like their Surface Book line. Remember "Freeze Gate"? Even some first generation Surface Books are now showing screen discoloration. Don't recall why this is, believe it's something to do with something going bad on the GPU. No company is perfect, but Apple set the bar high and now (again, IMO) is falling short of that bar. They set it so high, that even other manufacturers copied Apples aluminum look which is a good thing as it brought quality craftsmanship to a lot of brands, but it also saturated the market with the "same old, same old".

I just miss the Apple that reinvented themselves. That brought "cool" back to computing. Everything is beige again, or aluminum rather.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-04-13 5:11 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I see!

Well, back when I was younger, I thought Macs were out of my world / range. And they were.

They were just too expensive. And yes, they still are except for some Macbook Airs which have a good price point. I was too young to go through that era when Steve Jobs was ousted, but they were still something I wanted to have for a long time. I especially wanted to have it to have a different OS than my clunky AMD K6-II machine which seemed to not work well.

As for the Macbook Pro keyboard, yes it is an issue, although it annoyed me temporarily but fixed after some time on its own. lol.

Yeah, like you say, aluminum is the new beige.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-04-13 5:33 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I hear ya, my grandad had the Macintosh color all in one, forget its name. I loved that thing and even then, wanted one. So in 1998 with the new Blueberry iMac's came to market, I was drooling. There's still the Mac mini. I had one in 2012, loved it.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-04-13 10:37 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Have any of you watched Louis Rossmann's channel https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup ?

He makes his living off of Apple but is pretty much scathing of them. Interesting stuff though anyway if you like micro electronics an ever wondered how people who know what they're doing do what they're doing. Like The 8-bit Guy. Another recommended!

NB: Quite a lot more swearing though with Louis Rossmann.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-04-14 12:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I played with a Mac once, and of course I had to learn how to navigate all over again. I wish they hadn't given up on Newton, though - like CE (and probably Epoc too) I think it had a lot of untapped potential.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-04-14 2:02 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2020-04-13 5:37 AM

Have any of you watched Louis Rossmann's channel...

Another one I'm subscribed to. Have little understanding of what he does, but find it interesting nonetheless.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-04-14 5:10 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie...Rossman is great and is a straight shooter...he endlessly lambasts Apple for the purposefully built in sabotage of apple products. A friend spilled some coffee or wine maybe (depends on the time of day) on a Mac Air and it killed the power supply...as Rossman repeatedly points out how easy it would be for Apple to fix this insane vulnerability...cover the components in waterproof plastic film/paint for example. They want you to take it in and purchase a refurbished or upgraded model. GOONS!!!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 8