x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Connecting to a modern linux system using the CE1.0+ terminal emulator

Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-05-23 7:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

So I fiddles around a bit with a USB-to-Serial cable, VirtualBox and a Debian install and.. it works!

The COM port is forwarded to the VirtualBox VM in the VM settings, and all that needs to be done in the VM is:

/sbin/agetty -h 115200 ttyS0 vt100

(replace ttyS0 with the appropriate device)

On the Handheld PC, just start the Terminal program, make a new connection, set dialing to manual, baudrate to 115200 and emulation to VT100, and voila, you're in

Only issue I'm having is that sometimes the linefeed is jerky, not sure if that's because agetty is wrongly emulating vt100 or Windows CE is interpreting it wrong.

(EYuLSaOXYAAY7KI.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments EYuLSaOXYAAY7KI.jpg (51KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2020-05-23 7:18 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Nice!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-05-23 8:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I always had stability problems with the 320 and 115200 on CE 1. Might be worth dialling it down.

Could I convince you to write a proper guide and explain how a newbie can replicate this, plus what you can do with it?
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-05-23 9:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Can absolutely do that! It's very easy to replicate

Let me know how you'd like to get it.

And thanks for the hint about 115200. I'll try 57600, maybe that'll help with the jerkyness of it!

In the meantime, I'm trying around with getting internet over SLIP to work via SLIRP
Connecting to the internet sure was an adventure in the 90s!

Edited by Karpour 2020-05-23 9:21 PM
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-05-24 7:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Ok, BAUD rate doesn't seem to be the issue. What seems to be the problem is that the linux box is sending wrong control sequences which aren't VT100-conform, probably because modern programs ignore the vt100 TERM environment variable?

I'll check it out. I tried sniffing the serial communication with Portmon: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/portmon
But sadly it seems this tool doesn't work anymore under Windows 10, so I'll have to find another way to sniff the traffic and see what's going on
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-05-24 10:39 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I seem to recall t hat with CE1 H/PC Explorer was unusable at over 19,200bps.What you say doesn't surprise me though.

If you want to write something for the support section, zip it up and I'll drop you an upload code?
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-05-24 11:12 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I think first I should figure out what is causing the cursor to be in the wrong place.. for example when typing a backspace in bash, the cursor jumps very far to the right rather than one to the left, and things like nano or vim are completely unusable this way.

I'll check for a solution on that once I have some time, sadly tomorrow it's monday again..
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-05-25 1:35 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

nice! I like the look of the green HP 320LX too!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-05-25 9:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Karpour - 2020-05-24 11:12 PM

I think first I should figure out what is causing the cursor to be in the wrong place.. for example when typing a backspace in bash, the cursor jumps very far to the right rather than one to the left, and things like nano or vim are completely unusable this way.

I'll check for a solution on that once I have some time, sadly tomorrow it's monday again..
It's a bank holiday in the UK. So it's all good
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-05-25 3:34 PM
#
H/PC Elite

This gives me cool ideas about using an ESP8266 to connect to Linux systems wirelessly. Perhaps with the ESP32 it might even be possible to handle SSH internally and then convert it back to serial VT100 for the HPC
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-05-27 12:06 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Welp, I tried the same thing with my Jornada 720, but somehow that completely doesn't work. I get as far as the login prompt, but something breaks after that. This definitely needs some digging, but someone I chatted with told me that the built-in terminal emulators in Windows CE are not great, that probably explains why there were many paid alternatives.
 Top of the page
GaryLee Page Icon Posted 2020-09-21 3:44 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Newer Linux distros default to xterm as the terminal type
make sure Linux has ncurses installed
after you login to Linux, type in this command
"TERM=vt100; export TERM"
this will enable vt100 cursor control for the login session
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11