x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I hate buying software sight unseen

ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 5:38 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

But I bought TextMaker and Nyditot anyway, because the one day offer won't last, and I can't test them on my Handheld PC until I get all the gear to sync properly. Hopefully I'll find both useful. I was thinking about Nyditot anyway, but wanted to check performance first. For word processing, I tend to write straight text, so the extra TextMaker features might not be that helpful, but it never hurts to have a good word processor when you're a writer (even if just a hobbyist).
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 5:48 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Textmaker is superb. I am utterly blown away by just how good it is . I would be amazed if you are disappointed.

Nyditot left a nasty taste in my mouth: I had to hard reset to get my machine working again. For some reason, rebooting with it present caused my machine to stop listening to the keyboard completely. With password protection active, this leads to a bit of a dilemma

I should try Nyditot again, but need to be brave to do so . Perhaps it was a conflict with something else on my machine, but I can't think what as no other system hacks were present.

Cheers,
Nick.
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 6:11 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I noticed on their site (after I bought) that Nyditot is not compatible with Handheld PC Pro. I know that there's a version that is (which is why I bought it), so now I'm trying to find out if I can get the older version. It'd be a real shame if I bought a product I can't even run.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 6:52 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If it turns out they cannot / will not provide you with a backdated release. SoftMaker are usually pretty good when it comes to refunding in such conditions. I doubt they'll give you a problem if you explain the accident.
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 9:33 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

chiark - 2004-11-11 5:48 AM
Nyditot left a nasty taste in my mouth: I had to hard reset to get my machine working again. For some reason, rebooting with it present caused my machine to stop listening to the keyboard completely. With password protection active, this leads to a bit of a dilemma

Thanks. Important thing to learn from this -- don't have password protection enabled.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 10:08 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

LOL, funnily enough, I've done just that
 Top of the page
9way
9way Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 2:04 PM
#
I use warez first and then buy or abandon the product. So far freeware has met all my needs except for Netfront
I would'nt pay 2 cents for most of the comMercail crap oUt there.
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 2:08 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Just got a mail back from Nyditot that when I get my registration code I can contact them and get one for the version 2 software. That's reassuring.
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 2:13 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

BTW, I want to thank HPC Factor for posting this news, and to thank my luck for making me see it, as I usually go directly to the forum, but decided today to look at the main page first. (But of course if I won't like what I bought, I'll blame HPC Factor for making me buy the stuff. )
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 2:18 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

Warez is the problem dude.

People complain about the price of software and it is because of idiots like you.

You want better commericalware? Freakin pay for it and contribute to the cause instead of ripping it off. Send them emails to voice your complaints. Don't just rip it off and complain about it.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 2:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

"You vill buy vhat ve tell you, you will do as ve say!"

You're welcome though. Thats what the community sites are here for. Us, Handheld Addict, Handheld Attitude and Handheld Underground keep an eye out.

If any developers here want to issue offers or forums users know of any offers that we don't, naturally we'd love to hear from you... erm.. .. I mean...

"You vill tell US!"

& remember folks. Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 3:22 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Clinton, read his post again - 9way basically saying that (s)he tries software, then either buys it, or abandons it. To me, that's perfectly reasonable. The problem is the emotional word "warez", which gets peoples back up immediately. Bad choice of words...

I have to admit that I agree with the sentiment that there's some software out there not worth the price put on it: however, this is normally "shareware" that really should be free, or possibly never released in the first place... (I should also say that there's some superb shareware out there!)

this does not mean that all software is free, or is justifiably free, or should be free, or that ripping someone off permanently is right!

I've used the same morally dubious, yet personally justifiable approach on things: I used a hookie photoshop for a few months until I was convinced that I wanted/needed the full version, then I bought the full legitimate application... However, most developers nowadays are enlightened enough to offer a trial with all functionality available for download. If you're confident in your product, there's nothing to hide.

Warez is a problem, for sure, and I think it's been to the great detriment of the PDA world in general. Applications that I use, I buy if there's a price on them.

Textmaker is definitely worth a lot more to me than 11.11, and I suspect it is to every member of the HPCFactor community!

Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-11-20 6:49 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

It turns out that SoftMaker only charged me for TextMaker, and didn't include NVD in the order. I downloaded the NVD demo, but it didn't install correctly, so I can't even test it. Didn't get a reply from Nyditot yet, so I'm not going to press the matter with SoftMaker. It's a pity, because it's a useful utility, considering the swivel display of the Izzi Pro.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-21 3:40 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

9way, I don't believe that this forum does, but many log ip addresses! So it would never be a good idea to admit to anything like that on forums. There may also be the risk of getting the forum itself in trouble...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 12