x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

DFE-670TXD on HP Jornada 690 - Can't make it work!

1 2
rafaelduran Page Icon Posted 2020-05-08 4:36 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello everyone!

This is my first post in the forum, but I've been lurking around here for some time (actually since I got my HP Jornada 690).

As I am from Brazil (and 16-bit PCMCIA cards are uncommon here), I tried for some time to find a HPC/Pro LAN/WLAN compatible card, and after some time I found a D-Link DFE-670TXD. It's a 16-bit Ethernet card, and the compatibility list says it works with HPC/Pro.

The thing is, when I plug the card into the Jornada, the lights go on, I can see activity between the machine and the card but it never connects. I tried to configure a static ip but the outcome is the same. Also tried the SBM NE2000 driver, but it didn't work either.

I can't find any drivers for the card besides the desktop OS ones, and I don't know what else I can do? Can you guys give me any advice?

Thanks in advance!
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2020-05-08 12:38 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

If it is recognized by NE2000 driver (if you see the network icon in tray) and it is not transferring any info then it's reasonable to expect that it is malfunctioning.

However, there is one more technicality: the type of cord. IIRC, not all network chips are able to detect the type of cord.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
If this chip does not support cord detection and the cord is of wrong type (straight instead of crossover) the link won't function.

BTW, this card has IC named DL10022A in it FYI.
https://forum.dlink.ru/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48672

Edited by Alt Bass 2020-05-08 12:48 PM
 Top of the page
rafaelduran Page Icon Posted 2020-05-08 7:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Alt Bass - 2020-05-08 8:38 AM

If it is recognized by NE2000 driver (if you see the network icon in tray) and it is not transferring any info then it's reasonable to expect that it is malfunctioning.

However, there is one more technicality: the type of cord. IIRC, not all network chips are able to detect the type of cord.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
If this chip does not support cord detection and the cord is of wrong type (straight instead of crossover) the link won't function.

BTW, this card has IC named DL10022A in it FYI.
https://forum.dlink.ru/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48672

Oh, now that you said, there isn't a network icon in tray, that's weird... But about the cord, I only used one for testing on the routers, I didn't think that the problem could be the cord. After I leave work I'll try with another ones and update here!

BTW, about the IC, could I possibly find a driver for the card based on it?
 Top of the page
rafaelduran Page Icon Posted 2020-05-09 3:37 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

So, I tried with some other cords I have here, but I didn't have any success. The Jornada tells me it can't connect to the DHCP server, I can't get an IP, thus I can't connect anywhere.

Maybe my house's router could be too modern? Just thinking about what could be the problem here, because I'm feeling I'm getting into a dead end.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2020-05-09 7:13 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I saw network icon in tray on my Sigmarion but it could be different on Jornada. In any case the adapter should be listed in network connections. Is it?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-05-09 9:24 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CE 3 and lower does not have a network lights indicator.

Have you been through https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0051.asp ?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2020-05-09 12:42 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

This is an Ethernet card, Amie.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-05-09 1:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sure, some of the tips like vxUtil still apply
 Top of the page
rafaelduran Page Icon Posted 2020-05-10 6:05 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

C:Amie - 2020-05-09 5:24 AM

Have you been through https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0051.asp ?

Yes, I tried using vxUtil to diagnose what's happening, and well, what I discovered:

• When I try to ping an address, it fails, but the indicator light on the card blinks, so there's some kind of communication between the Jornada and the card

• The Jornada isn't talking to the router, since it's not appearing at the connected devices list

• Static IP or dynamic, it doesn't matter, the outcome is the same.

It really seems to me that the default NE2000 driver can't talk properly with the card. I'd like to have a PC/laptop with a PCMCIA slot so I can test the card and see if the problem is with the Jornada or the card per se.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2020-05-10 1:44 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

rafaelduran - 2020-05-09 6:37 AM

So, I tried with some other cords I have here, but I didn't have any success.
Did you verify that those are crossover cables?
 Top of the page
rafaelduran Page Icon Posted 2020-05-10 6:25 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

No, I didn't. I don't think they are though, since they are all generic cables I got with time as they came with the routers I bought. Does it need to be?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2020-05-10 6:53 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

If you want to check my hypothesis - yes.
 Top of the page
rafaelduran Page Icon Posted 2020-05-12 2:49 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I sure do!
I checked and the cable I'm using to connect the Jornada to the router is a crossover one. I'm surprised, since this cable just came with the router when I bought it, as I said earlier.

BTW, one thing I noted just now is that my Windows CE 2.11 isn't updated to the latest version, with the service pack. I downloaded the updater, but unfortunately as I still don't have a sync cable (waiting for it to arrive from Germany), I can't check this right now.

Edited by rafaelduran 2020-05-12 2:57 AM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2020-05-12 7:43 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Try connecting Jornada to PC with this cable, set compatible static IPs on both sides.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-05-12 9:57 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

rafaelduran - 2020-05-12 11:49 AM
I checked and the cable I'm using to connect the Jornada to the router is a crossover one

To my knowledge, the older cards (which is NE2000) need to use straight cables when connecting to the routers to get IP address from DHCP of the router.
I think the AutoMDI/MDI-X came at a later era.

Edited by stingraze 2020-05-12 10:00 AM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 55 - Executed queries : 26