x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can You Use WinCE 3.0 Programs on WinCE 4.x Device?

ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-05-29 4:35 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi,

Like subject says, is it possible to install and run WinCE 3.0 programs on a 4.x device?

If so, what is involved?

Thanks,

Mark
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-05-29 5:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, absolutely. They have to either be compiled for the same CPU architecture or be Thumb code (e.g. CEF or .net Framework). They'll basically just work, with a few exceptions that will require you to provide missing dependant library files first e.g. .net Framework or the VBCE Runtime.

If you're testing things in the SCL and find that they work, please to use the compatibility reporting systems in the SCL!
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-05-29 5:28 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks....

To be clear, I don't have any WinCE devices at this time. I used to some years ago.

So, not able to do any testing now.

I was asking as I want to know IF I get a 4.x device, whether some of the older programs will install and run.

Several programs I would ideally like to use if I get a 4.x device were released many years ago as 3.0 programs.

So, I would guess that it would be highly unlikely to get a developer to re-compile their old programs as 4.x compatible programs or that they would be Thumb code.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thanks.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-05-29 6:31 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You don't need to as long as they were compiled for the same architecture. ARM for 2.10 will run on ARM CE 6.0 R3 and everything in between. SH3 for CE 1.00 will run on SH3 for CE 4.2, the same with MIPS.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-05-29 7:19 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

THANK YOU for clarifying.....sounds good....

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-05-29 11:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Just to make sure I'm making correct assumptions...

Would programs that run on an ARM SA-1110 device also run on an XScale PXA255 device?

Think the XScale PXA255 chip is an Intel ARM chip....

Thanks.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-05-30 7:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, a lot of folks playing with ARM CE 6 devices found a lot of ARM CE 3 programs handy when they couldn't find many ARM CE 6 programs. And as I mentioned in another thread, I have two MIPS CE 5 devices that can run MIPS apps all the way back to CE 1.

As for StrongARM apps running on X-Scale devices, yes, in general they will work. (Yes, the PXA-2XX was built on ARM architecture.) But the other way around, no. cmonex had a converter that changed the processor ID on apps from C2 01 (thumb) to C0 01 (standard ARM), and some of these programs would then work in SA-1110 devices.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-05-30 10:06 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for the info!

Got it now....

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9