x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help with MP900 ROM upgrade

joval Page Icon Posted 2020-05-15 9:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Rich, CEGeek, C:Amie...or any of you HPCFactor Gurus...

I recently acquired several MP900's and each seems to have a different bootloader version and firmware. I have a few MP900c's that I upgraded with CMonex's v2.0 flash rom, starting with the required 4.10 bootloader and working fine and I would like to upgrade my recent acquisitions.

So...how do I get to the proper bootloader upgrade files to upgrade following:

1. MP900 running CE.Net 4.2
firmware P530_42 1.8.5
===> Bootloader 4.5.1_6 (how do I upgrade to 4.10? )

2.MP900 running Handheld PC 2000
firmware P530 v 5.5
===> Bootloader 3.2 (how do I upgrade to 4.10? )

Also, is there a way to downgrade to HPC 2000 / reverse the upgrade?

Muchas gracias ! Puedes ayudarme?

Edited by joval 2020-05-15 9:03 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-05-15 9:34 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Joval,

You can pull t he ROMs and boot loader from H/PC:Update or https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/details.asp?r={AE003AC7-9620-469...

Once you have the 4.10 BL, you can use the HPC2000 ROM in H/PC:Update to go down to CE3 again.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-05-16 12:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie,

Many thanks! To you and this great site! Please take a bow! I had never noticed that 3rd column on the download page referring to rom upgrades in the 12 years I've been lurking on this site ...I had never ventured into...very straight foward once you point it out, indeed.

I have a file gwes.exe.0409.mui from the former Cmonex site that is supposed to allow a usb mouse function with her ROM..are you aware of how it is to be installed. (If you don't have a copy of it I can provide it).

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-05-20 9:41 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Joval,

Usually you put the MUI next to the original.exe

I think you might need to add
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\MUI] 
"SysLang"=dword:00000409 
"Enable"=dword:0000001
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-05-20 10:21 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie,

Thanks...yes, now I remember seeing a post here about the repository. I am very happy to have converted several MP900's to the CMonex custom ROM. It was a learning experience.

One valuable trick is learning about the C+F key boot up option...very important and it should be included in your upgrade download area. On more than one occasion when trying to upgrade or download from within winCE on boot up the screen was white and locked up...quite disconcerting...thought I bricked it. I did see a reference on the repository mentioning the C+F option...but without details. I figured it out/ recalling from the past when her site was up.

Basically, remove the batteries, unplug the ac power, place the Upgrade CF card in the cf card slot....then hold down the C and F keys at the same time (C+F) and plug in the ac power. In a few sections it will boot up and the top of the screen will print out that the Bootloader is upgrading, copying files, flashing and then that is followed by the ROM being copied and flashed. After 6 minutes or so it automatically reboots into the new ROM! What a life saver knowing about this option.

Regarding the mouse file...the CMonex readme file says just to place the gwes.exe.0409.mui file in the windows directory...and that seems to work...as the mouse courser appears on reboot.

I have more tricks to list later. Overall, I am so pleased with the upgrade and all I learned!!! I downloaded the rom kitchen (that Rich covered in detail on his old website) and may try building my own...kinda exciting. Thanks zillions!

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-05-20 10:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I thought we had one, but I don't see it: fancy writing a formal document for the support section on how to do it? With any tips and tricks that you care to add.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-05-20 11:00 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Will do, honored!
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-05-20 11:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Is the advantage of CMonex custom ROM that it has more current versions of programs than the stock ROM or does it give you other programs or features?

Thanks,

Mark
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-05-21 1:05 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Many advantages… adds PocketWord to CE.Net, has wifi card drivers built into the OS for Cisco, Prism reference drivers, has several utilities, reg editors,etc.

I like custom ROMS and use one that has my 802.11G wifi card, TextMaker, Opera Mini and several other games and utilities I like built in so that if I hard reset I don't have to reinstall anything.

Of course non-volitile flash ROM memory has pretty much eliminated the need for custom ROMs in newer CE devices.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-05-21 2:05 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

THANKS, for the info, Rich!

Very helpful.

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 8