x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Question: Textmaker 2002 for HP Jornada 680

Jornadatime Page Icon Posted 2020-08-29 2:52 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Dear everyone,

My name is Fabian, I'm new to this forum as same as to the handheld PC world. I recently purchased a Jornada 680, wich I love so far.

Since I did read helpful articles on HPC Factor wich helped me out with my recent issues, I now thought maybe the following question might be placed here and waiting for a versed response:

I want to use the Jornada for writing in the main part. Since the on-board MS-Pocket-Word doesn't realIy fit my needs in terms of formatting and justification, I read about "Textmaker 2002" to be a really good word processor for the unit.
I would like to ask, if there is still a way to purchase this software? I tried to contact softmaker, without luck. I also heard about the "software resource CD" to be a legal way to purchase it - is that true? But further I coudn't find any information if this CD also contains the "SH3" version which is, I think, needed for the 680.

There is also a trial-version-.cab-file from an online PC-magazine, wich I installed. But I was not able to open it, since it says by everytime, "the trial-version has expired".

Thank you very much I'm looking forward to your response

Best regards
Fabian

Edited by Jornadatime 2020-08-29 2:53 AM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-08-29 4:15 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hard reset your Jornada (remove batteries and wait for a couple seconds) and then on the initial setup, set the date back to 2003 or something around that. Then install Softmaker Office again. The trial tests for a specific time period. If you set the handheld date to 2020, it will immediately say that the trial has expired already.
 Top of the page
Jornadatime Page Icon Posted 2020-08-29 11:35 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Dear ntware,

Thank you, I'm happy about your response. I tried the set back, so far it didn't work out yet. Perhaps I miss something in the process? I tried the following proceedurs, every tryout after hard-reset:

- set date back to 2003 /.cab-installation-file located on cf-card / installed to CF-card.

-set back 2003 / .cab- file on CF / Installed on Jornadas int. Memory.

-set back 2003 / .cab-file on int. Memory / installed on int. Memory

- as strangely the properties of the .cab inst. file presenting the date of it to be January 2020 (wich may be a result of downloading inst.file on a modern pc and transfering onto the Cf?), I even tried to set the Jornadas date in to 2020, with the same "expiring" outcome.

Also I found an .EXE inst.file of the trial, given by an online PC magazine, too. It's supposed to be installed via Active-Sync while the Jornada is connected to a PC. But since I couldn't get to run a propper connection on windows 10, I wonder if there Is perhaps also somthing that I'm missing? I was also thinking about buying an old windows XP for that purpose, but perhaps there is a more easy way?

Thanks and best regards
Fabian

Edited by Jornadatime 2020-08-29 11:57 AM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-08-29 2:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Instead of buying an old pc, just use a virtual machine. There are free options like VirtualBox. A virtual machine will allow you to boot any operating system on your computer inside a window. It’s like a computer inside a computer. You can get images for old windows versions (up to 2000) on winworldpc.com. Download the image you want (I would recommend Windows NT4 or 2000) and then install it on the virtual machine. Then you can configure it the way you want, install activesync, and use it to sync with your Jornada
 Top of the page
Jornadatime Page Icon Posted 2020-08-29 3:08 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello ntware,

Thanks a lot for your help. I will look, if I can match to install the textmaker trial this way

Further I'd like to ask, if you might know anything about buying a full version of Textmaker 2002 today in 2020?

Best regards
Fabian

Edited by Jornadatime 2020-08-29 3:29 PM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-08-30 12:01 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I’ve heard that the Resource CD from usedhandhelds.com comes with a version of softmaker office. You can check with them which version it is and if it runs on the Jornada 680 (CE 2.11 SH3 processor)

In any case, I would try installing the trial first. Try the cab installer from here (HPC:Factor SCL on the downloads section). Our community try our best to keep the SCL with working versions of the software on the catalog. Just to make sure, try hard resetting your jornada and then set the date to 2002 instead of 2003 and check if that works with the cab from SCL
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-08-30 1:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Unfortunately, Softmaker no longer supports or will sell Textmaker/Planmaker for HPCs. The trial version will work for 30 days then stop. Since registry changes are made, including a unique hash code generated by each installation, about the only way to continue after the 30 days is a hard reset and reinstall.

Be sure you have the handheld's "owner" info set when installing…been too many years, but I believe it had something to do with registration. I honestly can't remember.

I ended up just using the PocketWord to hammer in the text and then converting it later on my desktop…
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-08-31 12:44 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I can confirm the same problem reported by Jornadatime. I just installed the .cab from SCL on my HP 320LX with the date set back to 2002. I had all my owner info set, but still it gave me the expired notice right after a hard reset.
 Top of the page
Jornadatime Page Icon Posted 2020-08-31 2:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for your reply and suggestions Rich Hawley

Thanks ntware, for dubblechecking the "expiring"-issue.

Perhaps it may be caused due to the refreshed file-creaton-date that happens while downloading on any modern machine? It says the file-date to be august 2020. If thats the case I thought of trying to set my modern machine also back to 2002 and then transfer it on the CF card, wich should also be formatted with this modern "set back" machine. I don't know if thats any worth a try?

Best Regards
Fabian

Edited by Jornadatime 2020-08-31 2:16 PM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-08-31 8:32 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I believe that there are simpler ways to change the date of a file depending on which OS you are. In Linux you can do that in a snap of fingers. But in any case, I highly doubt that the issue is caused by the date time stamped on the .cab file. It is more logical to believe that there might be some registry check that is missing when the program is launched. It is possible that this problem will be solved if the software gets installed through activesync instead of just dropping the .cab file over. I had a similar issue before with PCAnywhere CE, where just copying the files over wasn’t enough to get the software to work. It depended on some registry keys to function properly, and those keys were only deployed when I installed the software through activesync.
 Top of the page
Jornadatime Page Icon Posted 2020-09-05 7:13 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello ntware,

Sorry for my late response. Yes, that really sounds more logical, and I will now try the thing with the virtual box. I will report the outcome here. Thank you very much, for your help, I'm way a step further now!

Best Regards
Fabian

Edited by Jornadatime 2020-09-05 7:14 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9