x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Ethernet cards that work with Jornada 720/728?

can't remember Page Icon Posted 2020-09-17 1:04 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I want to get an Ethernet card for my 728. I can get one of the following 16 bit cards (please let me know if I made a mistake and one is not 16 bit):

Sold with the cable/dongle (or has the port built-in on the card itself):
  • 3Com 3C589D-TP EtherLink III (10mbps, unstable beta driver available according to the HCL)
  • 3Com 3C589D-COMBO EtherLink III (10mbps, will the above driver work with this?)
  • 3Com 3C562D/3C563D EtherLink III (10mbps LAN and 33.6k modem, the FAQ says the 3C589 drivers won't work with this, the manual has nice performance charts but no mention of NE2K or WinCE)
  • 3Com 3CXEM556 B Megahertz (10mbps LAN and 56k modem, compatibility is the same as the previous one)
  • Megahertz XJ10BT or XJ10BC (the back of the card specifies both (literally says or), not sure which is it, 10mbps LAN and port built-in on the card, there's an old Linux driver for this one, may be useful for JLime)
  • Unknown IBM/Dell Ethernet cards (I have the part number but don't know where to search, they are not in the HCL)
  • D-Link DE-660+ (RJ-45 port and an old BNC port, the manual says "software support includes driver programs for NE-2000 adapter," does that mean it could work?)

Sold without the cable/dongle (I may have to buy one of the list above to get a compatible dongle for these assuming that'd work):
  • Xircom CE3B-100BTX (10/100mbps, the HCL says it works)
  • Linksys EC2T (10/100mbps apparently, NE2K compatible, the HCL says it works)
  • 3Com 3C574-TX Fast EtherLink (10/100mbps)
  • Linksys PCMPC100 EtherFast (10/100mbps, manual doesn't mention NE2K or WinCE)

That's all the useful info I could find about them on the web, does anyone have more info on the ones not in the HCL? Also does anyone know if the dongles of the cards from the first list could work on some of the cards on the second list? Unfortunately the only definitely compatible cards I could find don't come with the dongle so I may have to create a franken-card if that's possible.

PS: if you want me to experiment with one of the unknowns and report back let me know which one you think I have higher chances of success.

PPS: unrelated but also about networking, I remember a thread about a WiFi card that could be made to work with WPA instead of WEP under Linux but I can't find it anymore, was I dreaming? Does anyone have the link?

Edited by can't remember 2020-09-17 1:13 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-09-17 8:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Unless its an previously unknown NE2000 chip, I think 20 years out from my starting it, if it's not in the HCL, it's probably not going to work. So I suggest the might-be ne2000 DE-660+

Please let us know successes and failures though, we'll add them!
 Top of the page
can't remember Page Icon Posted 2020-09-17 8:11 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I'll try the DE-660+ (it's apparently a DE-660CT+) and report back (when I receive it, it should take a week or so). The closest thing in the HCL is the DE-660CT which is reported as working using the ne2000.dll driver.

Edited by can't remember 2020-09-17 8:12 PM
 Top of the page
can't remember Page Icon Posted 2020-09-21 3:14 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Update: The might-be NE2K compatible D-Link DE-660+ is NE2K compatible and works well with the Jornada 728. You may want to add it to the HCL if you want.

(1.jpg)

(2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1.jpg (99KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 2.jpg (78KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-09-21 6:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thanks, I have added it to the HCL and your profile badge has been awarded

Don't forget to up-vote it as compatible with your devices - https://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/detail.asp?hcdid=800
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-09-22 3:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

can't remember - 2020-09-16 8:04 PM
PPS: unrelated but also about networking, I remember a thread about a WiFi card that could be made to work with WPA instead of WEP under Linux but I can't find it anymore, was I dreaming? Does anyone have the link?

Nope, you were not dreaming. This is quite experimental, but Stefan (_dev-null) managed to make it work. You will need a Wifi card with a Prism 2 chipset and this firmware version (it is possible to upgrade the firmware):
NIC: v1.0.0
PRI: v1.1.1
STA: v1.8.0

Check his post for more details: https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18740&st...
And his website: http://www.sp-net.at/wiki/doku.php?id=jornada_j720
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2020-09-23 9:10 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hi!
Here you can find information about WPA with Prism2 cards: http://www.sp-net.at/wiki/doku.php?id=prism2wifi

Stefan

Edited by _dev-null 2020-09-23 9:11 AM
 Top of the page
can't remember Page Icon Posted 2020-09-23 5:34 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thank you ntware and Stefan, that's the thread and info I was looking for.
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-09-24 4:59 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Do you think the Jornada can work with the RAVpower FileHub Plus? See how the portable router (running OpenWRT) works beautifully with HP100LX (via MS Kismet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-LdxAoGXcA&t

The biggest benefit is the router runs on its own 6,000mAh battery, unlike the more power hungry wifi CF/PCMCIA adapters.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 12