x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Finally getting my first HP Jornada 680 after over 20 years of wanting one!

chronic8000 Page Icon Posted 2020-09-22 9:55 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

So I finally have an HP Jornada 680 coming today I got from eBay. I managed (somehow) to win the auction for £1.40 + £4 P&P an amazing price considering what these were when they launched. I have wanted one ever since I saw it in Dixons here in the UK in 1998 was it? I don't have the cradle, charger or anything else with it but luckily I think I have a 12v power supply that will fit and the cradle isn't that expensive. Is there anything I should try when I get it working? The listing says it worked the last time he tried it but as he lost the charger he can't test it anymore. I know the batteries fail in these so I might be rebuilding that at some point. It does power on with just a charger and no battery though right anyone know? Thanks and great site
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-09-22 3:01 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Yup, the 680 will boot without a working battery as long as it is plugged to the correct power source. Just make sure you get a good enough 12V power supply. The J720 requires a 2.5A PSU if I'm not mistaken. The 680 might need something similar.
 Top of the page
chronic8000 Page Icon Posted 2020-09-23 1:55 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

ntware - 2020-09-22 3:01 PM

Yup, the 680 will boot without a working battery as long as it is plugged to the correct power source. Just make sure you get a good enough 12V power supply. The J720 requires a 2.5A PSU if I'm not mistaken. The 680 might need something similar.

Thanks yeah think I got a good enough psu I will find out when it hopefully finally arrives later today.
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-09-23 2:50 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I also received my Jornada 720 a couple of days ago and feel so happy with the build quality of the machine. My situation is similar as the machine came with the cradle but no charger. I am using a generic charger with swappable charging heads which says can output 3.6VA max. So far chraging works fine. The battery doens't seem to hold a long charge but I've learned that replacing the 18650 cells inside is quite straightforward.
 Top of the page
chronic8000 Page Icon Posted 2020-10-22 1:40 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Cool. Getting anything on it is interesting. I tried a CF to dual SD adaptor but no joy it didn't work. I got a dock but can't get USB working on it for ActiveSync. The only way I found of putting files on it is fixing up an old XP laptop I had and using infrared. I got a Cisco Aironet 350 series wifi card but just need drivers. I will have to sub here when I get paid to get the driver.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10