x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Command Prompt on WinCE 6

Shiunbird Page Icon Posted 2020-08-19 4:16 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello everyone!

I'm sorry I haven't been very active - I'm short on time.
For now, my collection is done. I have covered Windows CE 2, 3, 5 and 6.

I started writing a text-only application for GPS tracking (generating waypoint files that I can open on Google Earth).
I have an app in my iPhone that works well, but it has two big flaws:

- Google Analytics can't be disabled (puke).
- You can create waypoints every certain number of meters, but not every certain number of minutes. (why?)

So I started pulling together a GPS tracking app that I can use via Bluetooth/Serial or PCMCIA GPS that runs in the command prompt.
I wanted to start testing on my windows CE 6 device (easier to write to - I am by no means a programmer) and GASP, where's cmd.exe?

The Windows folder has a ping.exe application that I can run, but I can't see the output because there's no command prompt. I haven't checked my Windows CE 5 device yet (I don't have how to power it on - it's a thinclient and I don't own a VGA monitor).

Any ideas? Is the command prompt present? Should I just copy it over from v3 without breaking anything?

Thanks, as always!

PS: I will share the app and source code once done, of course. =)
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2020-08-19 5:06 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-08-20 6:31 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Try these. I pulled them from a Via CE 6 ROM flash package.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cmd.exe (68KB - 20 downloads)
Attachments console.dll (38KB - 20 downloads)
 Top of the page
Shiunbird Page Icon Posted 2020-08-20 10:06 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you both.

From the ROM package, I get nothing.
With the mortscript, I think the link is dead. I can't get ever to download it, and this is a key pre-requisite. Does anyone have the package around?

The funny thing is that my installation contains tons of command line utilities but no way to display them. =)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-08-20 10:49 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sounds like the ROM compiler pulled the bin out for the command shell. You should be able to put them back in, you might need to regsrv some bits though.
 Top of the page
Shiunbird Page Icon Posted 2020-08-21 9:11 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Cool, thanks!
I will do some digging during the weekend and report back.

Fun fact: if I execute ping -t from the run window, it seems to be running but without any UI feedback (by the way the network port blinks). I will check my logs or run a quick pcap to confirm.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-08-21 1:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is no reason why it wouldn't, cmd is just the receptacle for stdOut. The network stack is still there, if the pointer to stdOut is null, it just skips the action.

You'll find that many system services work in exactly this way. If you attach a console to it you can see what the service is up to for debugging purposes. Otherwise they run silently.
 Top of the page
GaryLee Page Icon Posted 2020-08-25 12:14 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Have you tried
[start] -> [Run] and typing "cmd" in the run box, I have a little Chinese net book that runs winCE 6 and this works on it.
Also you may be able to run your app as an HTA. (HTml Application.) HTA's use html as a wrapper that uses jscript or vbscript to call system functions. The runtime program is mshta.exe,
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-08-25 8:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You'd have to have cmd.exe in \Windows for that 'Run' command to work, and it'd be basically the same as double-clicking on cmd.exe directly.
 Top of the page
Shiunbird Page Icon Posted 2020-08-25 8:58 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Gary, thank you.
There's no cmd at all in the file system, so typing it there doesn't work I've tried.

I'd rather have a text-mode app because I'm targeting different versions so the lowest common denominator is paramount.
 Top of the page
GaryLee Page Icon Posted 2020-08-25 5:42 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

What I've seen of Windows CE over the years is that it is consistently inconsistent.

The same windows CE version, gen'd for different devices will have differences in the available of components.
Currently I am looking at end user development on two Windows CE devices: A Sylvania Smartbook with Windows CE 6.0 and a Vadem Clio 1050 (CE 2.11)
The CE 6 device has mshta.exe, cmd.exe, dllhost.exe and shell.exe
The Clio has cmd.exe,and dllhost

The only consistently available runtime across CE platforms appears to vbscript in internet explorer. You can use vbscript to create a container object that runs an executable and displays the result in an updatable web control.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-08-25 7:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's down to what the dev added to the Platform Builder image. There wasn't a consistent image requirement after HPC2000.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 12