x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-09-18 11:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Today is the 16th birthday of the HPC:Factor community forums.

There aren't many around any more who remember the site from before 2004, but in the small hours that evening i finished coding up the first form template and and set it live.... to the admins.

The site had been without any forums for a while, after S|HPC got deleted and I lost ce320, so it was nice to get a open line of communication back with the community after all the chaos of the previous months. It took a long time though as for some reason it hadn't been high on my priorities list.

If you build it, they will come... and come you did. A few of you are still here too. Something that has humbled me more and more as time goes by.

A lot of hours, frustration and energy has gone into keeping this old code online. Keeping it clear of spam was an engineering nightmare as well as a moderating one, especially in the early years. In the end, i invented technology to keep it at bay, and for the most part, it has worked. We've got a great community, even if it is small and fairly quiet now.

ce320 would have been 20 7 days ago, 11th September 2000. There aren't many sites still around with that pedigree. The code for ce320 was the engineering basis of HPC:Factor, so I guess in a way, she still is.

Happy birthday(s) to the 300,000 lines of code that is this site. My worn top three nub fingers are the testament to my typing every single character!

Does anyone out there still remember S|HPC and ce320?

Top of the page Quote Reply
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-09-18 11:47 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Happy birthday! I originally signed up in 2005 I believe, wish I could remember my old user.
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-09-19 2:18 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Happy Birthday from Japan!

I remember finding this site back in 2004.
I had the Sigmarion 1, and was serving web traffic with CEHTTP on it back then.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-09-19 2:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Hard to believe I've been here 15 of those 16 years. Time sure flies when you're having fun.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-09-19 8:55 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2020-09-19 2:23 AM

Hard to believe I've been here 15 of those 16 years. Time sure flies when you're having fun.
You're having fun? Damn, I've not been working you hard enough have I! That'll never do! Go and add some SCL entries

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-09-19 10:34 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This is the oldest public thread in the database: https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4

We miss Chiark... for his wit... and his occasional alcohol hilarity. He also introduced me to Muse. Good times.
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2020-09-20 1:16 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Happy birthday!

I first saw this site and Rich's HPCNEC around Christmas 2006, if I recall correctly, when I was lusting after devices I didn't have the money to buy.

I didn't join until I actually got a MobilePro 900 in early 2008. I've pretty much worn out my interest in old hardware, and am waiting for the keyboard to come out for my Pinephone. Then at least I'll have the form factor back, along with calling capability.
wyrm Page Icon Posted 2020-09-21 10:00 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Congratulations!

I registered in 2006, the time I was dreaming of owning a HP720 but didn't have the cash

Later I took the opportunity when smartphones replaced pda's in general to build my collection. Now I have most desired models, but still looking for some more.
And I still love tinkering with the lovely machines from time to time and this website is THE place to find info to help me get the most out of my babies. Thanks for still being here!
torch Page Icon Posted 2020-10-19 5:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Happy Birthday! Have some good memories! I must say, with 100% respect, the site redesign has aged well and it still looks great in my opinion.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-10-19 5:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, v2.6 has aged well. I'm the most surprised at that. It's had some mods over the years, such as some responsive design, but it doesn't look horribly dated - the forum is the worst offender.

There was a HPC:Factor v3.0 design you know :whistles:
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-10-19 5:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Happy Birthday, HPCFactor!

And a big THANK YOU to C:Amie for your hard work to create the websites!

I registered in June 2005....so, been here for most of this ride....and really enjoy it a lot.

Appreciate you and everyone else that has been so helpful in my HPC journey.

Best,

Mark
torch Page Icon Posted 2020-10-19 5:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hahah, I didn't know, or I simply forgot - I just mean as a website in general in 2020, it's perfect. I just am very disappointed you didn't add the Version FYI for Office 2019. I'm just teasing

Edit: That's awesome you've been here that long! June 2005 - that's awesome ! I registered in August 2005 under my original handle of "tenjeangosi"

Edited by torch 2020-10-19 5:42 PM
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-10-20 3:44 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I was one of the last to get a membership in ce320. Then I believe it went down for a time and I know somewhere in my compuserve archive, I have an email from C:Amie telling me to sit tight, hpcfactor was on its way.

True to his word, he was,
Jake
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-20 5:40 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Having registered for about a month, I already find this communiy is a real exception among all the places about vintage devices I used to go. All those forums about mini notebooks (libretto, antique mini thinkpads) and Palm PDAs were long gone. Despite the relatively small number of active members, the organization of resources here is simply top notch. Non-intrusive and ad-free, quite to the contrary of what M$ does.
On the other hand, being basically non-FB i am not interested in the small handheld related groups out there. Never got used to the transient and disorganized communications. Useful info is all over the place and is a real pain to track down, not to mention the dreadful way the platform is operating on the whole.

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-10-20 12:55 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Jake - 2020-10-20 3:44 AM

I was one of the last to get a membership in ce320. Then I believe it went down for a time and I know somewhere in my compuserve archive, I have an email from C:Amie telling me to sit tight, hpcfactor was on its way.

True to his word, he was,
Jake
Careful Jake, talk like that might get me a reputation

That is right though, we go completely offline because I let ce320 fall into a situation where a third party had a controlling influence. When things went wrong for them, my site wasn't there the next day.
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.343 - Cached queries : 52 - Executed queries : 30