x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Found: Driver for USB-to-Serial adapters

Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-06-05 9:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Found this while digging through japanese sites in the wayback machine!

A driver for FTDI and PL2303 usb-to-serial adapters. The chips are still being used nowadays, for example on Arduinos and ESP modules, and most adapters you can buy are also compatible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9zhuslkgzjiy0e/232usb060727.zip?dl=0

I translated the readme using google translate. It is compatible with CE2.11 and up.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-06-05 11:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Does it actually work?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-06-06 1:14 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Are you saying that it is a Windows CE driver that I could use on my 900 USB port to give me a working serial port?

I mean…okay I guess except I already have a serial cable for my 900.

And I've been using both the PL2303 and PL2302 USB to serial adapters for synching to a USB only desktop computer for years now…
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-06-06 1:16 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I sadly just broke the lid of my only Jornada 820 I have here, so until I fix that I can't really use it :/
But I'll try the driver when I have the chance.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-06-06 1:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2020-06-05 8:14 PM

Are you saying that it is a Windows CE driver that I could use on my 900 USB port to give me a working serial port?

I mean…okay I guess except I already have a serial cable for my 900.

And I've been using both the PL2303 and PL2302 USB to serial adapters for synching to a USB only desktop computer for years now…

This would be more interesting for connecting devices that have a built-in FTDI or PL2303, like Arduinos and most other microcontroller boards. You could also get an ESP dev board in a usb-stick format and plug it right into a CE machine, of course would need to confirm that the driver works with the chip revisions. It could be that newer revisions of an FTDI have a different ID and the driver won't accept it.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2020-06-06 2:10 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

It seems possible it works.

1. Unzipped the contents to Sylvania Synet.
2. Copied the dll to \Windows
3. Plugged in a Prolific USB serial cable and no prompt asked me about driver name
4. Unplugged the usb-ser cable
5. Ran the exe
6. Clicked New
7. Plugged in serial
8. Clicked Ok on the modal that was launched from new
9. A new item was populated in the dropbox
10. Went to network connections
11. Created a new connection of type Direct
12. Observed the same PL2303HXD basic,213 (might have some misremembering here) was a selection choice
13. Set it up with the typical speed, parity, etc
14. Went to windows XP with a USB serial adapter in place
15. Opened hyperterminal and matched the speed, parity, etc
16. Let Windows run hyperterminal
17. Connected these two serial links with a null modem and gender changer between them
18. Failed the network connection to hyperterminal. it's probably trying some TCP stuff
19. Tried putty on the netbook and entering the exact serial adapter name and the matching speed, parity, etc
20. Failed the connection also

Edited by smb_gaiden 2020-06-06 2:12 AM
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2020-06-12 3:09 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Here are some screenshots. Took a while because, well, have a story for that.

My ScrnGrab screenshots weren't working on the Sylvania SYNET device No Activesync, so had to debug through analysis and printf. Turns out there was a palette setting that was buried inside a check on a 16bit color depth display. Needed to be in the wider block for any device > 8bit color depth. This SYNET is 32bits. After that was solved screenshotting with ScrnGrab worked.

Then I needed a way to get the screenshot off the SYNET. Somehow having it joined WORKGROUP would not allow network file shares. That's how I usually get files off CE devices. Again, no Activesync, so needed another way. Oh good, I wrote a small utility to transfer programs from my phone to my computer. Port that! Oh shoot, windows ce doesn't have argc and argv. Wince 2.1 doesn't have CommandLineToArgV, so I had to write it. Wrote it, what a tricky function. Now I can send the files from SYNET to laptop and present you with these two screens matching the description written earlier on this thread.

(232usb_1.png)

(232usb_2.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 232usb_1.png (21KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 232usb_2.png (23KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-06-12 10:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

smb_gaiden - 2020-06-12 3:09 AM
My ScrnGrab screenshots weren't working on the Sylvania SYNET device No Activesync, so had to debug through analysis and printf. Turns out there was a palette setting that was buried inside a check on a 16bit color depth display. Needed to be in the wider block for any device > 8bit color depth. This SYNET is 32bits. After that was solved screenshotting with ScrnGrab worked.
How the hell did you manage to work that out?!
Do you want me to host the mod in somewhere?

Then I needed a way to get the screenshot off the SYNET. Somehow having it joined WORKGROUP would not allow network file shares. That's how I usually get files off CE devices. Again, no Activesync, so needed another way. Oh good, I wrote a small utility to transfer programs from my phone to my computer. Port that! Oh shoot, windows ce doesn't have argc and argv. Wince 2.1 doesn't have CommandLineToArgV, so I had to write it.
Sounds like a great candidate for the GitHub repository!

Would you happen to have a make/model for your USB RS232 adapter? I'll add it to the SCL with the driver.

Nice work

Edit: Now added to the
HCL: https://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/detail.asp?hcdid=790
DLC: https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/details.asp?r={FB34EF61-40D1-4D0...
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2020-06-12 9:41 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2020-06-12 2:04 AM

How the hell did you manage to work that out?!
Do you want me to host the mod in somewhere?

Sure, if you like, thank you. The version is 1.0.2 and the download link is here http://www.wanderinghuman.com/ScrnGrab/

Worked it out through source code analysis and then some arbitrary MessageBox() functions at certain branches to be sure which path the code went down. Removed the MessageBox() calls to cut the build properly.

C:Amie - 2020-06-12 2:04 AM
Then I needed a way to get the screenshot off the SYNET. Somehow having it joined WORKGROUP would not allow network file shares. That's how I usually get files off CE devices. Again, no Activesync, so needed another way. Oh good, I wrote a small utility to transfer programs from my phone to my computer. Port that! Oh shoot, windows ce doesn't have argc and argv. Wince 2.1 doesn't have CommandLineToArgV, so I had to write it.
Sounds like a great candidate for the GitHub repository!

Would you happen to have a make/model for your USB RS232 adapter? I'll add it to the SCL with the driver.

Nice work

Edit: Now added to the
HCL: https://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/detail.asp?hcdid=790
DLC: https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/details.asp?r={FB34EF61-40D1-4D0...

The one used was a generic with a Prolific chip. Don't think I have an FTDI-based to test with. Will check.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2020-06-13 1:17 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Did the same with a Keyspan USA-19HS and it seems to go well also.

(232usb_3.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 232usb_3.png (21KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-06-13 8:24 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Oh! You have the source code! Doh! I completely forgot you were wandering human I thought you'd hex edited the ASM or something crazy.

Added to the SCL:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/1084/Wandering_Human_Software/ScrnGrab...

Keyspan USA-19HS added to the HCL and both HCL entries credited to you (the badges should have issued).

Good stuff, thanks.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10