x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

is buying a HP 320LX worth it?

musicalnugget Page Icon Posted 2020-09-12 10:15 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

i saved up money to buy one but i am thinking about not doing so, should i buy it or not?
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-09-12 12:45 PM
#
H/PC Elite

It depends on what you want to do with it. I personally bought one just recently in a very good shape, and I really like it. But if you’re used to WinCE 3.00 devices like the Jornada 720, the 320lx is nothing like it. It is much slower and the memory constraints are a huge deal. Even though .net was ported to WinCE 2.0, I wasn’t able to run any .net app except very simple “hello world” ones. Any other app will fail with out of memory errors. What I like about the 320lx is that it is a nice widescreen monochrome HPC. In my opinion it defines a particular generation of those devices. If you’re a collector, it is definitely worth getting one. If you just want to play around with WindowsCE I suggest you go after a Jornada 720/728 or NEC MobilePro. Those devices will definitely give you a better, smoother experience.

As a bottom line comment, what I really like to do with my 320lx is to use PCanywhere CE to connect to my Windows 2000 machine. It works very well, and allows you to use desktop-class software remotely, given that you have a proper PCMCIA WiFi card that works on the 320lx, which can be hard to find.
 Top of the page
musicalnugget Page Icon Posted 2020-09-12 9:00 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

yea, it's for collection purposes and bragging rights, i'm buying it to kind of "rebuild" my collection since i sold the old one (40+ hpcs) to buy a new house.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-09-12 9:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Wow, nice to see someone else who had a collection rivaling mine (previously only our former active member, cmonex, came close to my collection). The proceeds didn't pay for the house by themselves, did they?
 Top of the page
musicalnugget Page Icon Posted 2020-09-12 11:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

unfortunately, it wasn't the only batch of things that i had to sell. but i'm optimistic that my collection(s) will get back to shape and i will be able to flex on everyone again
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-09-13 7:43 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You were such a prolific collector and yet you're new here?
 Top of the page
musicalnugget Page Icon Posted 2020-09-13 10:19 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

i found this site when looking for a site dedicated to HPCs recently just to ask the question i asked here >.<
 Top of the page
kennytaylor661 Page Icon Posted 2020-09-17 6:47 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Do it.. My first HPC was an 320LX. Picked up the CE 2.0 ROM module as well. (mine came with CE 1.0) I eBayed the thing ~15 years ago and really wish I'd kept it.

Edited by kennytaylor661 2020-09-17 6:48 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.148 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10