x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Hi, new HP 620LX owner here

Jeff_Birt Page Icon Posted 2020-06-30 2:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi all,

Years ago I owned a couple of Philips Velo 1s and thought they were great. While limited they were very useful. I sold them when I got my first Windows mobile phone with a slide out keyboard, which was also a good device.

I just acquired a HP-620LX and whilst looking for information about compatible PCMCIA WiFi cards I found the HPCFACTOR website. I have read though the first few parts on the history of WIN CE and learned enough to discover what OS was running on my device and then search the compatibility list for a suitable card. The information is much appreciated.

Now I'll do some more reading to find out how to install/use some syncing software and the move on to finding a suitable WiFi card (it came with a Fax/Modem card).
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-06-30 7:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Welcome! Do keep in mind that at best, your wifi card will only do WEP security, so that will present significant security challenges to to your present router setup (which, I presume, is WPK or higher). Some folks here have a separate router set up for WEP; others, like myself, use a wifi extender plugged into the wall and run a compatible ethernet cable/card from the extender into the h/pc. Prolly most here don't use wifi at all, given the hassle and the serious limitations of CE's browser.

But email will work, if you can get on-line, and from there, you can use an rss-to-email service if you feel like keeping up with the world that way.

And you can certainly do home networking through the wondrous Total Commander.

Again, welcome here,
Jake
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-07-01 12:34 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Welcome, and congrats on the new handheld! As Jake said, WEP security is basically what you're stuck with unfortunately. As for moving files "syncing" I only use flash drives as setting up sync like "the old days" is now a hassle I can live without. I don't browse the net with my handhelds anymore, unless it's just to read a very simple website. As for email, I use nPOPuk which is a fantastic email client for our handhelds.

Hope you enjoy the forums, and again, welcome!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-07-01 4:32 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Welcome to the forum!

There will be many experienced users from all around the world to answer your questions etc., so post often! :-)

-stingraze
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9