x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Browser for MobilePro 780

GardenGeek Page Icon Posted 2020-04-16 5:37 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Can someone recommend a decent browser for the MobilePro 780? My expectations are low, I just want to access Gmail.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-04-16 7:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If you just want to access GMail, then you probably want an email client. Not a browser.

The browser, i.e. Internet Explorer, allows you to read/write gmail remotely while online. In other words, all the work is being done on the Google host computers located elsewhere while you are using the browser simply as a remote viewing interface to manipulate actions remotely.

An email client allows you to do the same thing locally by making a connection with Google Gmail…then downloading/transferring the email to your Mobilepro. Then the email client lets you read, edit/write replies or new emails, then reconnects momentarily again to Gmail to send them off. All the work is done on your handheld.

The caveat however is emails with embedded graphics of some types, all with embedded animation, and many with links to some secure websites simply will not work because the limitation of these vintage machines, mainly the lack of supporting software.

nPOPuk is a pretty popular mail client for these HPCs. However you have to configure your Gmail account in your Google settings to support Pop3 mail and no email encryption.
 Top of the page
BombsAwayLeMay Page Icon Posted 2020-05-23 12:35 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Disclaimer: haven't tried this myself (yet)

An alternative for accessing your email via the web could be a web rendering proxy. You would need to set up this proxy on a device like a Raspberry Pi or a laptop and configure your MobilePro 780 to connect through the Pi. The modern web is rendered into a sort of image with links mapped onto it, so it's only adequate for accessing text material or images, I'm not sure how well video works (if at all). The upside is that you don't need a modern browser on your device and only need to configure it to use the proxy; all the installing and fudging happens on the Pi.

Here's the link to the github page for the software, I'm afraid google will be more help than myself for the rest
https://github.com/tenox7/wrp
 Top of the page
topherkus Page Icon Posted 2020-06-11 7:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

If you just want to do basic browsing do a google search for miniProxy. There are hosts all over the web. Basically strips out things and makes it work for older devices. That way it will work with the native or older browsers.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.175 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 11