x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Call for submissions: Handheld PC dev resources

1 2
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-05-04 10:32 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I've been meaning to do this for a while, but now I finally made a start, here's my plan:

Create a curated list of Handheld PC development resources, anything from tutorials, compilers, documentation, etc to help people get into developing for Handheld PCs!

Thanks to C:Amie for creating a HPC:Factor organization on GitHub, where this will be hosted! The idea is that the repository there is a collection of links, and tutorials and files are still hosted over here!
There are lots of obvious things missing there, I'll add them as soon as possible, is anyone feels like helping with that, any help is welcome!

https://github.com/HPC-Factor/hpc-development-resources

As you can see, this list is in a very sorry state, so while I will add things whenever I have time, please by all means let me know what to add!

Edited by Karpour 2020-05-04 10:44 PM
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-05-04 10:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

A big thank you goes to battlecoder, who uploaded a bunch of his great old software to GitHub after I asked him nicely

https://github.com/battlecoder/ancient_hpc_stuff
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-05-05 12:19 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Kinda new to GitHub fork, pull and stuff (although I started GitHub since like 2013), I edited a bit. Will be editing time to time.
-stingraze
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-05-05 2:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Thank you! I also reached out to cmonex!
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2020-05-05 2:52 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Karpour - 2020-05-05 1:32 AM

help people get into developing for Handheld PCs!

In all honesty you will help people by discouraging programming for Windows CE and suggest targeting Linux instead.

Edited by Alt Bass 2020-05-05 2:52 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-05-05 3:49 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

battlecoder is known here as ShadowMaster. He came up with some great stuff to increase the potential of our H/PCs.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-05-06 2:27 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Karpour - 2020-05-05 11:40 PM

Thank you! I also reached out to cmonex!

Cool!
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2020-05-06 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2020-05-05 10:49 AM

battlecoder is known here as ShadowMaster. He came up with some great stuff to increase the potential of our H/PCs.

That's quite flattering, thanks. I quite enjoyed writing software for handheld devices, though it's been a while since the last time I did anything for them.
It's great to see you still around.

Thanks to the help of C:Amie, and the forbidden summon ceremony performed by Karpour, I'm back.
I can't promise to be an active member again, sadly, but I'm looking forward to contribute once more to this community in whatever capacity I can.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-05-06 5:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ShadowMaster - 2020-05-06 5:23 PM

That's quite flattering, thanks. I quite enjoyed writing software for handheld devices, though it's been a while since the last time I did anything for them.

Thanks to the help of C:Amie, and the forbidden summon ceremony performed by Karpour, I'm back.
I can't promise to be an active member again, sadly, but I'm looking forward to contribute once more to this community in whatever capacity I can.
Oh that's why your email address was so dark, Karpour summoned you from beyond the grave!

Welcome back!
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2020-05-06 5:43 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2020-05-06 12:26 PM

ShadowMaster - 2020-05-06 5:23 PM

Oh that's why your email address was so dark, Karpour summoned you from beyond the grave!

Welcome back!

Hey! We don't talk about my old email address in public! Haha, but yeah, if my old nickname doesn't say it loud enough, I was definitely an edgy kid.
And of course you can't bring back an edgy kid 12 years from his last known appearance, without some kind of black magic
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-05-06 10:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

ShadowMaster - 2020-05-06 9:23 AM

If you only knew how many times I've used WinWatch.
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2020-05-07 3:34 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2020-05-06 5:46 PM

If you only knew how many times I've used WinWatch.

I'm glad to hear it's been useful. I've seen Winwatch being included and mentioned in many HPC collections, sites, forums, etc and that really makes me happy. I will try to get my hands on a handheld device again, so hopefully I can keep contributing to the WinCE community a bit more. I love handheld computers, and I definitely regret selling my beloved Jornada 728 more than 10 years ago.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-05-07 9:15 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

It should be possible to get your hands on a J720

I noticed a period of a few years where people were like "Jornada 720s are vintage, so I'll just list it for 200$", but I think by now people realized that there's not much demand

By the way, I updated the list a bit!

Everyone, please help out by:

* Posting links to include in the list
* Uploading software to GitHub
* Writing guides
* Poking people who might be able to contribute
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2020-05-08 4:58 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Karpour - 2020-05-07 4:15 PM

I noticed a period of a few years where people were like "Jornada 720s are vintage, so I'll just list it for 200$", but I think by now people realized that there's not much demand

Apparently most of them are still listing them for $200 (plus shipping).
Anyway, the list is looking great! I'll do my best to contribute with a tutorial or something (although there's a lot of things I need to re-learn first, so may take me a while).
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-05-08 8:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Oh wow, eBay isn't looking great right now indeed. Though the 200$+ ones never sell anyway.. I just picked up one for 40$ in January when I was over in the states, so sometimes people still list them with reasonable prices

ShadowMaster - 2020-05-08 11:58 AM

Karpour - 2020-05-07 4:15 PM

Apparently most of them are still listing them for $200 (plus shipping).
Anyway, the list is looking great! I'll do my best to contribute with a tutorial or something (although there's a lot of things I need to re-learn first, so may take me a while).
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11